What I've learned from the Stolen Bikes page

Irons

I keep an eye on the Stolen Bikes section, mostly with the hope of helping someone retrieve their beloved, but also to keep an eye on the activity in my hood and honestly, to learn how to ensure my beloved does not get legs.

From this I've learned the following:
  • Thule bike rack left alone = stolen bike
  • Try not to live in Stellenbosch, and if you must, try not to own a bike
  • Someone will steal your bike at a race; never take your eyes off it
  • A u-lock is the only effective means of securing your bike while commuting
  • Someone is looking to steal your bike; take the time to secure it in your home/garage
  • Your bike will get stolen from the back of the bakkie (secure it)
  • Never, under any circumstances sell a bike to someone unless the bank has confirmed that the money is cleared (cleared!) in your account

What have I missed?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

literally LOL'd at the first 3 points :lol:.

guess this is probably similar to a topic being discussed in another (insurance) thread, but i always have a look and if It's an "older" bike i'm immediately more suspicious of the poster whether it is actually warranted or not. guess thats the biased 3rd world rabobi-sense tingling :blush:

I also check the bikes occasionally to match against the fancy bikes I see some people riding in rags. (Luckily?) no luck so far in matching any, just more confusion as to how fancy bikes and rags come together.

stay away from the tik koppe in cape town, they'll highjack your bike and sell it for a R10 fix

Easier said than done!

I trust nobody when I ride/run alone,  I've pulled my pepper spray out on a pretty lady running with her dog once...

OK jokes a side though, I never temp fate. If my bike is on the car it means I'm leaving , I won't leave it on the car unattended. I also ALWAYS tie it down. If they want to steal it while I'm in traffic then it's not that easy cause I've used a long tie down and the boef would need to release the rachet first before the tie down starts to slack. 

I've had 2 attempts with this. Both while waiting at robots. 

I make sure I tie her down pretty well though. 

WTF... the freaking cheek whilst you bloody in the car.

I would hit the reverse gear hard. they can then become part of the bicycle and rack they clearly love so much

I've had 2 attempts with this. Both while waiting at robots. 

I make sure I tie her down pretty well though. 

Really? While on the move. That is nuts. Where about. Pretty sure insurance would get out of that as  a lot of general insurance need it to be in a locked tray, with a canopy and under a canvas cover. As if! 

Reminds me of this: 

When bike touring through Germany, my mate went into the market to get food, while I was waiting outside a little way off from the bike, with a clear field of view. A German skollie was hovering around the bikes and started looking around. When he saw me staring at him, he walked away smiling.

Bikes are safe nowhere! 

I would hit the reverse gear hard. 

Instinctively did this when he tried. Luckily I was the last inline while waiting for the green light. But its a terrible idea. As I nudged back I saw a car coming up behind me. The bakkie jerked back just enough to scare him off though.

Really? While on the move. 

No not moving. While waiting for a red robot to change. 

Edited by popcorn_skollie

I keep an eye on the Stolen Bikes section, mostly with the hope of helping someone retrieve their beloved, but also to keep an eye on the activity in my hood and honestly, to learn how to ensure my beloved does not get legs.

• Thule bike rack left alone = stolen bike
  • Someone is looking to steal your bike; take the time to secure it in your home/garage
  • Never, under any circumstances sell a bike to someone unless the bank has confirmed that the money is cleared (cleared!) in your account

What have I missed?

i have just learnt that i have a plural hubber   :whistling:

Edited by Iron

Instinctively did this when he tried. Luckily I was the last inline while waiting for the green light. But its a terrible idea. As I nudged back I saw a car coming up behind me. The bakkie jerked back just enough to scare him off though.

No not moving. While waiting for a red robot to change. 

We were stopped at a red light once and the car in front of me had a couple of bikes on the rack.

Next moment two low lifes appeared out of nowhere grabbing and ripping at the bikes trying to get them off the rack.

I drove forward into them with every intention of trapping them between the cars and hopefully breaking their legs. Unfortuantly one just ran off and although I trapped the other he managed to wriggle free and disappeared.

This was all over in seconds and they were gone.

Best thing about the whole episode was the lady driving was not the least bit grateful and more worried that I might have damaged her car :(

• Thule bike rack Is never secure(tell your friends)left alone = stolen bike

What have I missed?

almost every time someone joins this forum and thier first post is "my bike was stolen " then it says "off my Thule Bike rack that was locked "

make it your business to tell everyone you know who says they want to start cycling that car bike racks are never secure .

they are an invitation to thieves :ph34r: