Canyon Aeroad - Read if you planning on purchasing one

button

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with OP on this one.

when pro's first got into the super tuck we were gobsmacked.

now, its so normal we barely bat an eye.

find me any young aspiring cyclist who does not emulate their hero's and i'll buy you a cookie.

we've all tried the super tuck, or attempted to try it to see what it feels like, and if the benefits are tangible.

The Canyon Aeroad, is a newly designed bicycle and should take into account the strains a pro/any cyclist would put on it. These strains inevitably must include the ability to perform a super tuck.

i believe in this fully.

come on those opposed to OP - would you willingly buy a bicycle that states that it does not support a super tuck?

This is not about being for or against the OP, maybe lets try and not turn this into a Red vs Blue issue, where we pick a side then, fight for that side unconditionally. 

This is by no means a clear cut issue.

This is, so far, the poorest attempt to explain why we shouldn't sit on tip tubes. Helicopters in trees?? How many helicopters have you seen in trees compared to the amount of cyclist on their top tube? This is ridiculous. I dont disagree with you but dont come up with fantasy situations to explain something that happens in the real world all the time.

How do you KNOW that the pro's SIT on their TT? And that they don't hover?

Just because you have seen something does not mean you can do it. Peter Sagan is 73kg and you are 85, so maybe there is a weight limit?

What Canyon could have replied "We do not have a problem with the supertuck as long as you weigh less than 75kg, and do not SIT on the TT but have 90% of weight on the pedals"

"However you stated that you SIT on the TT and hit a pothole, sorry that is not covered"

Now back to helicopters. if you see on trying to land in a tree.....RUN (trust me, I have seen a few in trees and none were good)

Does he need an engineering background to be able to recognise a possible design flaw?

Plenty people do their taxes on their own, but don't necessarily need a degree in taxation. . . 

I think many of the posts in the last few pages of this thread is missing a big point, and in doing so, perpetuating the misconception of a design flaw: it's not the sitting on the top tube that's the problem. That's static loading.

It's the dynamic condition of a large mass shock loading the top tube that is causing the cracking.  This was what the OP described,when riding the top tube over a rough surface.

In my view, the bike has no design flaws. The OP violated the terms of the warrantee, but got away with it twice. He did not deceive Canyon, he was simply lucky they didnt' ask more questions upfront. Zero need to demonize the company or its products by perpetuating nonsense.

This post has left me dumbfounded. I was seriously contemplating buying a Canyon as I loved the look of the bike, and considered their pricing to be really fantastic. That opinion has now changed dramatically. Aerotuck on the crossbar has become a fundamental part of any fast descent in raod riding. If they don't understand that, then they don't know the simple fundamentals of riding. 
I am now no longer considering this brand. No way im riding down Sandton drive and having the bike crack under me!!! I cant imagine how you must have "kakked" yourself when that happened!!
Many thanks for shedding light on what has happened to your bike. I am truly sorry that it has happened at your expense... Canyon needs to wake up really fast

I think many of the posts in the last few pages of this thread is missing a big point, and in doing so, perpetuating the misconception of a design flaw: it's not the sitting on the top tube that's the problem. That's static loading.

It's the dynamic condition of a large mass shock loading the top tube that is causing the cracking.  This was what the OP described,when riding the top tube over a rough surface.

In my view, the bike has no design flaws. The OP violated the terms of the warrantee, but got away with it twice. He did not deceive Canyon, he was simply lucky they didnt' ask more questions upfront. Zero need to demonize the company or its products by perpetuating nonsense.

...get out of here with your logic. 

This post has left me dumbfounded. I was seriously contemplating buying a Canyon as I loved the look of the bike, and considered their pricing to be really fantastic. That opinion has now changed dramatically. Aerotuck on the crossbar has become a fundamental part of any fast descent in raod riding. If they don't understand that, then they don't know the simple fundamentals of riding. 

I am now no longer considering this brand. No way im riding down Sandton drive and having the bike crack under me!!! I cant imagine how you must have "kakked" yourself when that happened!!

Many thanks for shedding light on what has happened to your bike. I am truly sorry that it has happened at your expense... Canyon needs to wake up really fast

Before slanting Canyon, call up every other manufacturer and propose this issue and ask what they think. 

I'll humbly apologize if you can find a brand that in writing approves top-tube riding and will accept warranty claims for any issues as a result. 

Before slanting Canyon, call up every other manufacturer and propose this issue and ask what they think. 

I'll humbly apologize if you can find a brand that in writing approves top-tube riding and will accept warranty claims for any issues as a result. 

:thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

I’m struggling to understand the relevance of this?

Are we saying that because people have done it before, that it should become accepted normal usage?

DieseInDust claimed the aero tuck is pretty new.  I'm claiming it's not new.  I'm offering proof of my claim.

Absolutely right

I gotta say - if I got the last message from a customer complete with:

I'm a CAT 1 rider (do we have those in SA?)

I took offense.

Sarcasm on....right?

DO NOT SIT

30% duty and tax!!!!!

Impact your sales

I ride with a huge group - pros, managers, blah blah

I want a new frame

Social media threat

I'd have also gone the "sorry, we have already said, have a nice day" response.

DieseInDust claimed the aero tuck is pretty new.  I'm claiming it's not new.  I'm offering proof of my claim.

Cool.

I agree that it has been used before. But is has only recently (probably since Froome's famous attack) been popularised and used on a much wider scale, especially by mortal amateurs and the super cool immortal E2E guys.

Ok we can close this now....

According to the UCI you are not allowed to sit on the TT. So the pro's are doing something illegal.

According to that the bike manufacturer did design the bike to be used in a certain way .... and sitting on the TT is NOT the way.

Here you go

http://www.uci.ch/mm/Document/News/Rulesandregulation/16/51/61/ClarificationGuideoftheUCITechnicalRegulation-2017.01.01-ENG_English.pdf

post-31289-0-60337300-1535442671_thumb.jpg

Here are some other PRO's asking for the rule to be enforced.

Now if you want to say, but they do it.... Are you going to dope also then?

post-31289-0-88361500-1535442769_thumb.jpg

Edited by Quagga

According to the UCI you are not allowed to sit on the TT. So the pro's are doing something illegal.

According to that the bike manufacturer did design the bike to be used in a certain way .... and sitting on the TT is NOT the way.

Here you go

http://www.uci.ch/mm/Document/News/Rulesandregulation/16/51/61/ClarificationGuideoftheUCITechnicalRegulation-2017.01.01-ENG_English.pdf

attachicon.gif3.JPG

attachicon.gif4.JPG

how does an Aussie ask for the bill?

Here you go

attachicon.gif3.JPG

attachicon.gif4.JPG

Oh yeah? Well I think.... Ummm then surely..... Hmmmm.

I am offended.

Edit: It makes you wonder.

Edited by Eldron

What is the “large number of related breakages on these frames...”?

5, 10, 100, 1000?

Vs sales numbers

By size and rider weight.

I believe they have a weight limit on the frames of 120kg static

Quite a few from 1 basic search :)

Edited by GrahamS2

I’m struggling to understand the relevance of this?

Are we saying that because people have done it before, that it should become accepted normal usage?

It’ the monkey rule

Monkey see monkey do....

No offence to any monkeys out there