Forthelove misleading, incorrect dodgy seller on bikehub

throttles

Okay. So I'm in the market to get a Diverge for a good deal. This ad comes up tonight and I get lekker excited as it's pretty much what I want to pay. Then I read this whole darn thread. Argggh. Come on. Do I take the chance and ask the chap to take the bike to a concept store in JHB so that I can get a unbiased opinion or just walk away?

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/gravel-and-cyclocross-bikes/414994/specialized-diverge-expert-2020-54-inch

Do you want to take the chance?

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly, well done for doing a quick search to confirm details about a seller.

The photos seemed too professional to me, so following a quick Google Image search, came up with this website:

https://www.cxmagazine.com/bike-review-2020-specialized-diverge-expert-gravel-future-shock

So these photos are copied from a CX Bike Review Website, so even if he did possess such a bike, these photos are not of the actual bike.

How can ADMIN deal with a situation like this where the seller is clearly misrepresenting the item on sale? Do we report the advert to Admin and let them decide how dishonest this oke is?

Yoh all that add needs is a pic of Sagan shredding the the trails Edited by Gen

Sometimes they just have no idea. or are they smarter than I think they are?

Edited by Jakkals.

The photos seemed too professional to me, so following a quick Google Image search, came up with this website:

https://www.cxmagazine.com/bike-review-2020-specialized-diverge-expert-gravel-future-shock

So these photos are copied from a CX Bike Review Website, so even if he did possess such a bike, these photos are not of the actual bike. 

How can ADMIN deal with a situation like this where the seller is clearly misrepresenting the item on sale? Do we report the advert to Admin and let them decide how dishonest this oke is?

Haha

Uitgevang!  

He removed the photos from the ad  :rolleyes:

I see the pics have been removed

I also noticed that this person still has an active account.

Also that even though he has one rating it does not display the rating next to his name like it does with mine.

I gave him one star only because the rating system does not allow me to give him Zero!

Lets ad a unhappy face (or something else fitting) before the 5 stars on the rating system.

dunno. admin's call i suppose so i reported the ad (there was no mention of anyone else doing it)

Comments in the classifieds would have been gold right about now :whistling:

The problem is two fold;

it would have been seen only by those visiting the classifieds often,

now a whole thread was created to highlight the issue and alert everyone, but

ya, people viewing the add won't necessary know about this threat because a lot only visit the classifieds.

I see the pics have been removed

I also noticed that this person still has an active account.

Also that even though he has one rating it does not display the rating next to his name like it does with mine.

I gave him one star only because the rating system does not allow me to give him Zero!

Lets ad a unhappy face (or something else fitting) before the 5 stars on the rating system.

oh wow. so he's reading this.

Howzit Gary, that is your real name, right?

Dude, you have the floor. welcome to chip in with your side of the story.

I'll give you credit for a record of 14 adverts and 1/14 people being unhappy enough to rate you.

oh wow. so he's reading this.

Howzit Gary, that is your real name, right?

Dude, you have the floor. welcome to chip in with your side of the story.

I'll give you credit for a record of 14 adverts and 1/14 people being unhappy enough to rate you.

Could be that Admin removed the photo's pre-emptively and gave him a chance to correct it...?

Could be that Admin removed the photo's pre-emptively and gave him a chance to correct it...?

Must have been admin: 

Last seen today at 3:22

post-4329-0-91415300-1594881814_thumb.png

Really dislike ads that seemingly have generic photos . Maybe the seller hasn't had chance to take pics yet, but in my mind if you are going to sell something, make the time .

Makes me think that either the bike is not legit and it's scam. Or that it's just not in the condition the seller would have you believe . Either way it screams be careful.

Edited by Jonesy k

I always wonder about people advertising that the warranty will be intact on the bike.

Last I checked the warranty is only extended to the original purchaser.

Not always.

With TITAN you get a 5 year multi-owner frame warrantee ... IF, and only if, the original owner registered the frame number via their website.

Various other manufacturers also have multi-owner options ....

best to check with the brand in question.

Really dislike ads that seemingly have generic photos . Maybe the seller hasn't had chance to take pics yet, but in my mind if you are going to sell something, make the time .

Makes me think that either the bike is not legit and it's scam. Or that it's just not in the condition the seller would have you believe . Either way it screams be careful.

The only time you should put generic photos in an ad is with the disclaimer "NOT ACTUAL PHOTOS OF THE XXXX, UPLOADING PICS SHORTLY"

Otherwise, you're a con.