Canyon Aeroad - Read if you planning on purchasing one

button

Please share your engineering background with us.

How many successful frames have you designed and produced to market as reference?

The Canyon response said it for us. It is not designed to withstand weight on the top tube. 

Its now up to you/us/them to decide whether the tuck is part of normal current day riding. That will answer whether Canyon are clearly being negligent in building their current day bikes.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m struggling to understand the relevance of this?

Are we saying that because people have done it before, that it should become accepted normal usage?

For sure!

Suicide has been around for 1000s of years so we should all kill ourselves - it's standard.

I certainly wouldn’t “push them from a legal point of view”. If they push back, they could claim the cost of all of the replacement frames from the OP (based on the OP’s material non-disclosure). That would be the more likely legal outcome IMHO.

Non disclosure only applies if you are requested to disclose information and you choose not to. He never was.

And a simple internet search shows that it's a common issue worldwide. After 2 identical breakages, and a large number of related breakages on these frames, they really should have at least warned the OP against sitting on the top tube. 

The Canyon response said it for us. It is not designed to withstand weight on the top tube. 

Its now up to you/us/them to decide whether the tuck is part of normal current day riding. That will answer whether Canyon are clearly being negligent in building their current day bikes.

That hardly means it's a flaw. 

If the seat-tube had the same issue, I would tend to agree, it's supposed to withstand forces with direct load on it, but the top-tube?

Come on.

You're right. I make my own food but I'm not a qualified chef.

It's exactly the same thing, I guess he can design and build his own carbon frames based on that logic. 

Nothing is really stopping him, given he has the money of course to build the frame.

If you see a helicopter in a tree, you don't need to be a pilot to know that someone FL***** Up.

So once you have cracked 3 frames, you dont need a degree to know that YOU are doing something wrong.

Sitting on the top tube is NOT normal cycling. 

Just because some other pilot landed in a tree does not make it normal to land in trees. 

Edit:Spelling

Edited by Quagga

But why not?

Why then every time I switch on the TV these days is a pro doing that exact thing? They're not up a  tree..

Are we not trying in some way to emulate our favourite teams and cyclists?

Buy the food they eat, buy the kit they wear, buy the training programs they use, buy the bikes they use - oh wait now we have a problem..

I'm with OP on this one.

when pro's first got into the super tuck we were gobsmacked.

now, its so normal we barely bat an eye.

find me any young aspiring cyclist who does not emulate their hero's and i'll buy you a cookie.

we've all tried the super tuck, or attempted to try it to see what it feels like, and if the benefits are tangible.

The Canyon Aeroad, is a newly designed bicycle and should take into account the strains a pro/any cyclist would put on it. These strains inevitably must include the ability to perform a super tuck.

i believe in this fully.

come on those opposed to OP - would you willingly buy a bicycle that states that it does not support a super tuck?

Edited by Furbz

But why not?

Why then every time I switch on the TV these days is a pro doing that exact thing? They're not up a  tree..

Are we not trying in some way to emulate our favourite teams and cyclists?

Buy the food they eat, buy the kit they wear, buy the training programs they use, buy the bikes they use - oh wait now we have a problem..

And by buying a super expensive "team edition" bike.

If Canyon did not even ask for either if the first 2 frames back, it means (a) they really don’t give a **** in determining the cause of the failure or (b) they know the top tube is weak and therefore replace the frame without asking questions. Either one is concerning.

Replacing frames without question means design flaws are hidden behind ‘good customer service’.

What speed did you get down Sandton Drive? I've done 95 on a road bike and 83 on a MTB. My Boet has done over 100 down there but he drops like a fat kid on a see saw. 

Non disclosure only applies if you are requested to disclose information and you choose not to. He never was.

And a simple internet search shows that it's a common issue worldwide. After 2 identical breakages, and a large number of related breakages on these frames, they really should have at least warned the OP against sitting on the top tube.

What is the “large number of related breakages on these frames...”?

5, 10, 100, 1000?

Vs sales numbers

By size and rider weight.

I believe they have a weight limit on the frames of 120kg static

If you see a helicopter in a tree, you don't need to be a pilot to know that someone FL***** Up.

So once you have cracked 3 frames, you dont need a degree to know that YOU are doing something wrong.

Just because some other pilot landed in a tree does not make it normal to land in trees. 

Edit:Spelling

This is, so far, the poorest attempt to explain why we shouldn't sit on tip tubes. Helicopters in trees?? How many helicopters have you seen in trees compared to the amount of cyclist on their top tube? This is ridiculous. I dont disagree with you but dont come up with fantasy situations to explain something that happens in the real world all the time.

What speed did you get down Sandton Drive? I've done 95 on a road bike and 83 on a MTB. My Boet has done over 100 down there but he drops like a fat kid on a see saw. 

Neither here nor there... but about 95