For the aviation fans

Lotus

Yeah there must be a lot and yes the RB 211 was used on a lot of B747-400s but I wonder what they will do with them, the other aircraft that use the engine are also not really flying anymore.

So that was the first engine to be triple spool, a seriously amazing feat by RR. Just thinking about the engineering involved of having 3 shafts running inside each other and the bearings required is mind bobbling. Even their new Trent(the middle name of one of my twins is Trent.......) engines are triple spool. 

That RB211 is really such a remarkable engine that put RR into the market in a big way.

It was amazing. And don't forget the original RB-211 came out a long long time ago. There may be a whole host of older 747 Freighters using them around the world.

I'd love one to play with  . . . . . 

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SAA, Denel, Transnet, Eskom, ja nee wat a *** op. Aloota Continua.

Have you guys had a chance to watch the video I posted above? I must say its had a deep impact on me, Its a brilliant interview, Blonco's best by far. This is why I love YouTube,

One might think or assume an engine failure is adequately dealt with in training and simulation but I doubt they were prepared for this. Sudden deceleration and pitching up to 45 Deg?  Just a battle to regain control and level out. No amount of AI or smart assed algorithms would cope with that situation, Elon Musk is wrong on this,  This why you need humans at the controls. Experienced people who can make sense of a nonsensical situation and act accordingly.

The drag on the aircraft was such that there was just one sweet spot to fly the thing so as avoid stalling and avoid the hectic vibrations. Just made it to the airport in Honolulu with the subsequent forced glide slope.

Chapeau to this fantastic Captain, what an incredible person and story teller. Persian American I believe.

Edited by kosmonooit

In the newspaper this morning.  The fleet of 14 A380 aircraft at Lufthansa will most propably not fly again for Lufthansa.  They do not see a recovery in the market for the next 3-4 years that would warrant the use of the big aircraft.

On our drive out to Harties last week we stopped at the Aviators Restuarant. While waiting for our drinks spotted this plane. Decided to have a quick look at the plane.

Can anyone identify the plane and some history:

post-13049-0-24266300-1615361232_thumb.jpg

post-13049-0-36832300-1615361291_thumb.jpg

On our drive out to Harties last week we stopped at the Aviators Restuarant. While waiting for our drinks spotted this plane. Decided to have a quick look at the plane.

Can anyone identify the plane and some history:

attachicon.gifVliegtuig.jpg

attachicon.gifVliegtuig 1.jpg

It's some Kind of Antonov (russian) i think an AN 2 

I think some enterprising Saffas were using them for freight work, but those was many years ago

They are slow as  s h i t e in the air 

Antonov An-2  or the Polish licensed built version

Polish PZL-Mielec : worlds biggest multipurpose single propeller biplane with 9 cylinder 4 stroke 30 L (1830 cui) aircooled radial engine (An-2R)  

35453636cc63a6b7ae9e208cbc1ed561.jpg

Edited by kosmonooit

isnt that the plane the penguins built to fly out of Madagascar ?

Glad to see I'm not the only one who watched it like 574 times with my daughter.

Who was the pilot again, Kowalski or Skipper ?

Glad to see I'm not the only one who watched it like 574 times with my daughter.

Who was the pilot again, Kowalski or Skipper ?

I enjoyed it the first few times. The penguins should get their own show.

I think Kowalski was the pilot, Skipper was head honcho

isnt that the plane the penguins built to fly out of Madagascar ?

Actually pretty sure there are some rotting old versions of that around by the private hangers at Antananarivo airport, or certainly were a few years back. Maybe that's where the inspiration comes from.  Seen the wreckage of a few around the eastern DRC as well.