alu bike and carbon weighing the same why ?

Jaquesdp

I know this stupid quastion but i dont know enough to feel better about my purchase lol

Specialized epic evo Aliminium    12.7kg

So the Alu had XO groupset on

no Cleats

Specialized Epic Expert Carbon   13.5kg

GX Eagle , Carbon rims , 

Only difference was that the Shimano Cleats was on the Carbon bike already and 2 bottle cages.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My carbon EVO weighed 12.5 at the LBS when I took delivery.

Stock standard XL size, tubes, no computer, one cage no bottle,Time atac pedals

Edited by SwissVan

There is a considerable weight difference between XO and GX and then add the weight of a set of pedals. A carbon frame is generally only about 200g lighter than a good quality aluminium frame.

There is a considerable weight difference between XO and GX and then add the weight of a set of pedals. A carbon frame is generally only about 200g lighter than a good quality aluminium frame.

this

You buy carbon for ride feel, not weight savings when it comes to trail bikes. A carbon trail bike has a burlier carbon lay-up than a carbon XC bike, and that makes it around the same weight as an alu bike.

My carbon trail frame actually weighs more than any alu frame I have owned.

So the weight diff you are seeing probably comes down more to component spec than anything else. Have a look at the tyres too - that adds quite a bit of weight.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

It is a common misconception that carbon is infinitely lighter than Alu...

The Trek Emonda ALR (alu) frame was actually lighter than the entry level Emonda S carbon frame by a significant amount...A good quality alu handle bar can be significantly lighter than a "cheap" carbon bar...

The benefits of carbon are that in wheels it creates a stiffer rim which handles better, in a frame you can create a unit that incorporates certain handling aspects (better vertical compliance) without sacrificing stiffness...

Edited by Skinnyone

My Fuji team SL was lighter than some carbon bikes. 

Cheap - light - durable.

Choose 2. Goes for carbon and alu. 

I was just surpirsed was thinking about 1kg lighter hehe.

Thanks for input i feel better was scared they filled my Carbon frame with sand or water  :w00t:  :w00t:

Edited by Jaquesdp

You buy carbon for ride feel because you want carbon, :ph34r:  not weight savings when it comes to trail bikes. A carbon trail bike has a burlier carbon lay-up than a carbon XC bike, and that makes it around the same weight as an alu bike.

My carbon trail frame actually weighs more than any alu frame I have owned.

So the weight diff you are seeing probably comes down more to component spec than anything else. Have a look at the tyres too - that adds quite a bit of weight.