Bike Hub classifieds vibe

nox1111

Having bought a fair amount of stuff through the classifieds and sold a few items my thoughts are as follows

Since once the deal starts happening outside of the classifieds i.e PM, WA, phonecalls etc. it's difficult to force things like ratings to be done but how about something like this

When an item is marked SOLD or gets removed ask if it was to a hubber, if yes then go straight to the ratings screen for that buyer in that way almost forcing a rating

At the same time automatically PM the buyer with a link to rate the seller

Not sure if that is possible in the platform used without major customisation?

I personally rate every seller I have been involved with but very few have bothered to give me a rating sadly but it is what it is

My general approach is if it's something I need and I'm happy with the price I do what's necessary to get it without negotiation!

However .... If it's something I consider nice to have and I notice it's been available for a while I would first send a message asking if the price could be negotiated. If no I would respond to say thanks but no thanks. If yes I would make an offer based on what I'm prepared to pay not necessarily what it may be worth but often times it's been lying around and guys don't mind to part with it ...

Have been caught with the 'its for my wife and I'd like to buy her something nice' when selling an at the time high end bike that was unused. This was quite some time ago, I dropped the price considerably thinking it was going to a good home only to find it advertised at more than my original price right here on the Hub a week later! There was quite a hoo haa at the time as there were a few doing it and he deleted the ad and his user not long after that ...

All of my other dealings however have been great and met a few really cool hubbers over the time face to face that way as well!

Anyway hope some of that helps ...

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Having bought a fair amount of stuff through the classifieds and sold a few items my thoughts are as follows

Since once the deal starts happening outside of the classifieds i.e PM, WA, phonecalls etc. it's difficult to force things like ratings to be done but how about something like this

When an item is marked SOLD or gets removed ask if it was to a hubber, if yes then go straight to the ratings screen for that buyer in that way almost forcing a rating

At the same time automatically PM the buyer with a link to rate the seller

Not sure if that is possible in the platform used without major customisation?

I personally rate every seller I have been involved with but very few have bothered to give me a rating sadly but it is what it is

My general approach is if it's something I need and I'm happy with the price I do what's necessary to get it without negotiation!

However .... If it's something I consider nice to have and I notice it's been available for a while I would first send a message asking if the price could be negotiated. If no I would respond to say thanks but no thanks. If yes I would make an offer based on what I'm prepared to pay not necessarily what it may be worth but often times it's been lying around and guys don't mind to part with it ...

Have been caught with the 'its for my wife and I'd like to buy her something nice' when selling an at the time high end bike that was unused. This was quite some time ago, I dropped the price considerably thinking it was going to a good home only to find it advertised at more than my original price right here on the Hub a week later! There was quite a hoo haa at the time as there were a few doing it and he deleted the ad and his user not long after that ...

All of my other dealings however have been great and met a few really cool hubbers over the time face to face that way as well!

Anyway hope some of that helps ...

I don’t get the deal with if someone got something from you at a price (willing seller, willing buyer) and they then sell it off for a profit.

I don’t get the deal with if someone got something from you at a price (willing seller, willing buyer) and they then sell it off for a profit.

The seller wants someone else to appreciate what he is selling , not selling it for the max price but rather passing it on to someone else to enjoy. When the buyer just scoops it up and resells for maximum profit then the ethos of the classified section is lost and it's just another gumtree Olx

The seller wants someone else to appreciate what he is selling , not selling it for the max price but rather passing it on to someone else to enjoy. When the buyer just scoops it up and resells for maximum profit then the ethos of the classified section is lost and it's just another gumtree Olx

Fair enough, then make that part of the conditions of the sale.

@nick and @admin - maybe requirements should be 10 posts or something like that before you can start replying on classifieds (dm/email or see phone number) or posting to classifieds?

If 10 posts are the cut off, you will cut-out 94% of the members, including me (before this post :thumbup: ). Even assuming 80% of all memberships on BH is inactive/false/expired/unused, only 30% of members have posted more than 10 posts. (go look at the members list and sort by posts – it is quickly clear BH break Pareto to a 95-5 ratio rather than 80-20) I don’t post just because I do not have anything to add most of the time, and I rarely participate in open forums. That is just me, and it has always been me.

I agree with you, losing the good old days of dibs and PM sent is not great, but the reality is that the classified platform is the same as gumtree, with 1-to-1 sales of secondhand goods with no insurance on the item or the other party. The upside of BH over gumtree is that there are a few very active hubbers who have the knowledge to see through certain deals when posted, and catch that out. As mentioned before the whole rating system is also a big plus.

The number of bikes in circulation, and the value of these, have shot of exponentially the past 8 years, so the community will become more "corporate" just due numbers and money involved. It will make it a colder place to trade in, losing many of the unspoken traditions and conventions which used to be there. It does however not change the personality of the community too much, because that largely depends on the few active citizens - the 1%.

I love BH, even if most of the time I just read, laugh and learn. I love cycling, have cycled all my life and will continue cycling until I die. I know this place will never change at heart due to the few very passionate and active hubbers on here. Unfortunately I do not think I will break 100 posts in my life, despite being on here everyday.

Secondhand sales are secondhand sales, not BH. I do not think the personality and marketplace should be confused with each other IMHO.

That was prob a Manitou fork and you were wrong

Suntour fork, brake Caliper facing forward...

Taking about low balls, Mr Glenn Mann thought that offering 250 for a rack i advertised for 700 would be a good offer.

If it's the same guy, he advertises on our club page as well, week in week out the same overpriced crap

Due to my inability to try hard in my studies, I find it a mountain too high to read this entire thread.

What is really making me angry at the moment is the inability of people to respond to adverisments that they have posted.

Eg: I am looking for a set of rollers. I have responded to three advertisments. Two read my pm but did not respond at all. One did, three days after reading my pm. Bloke from Cape Town, I pm'ed him that I was interested in his rollers for sale. I was willing to transfer the funds at once and request the bank to make the funds available at once. I would then arrange with a friend in CT to collect at the sellers nearest convienience so that he would not have to bother with sending. Three days later received a pm from the seller. "cash only". Not a hello nothing. Just cash only.I come from the Free State, we have manners here, we greet each other here and if it is a pretty lady, we greet with a kiss.

So here is how I see it. The Hub is a family. Like a family, we fight sometimes we stick together more often than not.. Each of these sellers had zero posts on the hub. A further investigation showed the items were also listed on Gumtree and OLX.

So, these people are using our site to sell their crap. They are making no contribution at all to the site.

I say, make them pay for the service. On Gumtree and OLX they are offering cycling related goods to the general public. Here you are offering cycling related goods to cyclists. A service that you should pay for IMO.

It will also make Dr Zingo stop trying to sell his crap that will make your lost lover return or make you win the lottery from advertising here. The Dr doest like paying for advertisments.

Edited by Vetseun

What I hate is seeing something for R1000 for arguments sake then you check new prices and its like R1200 brand new including delivery from a reputable company....!

If its "new" and "used" it isn't worth me saving a couple of hundred rand....would rather buy new and have a warranty and peace of mind on the transaction...

What I hate is seeing something for R1000 for arguments sake then you check new prices and its like R1200 brand new including delivery from a reputable company....!

If its "new" and "used" it isn't worth me saving a couple of hundred rand....would rather buy new and have a warranty and peace of mind on the transaction...

Heehee and the okes who want to sell a seven year old bike. Only done 27.3 km.

Due to my inability to try hard in my studies, I find it a mountain too high to read this entire thread.

What is really making me angry at the moment is the inability of people to respond to adverisments that they have posted.

Eg: I am looking for a set of rollers. I have responded to three advertisments. Two read my pm but did not respond at all. One did, three days after reading my pm. Bloke from Cape Town, I pm'ed him that I was interested in his rollers for sale. I was willing to transfer the funds at once and request the bank to make the funds available at once. I would then arrange with a friend in CT to collect at the sellers nearest convienience so that he would not have to bother with sending. Three days later received a pm from the seller. "cash only". Not a hello nothing. Just cash only.I come from the Free State, we have manners here, we greet each other here and if it is a pretty lady, we greet with a kiss.

So here is how I see it. The Hub is a family. Like a family, we fight sometimes we stick together more often than not.. Each of these sellers had zero posts on the hub. A further investigation showed the items were also listed on Gumtree and OLX.

So, these people are using our site to sell their crap. They are making no contribution at all to the site.

I say, make them pay for the service. On Gumtree and OLX they are offering cycling related goods to the general public. Here you are offering cycling related goods to cyclists. A service that you should pay for IMO.

It will also make Dr Zingo stop trying to sell his crap that will make your lost lover return or make you win the lottery from advertising here. The Dr doest like paying for advertisments.

Hello Vetseun,

Lekker post!

Cheers

Worriesnot

Hello.

I think that's a great idea. How to implement though, would be tough.

Due to my limited knowledge, buying stuff I'll simply only buy based on my own opinions of someone based on their behavior here.

Selling, I've given away so much stuff for free, thinking they didn't have worth. Didn't even get a follow up thanks from any of them. Biggest school fees were replacement lenses for Oakleys. Only afterwards when I searched online and found out I could have got some moolas instead of giving them away.

I'm not so nice anymore.

We do pay for the service

There is a structure and its implemented

When last did you sell on line

Hello.

I think that's a great idea. How to implement though, would be tough.

Very easily. The platform already exists - business accounts such as Bike Addict have to pay to advertise - you pay for credits and then use the credits to post adverts. Just roll this out to general users too. I would have no issue at all paying to use the platform, but obviously at a lesser rate than the business accounts. I can garruantee you even a R5 fee would stop time waster posting here.

Very easily. The platform already exists - business accounts such as Bike Addict have to pay to advertise - you pay for credits and then use the credits to post adverts. Just roll this out to general users too. I would have no issue at all paying to use the platform, but obviously at a lesser rate than the business accounts. I can garruantee you even a R5 fee would stop time waster posting here.

Good point. Would be interesting if people would be willing to pay to post.

That said, majority of the traffic on the hub comes from the classifieds, would it be in the interest of BH to make changes that would impact that