Canyon Aeroad - Read if you planning on purchasing one

button

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was once shafted by a bike manufacturer. Head tube cracked and I had to send them the head tube with part of the top and down tubes and the bb shell. I went bos with the angle grinder and sent the requested sections to them only for them to turn around and tell me they can't warranty the frame because I could have cracked the frame while destroying it. Nice little Italian company building bikes for a British brand. The shop was so ashamed they replaced my frame and covered the shipping.

Still I won't buy a bike from that manufacturer again.  In the OP's case Canyon replaced 2 frames.... That says a lot. So they definitely honored the warranty.

Can't keep giving away new frames if the end user is abusing it.

Would Basso honor warranty fro TT sitting?

T&C...

Basso warrants to the original purchaser that the product is free of defects in material and workmanship for a period of three years from purchase date. Warranty application is subject to the prior registration of your BASSO bike or Microtech part on https://www.bassobikes.com/warranty.html within 10 days from the date of purchase.

The warranty applies to BASSO and MICROTECH branded parts. It is non-transferable to a second owner, even if within the validity period.

This warranty does not cover normal wear and tear, improper assembly, improper follow-up maintenance, installation of components, parts or accessories not originally intended for or compatible with the bicycle as sold, damage or failure due to accident, misuse, abuse, or neglect, labor charges for part replacement or changeover, transport costs to return the warranty parts to the dealer, country distributor or to Basso Italian warehouse.

The warranty does not apply to custom paint or finishes.

This limited warranty does not cover products used in rental operations.

Important warning tips: Carbon fiber damages are often not visible to a naked eye. After a major impact, or after several minor impacts, a carbon part looks normal but this does not mean that is not damaged.

There are a number of situation that can damage a carbon fiber part, we like to bring to your attention what are the most hidden every day events that can cause an inner damage to your carbon bike: Such as taking at high speed a pothole or speed deterrents curbs across your way, or even simply the water drains that you encounter on your everyday training road. You should always exercise care and good judgment whenever you ride.

If you feel a major impact, not necessarily in an accident, or experience one of the above situation, please take your bike or carbon part to a BASSO dealer and have your bike inspected for your own safety. An annual general inspection and service to your bike is also suggested for your own safety.

I was once shafted by a bike manufacturer. Head tube cracked and I had to send them the head tube with part of the top and down tubes and the bb shell. I went bos with the angle grinder and sent the requested sections to them only for them to turn around and tell me they can't warranty the frame because I could have cracked the frame while destroying it. Nice little Italian company building bikes for a British brand. The shop was so ashamed they replaced my frame and covered the shipping.

Still I won't buy a bike from that manufacturer again. In the OP's case Canyon replaced 2 frames.... That says a lot. So they definitely honored the warranty.

Can't keep giving away new frames if the end user is abusing it.

Would Basso honor warranty fro TT sitting?

Actualy now you mention it.....

My first mtb frame (Marin full rigid no suspension) was replaced under warranty after I bent the top tube (little ripples near where it joins the head tube) when I bottomed out on some stairs leaving my place of work one day.... and yes I told them how it happened, even got an upgrade to the next higher frame model.

Don’t think I ever sat on it though

I thought when I took the photo, should I take the tube off, nah, patch looks busy with the pooches, he won’t have time to spot that... wrong.

Sure fizik will void the warranty on saddle for hanging such massive suitcases off it...

Yeah had to take him to vet when he found an article about what Darryl claimed happened to him. My Impey got an immediate allergic reaction to the BS he read.

maybe he was just doing what the pros do

It was, but because he saw a Pro do it, it was considered normal usage and Giant had to do warranty replacements.

http://i.imgur.com/xzeXJRu.gif

Hi Button,

Sorry to hear about your problems! I was also comparing this frame, together with a Canyon CF SLX EVO and a Pinarello F10, but maybe should relook my choices!

On this very issue; while watching the recent TdF, the commentators Matthew Keenan and Robbie McEwen actually discussed the merits of sitting o the top tube while descending down a mountain. This seems to be a more recent way to go aero (since CF was seen doing it)and Robbie particularly stated while this riding position does have some aero advantages, which pro's can/might exploit, he certainly would not recommend it for us weekend warriors as this adds significant stresses onto the top tube for which a bike was not designed, any bike! This goes as far as not sitting on it while waiting at the start of a race!

His recommendation was to stay of it and rather lean forward over the handlebars.

While some riders have had no issues on their bikes ever, it does not mean that it will not happen, especially while hitting a bump in the road while sitting on it. The design strength of the top tube is supposed to be longitudinally, not laterally. Also, a lot of others factors come into it such as rider weight, road surface conditions etc.

Just saying.....

I hope you come right!

Hi Button,

Sorry to hear about your problems! I was also comparing this frame, together with a Canyon CF SLX EVO and a Pinarello F10, but maybe should relook my choices!

On this very issue; while watching the recent TdF, the commentators Matthew Keenan and Robbie McEwen actually discussed the merits of sitting o the top tube while descending down a mountain. This seems to be a more recent way to go aero (since CF was seen doing it)and Robbie particularly stated while this riding position does have some aero advantages, which pro's can/might exploit, he certainly would not recommend it for us weekend warriors as this adds significant stresses onto the top tube for which a bike was not designed, any bike! This goes as far as not sitting on it while waiting at the start of a race!

His recommendation was to stay of it and rather lean forward over the handlebars.

While some riders have had no issues on their bikes ever, it does not mean that it will not happen, especially while hitting a bump in the road while sitting on it. The design strength of the top tube is supposed to be longitudinally, not laterally. Also, a lot of others factors come into it such as rider weight, road surface conditions etc.

Just saying.....

I hope you come right!

Just get your facts straight, he is not a mere Weekend Warrior, he's one level down from Pro. 

Just be careful where you sit... BikeHub might not feel the need to renew this topic if people keep throwing their weight around incorrectly

All you hubbers are heartless cracking jokes about the poor OP's misfortune.

Actualy now you mention it.....

My first mtb frame (Marin full rigid no suspension) was replaced under warranty after I bent the top tube (little ripples near where it joins the head tube) when I bottomed out on some stairs leaving my place of work one day.... and yes I told them how it happened, even got an upgrade to the next higher frame model.

Don’t think I ever sat on it though

Back in my day, when we damaged a top tube, we just bent it straight again.

I once hit a car on Bird Street in Stellenbosch as it turned across traffic into the Caltex, while doing about 30km/h. I had those same ripples on the top tube (how the wheels and everything else were fine is beyond me).

I took the bike to Flandria, and together we just bent it straight. Together. For free. Rode that bike for years after that. Steel is real!

But, I would never have even considered sitting on the top tube. You only sat on the top tube of your Invader because your parents were "future proofing" themselves and had bought you a bike 4 sizes too big!

post-275-0-03604000-1535542418_thumb.jpg