Cyclist Needing Funding

Clint101

Hi Clinton

When last did you do a FTP test and where does that put your watts per kg?

I had a look on Strava, not a lot of activity on there. Might be like Myles though, he also doesn't log his beeeeg rides on there  :whistling:  :ph34r:

my ftp is 253 and w/kg is 3.21

how about it? one or two blue randelas?

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/179394-transxhariep-for-the-mcclelland-adult-centre

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think race results alone will secure you a sponsor unless you finishing top 10 regularly.

In todays day and age, I think the social media route might be the way to go.

Maybe try and gain a strong social media following and perhaps offer to 'advertise' certain products for would be sponsors etc.

Many sponsors will want exposure in return for their unvestment in you. Which they wont get unless you winning races regularly.

Check out Raymond Cox on instagram, I think he used to be sponsored by CWC.

He would regularly post updates on new kit etc that he was using/being sponsored with.

Hi Clinton

I had a look on Strava, not a lot of activity on there. Might be like Myles though, he also doesn't log his beeeeg rides on there  :whistling:  :ph34r:

So salty! 

I like self positivity.... But let's not get ahead of ourselves now....

Let's work on being the fastest local Clint first, then take it from there....

but seriously now, Wakefield on the money there with some very good free advice.

Putting yourself out there is a good step, but unfortunately you need results to get sponsors. Sometimes you need sponsors to get results, so it's chicken and egg.

Take this not as criticism but info to use going forward:

Since that 2nd in 2013 your best result in SA has come in 2014 with a 2nd. Since then there has been a overall regression in your results locally and not progression. While I have no idea why or what variables influenced that there has been a decline on paper.

You now want to go overseas and win races at level way above what is locally in SA and the depth is a lot deeper. To me doesn't seem like a justifiable process and a smart plan.

You mentioned you want to work on your strengths and make them stronger. What about your weakness? that to me would be plan 1, make your weakness stronger and your overall level off that alone will be increase and be elevated. Then once that is done, make your strengths better.

You trying to put a roof on a house with no walls.

I would also start doing that now and not at the start of the 2019 season, you will be on the back foot all year.

My .1c advice: 

Forget World Tour, focus on local and get results, build confidence and get noticed. In winter got to Europe and focus on races and terrain that suites you, again, get a result and get confidence and noticed. Work the ladder. 

You not going from The Hub to World Tour with a 2nd to Nolan in 2013 at 1 race. 

Please dont take this personally its just advice to show you a step by step process on how to get to goal which is often overlooked by a bigger goal.

John

There is so much value in this post alone!

If you don't get a cent donation from anyone, this post alone makes up for it and then some.

Good luck and keep the fire burning!

Sponsorship- it is not about what they give you, but what you give them...

Also nowadays it is far more than results, there are ambassadors not getting amazing results but their reach and volume of content created far outweigh's the lack of results.

Take Johns advice. He had helped many top class athletes.

Then just remember, being sponsored is a job, treat it as such, you need to give your sponsors value in return.

Exactly this, it may no longer be enjoyable because it becomes a job - imagine this;

You wake up and HAVE to go ride, doesn't matter how tired you are or what else is happening, you MUST ride, then after lunch a good gym session to round things out...

if its raining outside your options are gym work and an indoor session, or going out in the rain...remember this is your job now....you have to do the sessions prescribed by your coach.

You are out training or racing and have a crash - there is no "oh poor me" I'll rest up on the couch and lick my wounds - you have to get back on the bike as soon as possible...

Even though Jean does get funding to travel to the world cups and the like - he does not earn a salary from doing so, the funding obviously covers basic living expenses but nothing further...being a pro on the world circuit is not as glamorous as it may seem from the outside...

if you are prepared for that commitment then go for it...

Hi Clinton

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

How viable is it to move overseas and get a job full or part time? Then over there join a cycling  club or team? I have no clue about this, was just thinking!

Would his chances be better once he starts performing for some european or american club?

When I was bringing in neck braces I was inundated with mails from Dik Frik who got 6th in class at the regional this and that kwat baaik race and thought that warranted a sponsor.

It got old very quickly.

We eventually did sponsor a top DH guy and a motocross team. The number of sales generated by the sponsorships? 0.

Edited by Duane_Bosch