Mathieu van der Poel!

MonsterMan

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone found the last 15kms of AGR on YouTube?

Would also like to see the actual feed from back in the chase in those closing sections, and not just the jockeying at the front

Anyone found the last 15kms of AGR on YouTube?

Would also like to see the actual feed from back in the chase in those closing sections, and not just the jockeying at the front

Was also looking for it but the directors thought they was out of the win so the focus was infront. Only a couple of secs of images came through then the last KM.

I didn't realise this guy came from such good stock. OK I'd heard of his dad, but didn't realise his maternal grandfather was Raymond Poulidor. Poulidor probably would have been one of the most decorated french cyclists ever, had his career not overlapped with Anquetil and then Merckx. Unfortunately he is instead remembered as the "Eternal second". Glad to see the family curse is being lifted. 

I didn't realise this guy came from such good stock. OK I'd heard of his dad, but didn't realise his maternal grandfather was Raymond Poulidor. Poulidor probably would have been one of the most decorated french cyclists ever, had his career not overlapped with Anquetil and then Merckx. Unfortunately he is instead remembered as the "Eternal second". Glad to see the family curse is being lifted. 

his brother is also a pro cyclist

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/11/mathieu-van-der-poel-is-most-talented-bike-racer-on-planet/

Raymond-Poulidor-1968-blesse_preview.jpe

Mathieu-and-Poulidor.jpegBrothers.jpeg

How long until you think he will be snatched up by a world tour team?

I don't know if his spring season will change his medium term plan of going for Tokyo 2020 MTB. It's not like this success is totally unexpected, so they will have had a plan all along. 

I'd be surprised If he doesn't line up at XCO Round 1 in Albstadt on May 18th.

Not sure if Tokyo road race is in his sights either, to combine both. 234km route with 4685m of climbing. It's unlikely (especially if they are close to each other - current schedule is 2 days apart). TomD would probably be looking at the hillyish ITT?

Screen-Shot-2018-08-09-at-10.45.31.png

but hey money talks, he is contracted till 2023.

We could see a football style contract buy out (like with wiggo when brailsford wanted him), or someone just really buying the whole team rather. He can do whatever he wants, and I guess he would stick to his current plan of mixing and matching CX/MTB and road. This could mean special deals as no one really has a squad that does all 3 (apart from Trek factory racing).

I do not see Mathieu being domestique to anyone or riding in anyone's shadow. A world tour team not focussed on perhaps riding in service of him may just kill this wildfire which I think just needs MORE fuel and focus (he is a little bit wild)

Reminds me a lot of Sagan honestly - perhaps even more unpredictable yet always a factor.

That's why cyclocross and MTB suits him - they allow him to ride his own race and ride focussed on how he feels he can do.

Edited by s14phoenix

So just to confirm, we like this guy?

Honestly....... No. I find him arrogant. BUT he is a phenomenal athlete and i have to give him kudos for that!

So just to confirm, we like this guy?

Is there reservations?

We like him as an athlete - until we find out something to slay him over - then as usual we will be slaying him because of it. :lol:

excuse the pun but is there dirt on him already?   :P

Edited by s14phoenix