[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2019

Warren Lew

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My comments on my race today may be distorted towards the darker side by 4 consecutive nights of insomnia. Could be it's the sleeplessness that made me grumpy or maybe it was just one of those days.

I slid into the 1D holding pen feeling a bit shell shocked and a little nauseous after my peanutbutter, almond milk, banana and wheat germ smoothie, and had a fit of uncontrollable yawning.

Another mamil pulled in next to me, heartily hailed his mates and warned them against coming too close because he was sick. To prove the point he coughed all over us. Honestly Tim, you're a walking cliche, slightly overweight middle aged man lining up to do an endurance event with a chest infection. Not to mention that there are loads of events ahead that I'd love to miss out on because you've spluttered on the peleton.

This kind of dingbattery dominated the ride for me.

1D is too fast for me, I knew this and by the time we were headed to Steenberg I was riding with 1F. 

Lots of concertina effect and nervous shouts all around. Managed to avoid a spill just outside fishoek - fell out of the main group halfway up smits and then reformed and rode well and fast with a smaller group through to noordhoek where almost got taken out by another guy who suddenly soft pedalled and veered across my path because he was perving at the woman riding on the inside. If it had been a Gillette advert I might have taken him to one side in an unctuous display of morality. As it was I told him to f#$#ing leave the girls half his age alone and just ride his bike.

I wasn't in a good mood.

Chappies and suikerbossie were uneventful, pushed as hard as I could away from the group I was riding with to try and beat 3.30 but missed it by a minute and some seconds - and they caught me 500m short of the line. Then another #@$wit who'd been sitting in this batch of 1C D E and F stragglers all through Seapoint, suddenly realised that he was actually Mark Cavendish and came barging through almost clipping my handlebar to take a TDF stage win.

I got my medal and my Coke, told him he was a tosser "Sorry I didn't want to get in anyone's way" and mooched home via the deserted finish.

Type 2 fun no doubt. New power records. New PR's out of Camps bay and Seapoint which is nice to look at on Strava.

But honestly - a split millisecond here and there would have been the difference between having a relaxed lunch with friends this afternoon and a painful and expensive trip to the bike shop via A&E.

I know I know ... take a spoonful... dunno if I'll do it again though. Nova Eroica next week and little getaway with SO.

Watched the live stream coverage from the start of the elite batch. Very impressive, and the visual coverage all the way through was brilliant. Odd audio hiccup in the background, and interview timing drags , but really enjoyed the whole thing. Well done to whoever put it together

Agreed!  Watched the event from across the pond.  Great visuals reminding me of home.  Great that it was free for all to watch and not limited DSTV and the such like.

Even better was watching the MTB pros handing out spades of HTFU.  Bring on the Epic.

Congrats to Cherise and Sam...

I agree with this - I was 2 groups too high based on 99er

The seeding system is a stuff up. Using the 99er and tdeppa to push PPA members up the start groups was a monumental disaster. Wheel suckers everywhere. MOst we shed on Edinburgh the rest just fell off the back when we hit Smits and we hit it hard. Think I was smashing 52x18 up there (tail wind helps).

But seriously, okes with BMI >24 in 1A.....really??!!!  Get real Racetec. You do them a disservice. Stick to your own seeding rules and stop manipulating the game to capture memberships

Then another #@$wit who'd been sitting in this batch of 1C D E and F stragglers all through Seapoint, suddenly realised that he was actually Mark Cavendish and came barging through almost clipping my handlebar to take a TDF stage win.

Why do so many do that? Do they realise it is for 1735th place.

I went around with my wife today. And what a ride from 3D. No shouting, no irresponsible weaving, no gunning for the 12425th place at the line. Just great conversation, polite, "passing on your right" and some awesome memories with the wife.

Maybe a fun ride should just be that - a fun ride, even in the wind

EDIT (3D not 3G - my wife is adamant)

Edited by daniemare

I struggled a bit here and there. Last year I did 4h16. I also struggled to get groups. They formed and split up all the damn time. Too many times I had to do an interval after following a dead wheel. Was definitely slower through Blue Route. Could not find one decent bunch through there.

You guys must be seriously unfit

Sub 4 is standard

I was gobsmacked !!

In 2C I kept on catching up to a lady but I don't know how many times - still confused to where she passed me but blow me down I was having to catch her again and again - Her name Salome - 

Nothing unusual you may say except that she must have been about 60.

BIG respect Salome many a man succumbed to your prowess today.

I  doff my helmet to you today.

(Her time 3:37:40)

Edited by porqui

Sub 4 is standard

For whom? For what age group? For what tyoe of build (assuming the guy is in good shape to start with)? Some folk run well, some swim well, some cycle well. Some can do all three well. Etc etc. Sub-4 is maybe the mean for the entrants in this race but its hardly like you can apply the mean of a race like this to individual circumstances. Eg, I'm way over the average age. If I don't do sub-4, am I seriously unfit? What about the 75 year old tannie?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

What was with the hay bales and fencing on the on ramp? Why narrow the road? There was some very strange road narrowing today, like in Simon’s town, narrowed whole race to one lane with cones for no reason then it went back to 3 lanes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny you mention that. I thought is was also super random and it looked like it was meant for cars that wouldn't exist on a full road closure course.

Anyway, like I said in the description in the video. Noticeable improvements particularly with the refreshment area at the finish :thumbup:  so kudos to the organisers.

Agreed!  Watched the event from across the pond.  Great visuals reminding me of home.  Great that it was free for all to watch and not limited DSTV and the such like.

Even better was watching the MTB pros handing out spades of HTFU.  Bring on the Epic.

Congrats to Cherise and Sam...

Must suck for the wannabe TdF sprinters to be pipped on the line by a MTBer.  :whistling:

I was gobsmacked !!

In 2C I kept on catching up to a lady but I don't know how many times - still confused to where she passed me but blow me down I was having to catch her again and again - Her name Salome - 

Nothing unusual you may say except that she must have been 60plus if not 65+.

BIG respect Salome many a man succumbed to your prowess today.

I  doff my helmet to you today.

Not to worry. I was passed by a lady, she looked to be deep in her 70s with 16 tours done from the 3H group.

Sub 4 is standard

For you, maybe. The real heroes today were the backenders that braved the wind despite perhaps not being fit enough. The McGregor development riders riding with single speed MTBs and finishing - not in 4 hours. The guys towing buggies. The first-timers. The dad and his young daughter / son on the back of a tandem. The ouballie doing his 30th and struggling up Suikerbossie.

Funny you mention that. I thought is was also super random and it looked like it was meant for cars that wouldn't exist on a full road closure course.

:thumbup: so kudos to the organisers.

Cool clips.

Looking at the spacing of the cones is there any chance they're covering cat-eyes? Crazy idea if that's the case.

We must've been riding pretty near to each other, I was on the left hand side in a similar position to you - black Felt, pink Sea Rescue top.

End of blue route crash I was far left just ahead of it I think.

I was just to the inside of you at that crash scene.

Had my camera off to save battery

Anyway, like I said in the description in the video. Noticeable improvements particularly with the refreshment area at the finish :thumbup:  so kudos to the organisers.