The Veganism Thread

Odinson

No, last time I drank milk was about 2 years ago.

I got terrible acid reflux from drinking milk.

I use to drink 550ml a day back then.

How much milk do you drink per day?

What are your reason for not going plant-based/vegan yet?

I drink about 450ml a day. My reason is I like a bit of everything.

Got that flexitarian cook book from woolies a while back. Some lekker veggie/vegan dishes in there.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, last time I drank milk was about 2 years ago.

I got terrible acid reflux from drinking milk.

I use to drink 550ml a day back then.

How much milk do you drink per day?

What are your reason for not going plant-based/vegan yet?

If you don’t drink milk, then you don’t have to worry about your claims of it causing osteoporosis.

I don’t drink milk.

From an evolutionary standpoint you shouldn't be drinking milk. A dog won't go and suck on a cow's tits.

Evolution is not based on reason or logic, or some sort of intelligent design principles. Dumb **** often happens. Look at Panda bears and their carnivorous gut paired with a low nutrition diet of bamboo. Look at the laryngeal nerve of Giraffes. You can do whatever you like. If it keeps you alive long enough to propagate your genes, job's a good un. Evolution is a a dead end argument when applied to humans because we adapt our environment to us, not the other way around. I respect vegans for taking a stand against industrial farming and cruelty; I wish I was principled enough, but I'm too lazy, I like meat too much and viable alternatives are currently too expensive. But don't come with pseudo-scientific rubbish. It really leaves a bad taste in one's mouth, more so when you try to marshal your arguments on a scientific basis. This muddle headed, ignorant and low-effort approach is why we had idiots that support anti-vaxxers and think that Bill Gates is trying to implant people with microchips. You're part of the problem.

Evolution is not based on reason or logic, or some sort of intelligent design principles. Dumb **** often happens. Look at Panda bears and their carnivorous gut paired with a low nutrition diet of bamboo. Look at the laryngeal nerve of Giraffes. You can do whatever you like. If it keeps you alive long enough to propagate your genes, job's a good un. Evolution is a a dead end argument when applied to humans because we adapt our environment to us, not the other way around. I respect vegans for taking a stand against industrial farming and cruelty; I wish I was principled enough, but I'm too lazy, I like meat too much and viable alternatives are currently too expensive. But don't come with pseudo-scientific rubbish. It really leaves a bad taste in one's mouth, more so when you try to marshal your arguments on a scientific basis. This muddle headed, ignorant and low-effort approach is why we had idiots that support anti-vaxxers and think that Bill Gates is trying to implant people with microchips. You're part of the problem.

Actually, I kinda agree here.

In my own journey, I did not become a vegan/vegetarian because of science. I also was not emotionally blackmailed into it. It started as exploring different taste options because I got bored with the normal way we cooked. then realised that I felt healthier and more alive (this is extremely subjective) and then began to learn about the environmental and ethical arguments. 

I find that preachy vegans have the exact opposite effect of what they are trying to achieve. If you want to convince someone to come over to your side of the pasture, its generally better to attract them there with something nice, than to shame them for where they currently sit. That just alienates people and makes you a douche. (not you Arabsandals, the preachy vegans)

In my own journey, I did not become a vegan/vegetarian because of science. I also was not emotionally blackmailed into it. It started as exploring different taste options because I got bored with the normal way we cooked. then realised that I felt healthier and more alive (this is extremely subjective) and then began to learn about the environmental and ethical arguments. 

I find that preachy vegans have the exact opposite effect of what they are trying to achieve. If you want to convince someone to come over to your side of the pasture, its generally better to attract them there with something nice, than to shame them for where they currently sit. That just alienates people and makes you a douche. (not you Arabsandals, the preachy vegans)

Ja, I'm not keen on the mental vegans.....they cause more harm than good.

Amen brother (again!).

I'm down to eating meat maybe twice a month. I love meat but the flavour world that opens up when you try decent vegetarian food is awesome.

Meat already has a strong flavour - all you do is add a little flavour on top.

Vegetarian food you start with very little flavour then need to profile, layer and add flavour until it's right.

Agreed on the constitution as well. I can feel the difference when I eat meat so I limit it to a few times a month and then only top quality meat that I savour.

Like most things in life - food doesn't have to be binary and divisive. The weird thing is someone can be a 99.99% vegetarian and nobody cares - remove that last 00.01% and suddenly you're a raving lunatic that hates people who eat meat.

Amen brother (again!).

I'm down to eating meat maybe twice a month. I love meat but the flavour world that opens up when you try decent vegetarian food is awesome.

Vegetarian food you start with very little flavour then need to profile, layer and add flavour until it's right.

Agreed on the constitution as well. I can feel the difference when I eat meat so I limit it to a few times a month and then only top quality meat that I savour.

Like most things in life - food doesn't have to be binary and divisive. The weird thing is someone can be a 99.99% vegetarian and nobody cares - remove that last 00.01% and suddenly you're a raving lunatic that hates people who eat meat.

yep.

We classify ourselves as full time vegetarians, part time vegans.

Labels are silly.

Amen brother (again!).

The irony in eating meat is that you also have to use ‘plants’ (herbs & spices) to make it taste good. Everything bar salt comes from a plant.

At the end of the day it’s spices, herbs and other flavorants we use that actually make everything we eat taste good. It’s also the industry I work in, and it’s truly one the most interesting out there.

“I find that preachy vegans have the exact opposite effect of what they are trying to achieve. If you want to convince someone to come over to your side of the pasture, its generally better to attract them there with something nice, than to shame them for where they currently sit.”

This is the best paragraph on this entire thread, and something that I was trying very hard to tell Odi and here you come and do it in one post.

Bravo

“I find that preachy vegans have the exact opposite effect of what they are trying to achieve. If you want to convince someone to come over to your side of the pasture, its generally better to attract them there with something nice, than to shame them for where they currently sit.”

This is the best paragraph on this entire thread, and something that I was trying very hard to tell Odi and here you come and do it in one post.

Bravo

Has anyone ever met one of these preachy vegans offline? I think I met one once in my lifetime and that's it.

I'd guess most preachy anythings mostly reside online.

Bacon

Nowhere to go from there.

Dear god I love bacon.

I don't feel bad eating a bacon and cheese burger every now and then. Nobody should.

I reckon I'm down 90% in my meat eating. That is about where my moral compass and my tongue reach equilibrium.

Nowhere to go from there.

Dear god I love bacon.

I don't feel bad eating a bacon and cheese burger every now and then. Nobody should.

I reckon I'm down 90% in my meat eating. That is about where my moral compass and my tongue reach equilibrium.

I'm 99% pescatarian and since switching to this diet I find that if I have meat the night before a ride that I'm sluggish and bloated on the ride. I hate how my body feels while I digest red meat. Chicken not so much. 

But a bacon and cheese burger once in long while after a long hard ride just hits the spot when it's washed down with a good craft beer. 

I'm 99% pescatarian and since switching to this diet I find that if I have meat the night before a ride that I'm sluggish and bloated on the ride. I hate how my body feels while I digest red meat. Chicken not so much. 

But a bacon and cheese burger once in long while after a long hard ride just hits the spot when it's washed down with a good craft beer. 

Quite right. Like most things in life there are no absolutes.

If you're an ecowarrior then flying to see your family halfway around the world is a big no-no but nobody is going to judge you if you do it (apart from us hubbers).

If you're a BLM supporter but you really like that new IKEA cupboard then you'll happily buy it and nobody will judge you (apart from us hubbers and anyone with taste).

Likewise vegans and leather. If you like the belt leather buy it - buying one every day probably makes you a hypocrite though.

Has anyone ever met one of these preachy vegans offline? I think I met one once in my lifetime and that's it.

I'd guess most preachy anythings mostly reside online.

I’ve met a few, but in real life you can just walk away and put an immediate end to the conversation.

If you're ever in Copenhagen I will buy you (or any other hubber who visits) one of these from a place called Hungry Dane. It will change your life forever - whether you're a vegan or not....triple-cheese-2-1-scaled.jpg?fit=2560%2C