Cape Town Cycle Tour 2020

Long Wheel Base

Where is the best place to have a craft beer during the race? I would like to do a sub 6, but would like to stop for a beer. I was thinking somewhere at fishhoek? I start in 5c

There is a Jakes and the Farm village both in Noordhoek right next to the route..... Craft beer neh? Not just 'a beer'?

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the recommended tyre pressure for a 29er mtb doing the cycle tour? It is my first time riding the event and such a long road ride.

Edited by Nestus

Hout bay is always pretty vibey, and a nice stop to build some "courage" for suikerbossie.

Dont listen to those other snobs that want to make you pay for a beer !!!

Amateurs I tell you *spit*

Listen to the pro('s) .....errr ummm cough cough.

There can be only two places to stop for craft beer.

The first is at Kommetjie. Now if you do not know the place, it is for the more ...yuppie eclectic type. You know, the kind that only drink the finest champagne, but have no money. The meat is vegan and grown in the back yard (somewhere else). And lets not forget tie dye surfer pants with goatees and skateboards to chill.  The champagne here is super quality. From the finest vineyards Champagne has to offer. But I digress, you talk beer. As you can imagine, the craft beer on the roadside of these avid supporters is top notch. All you have to do is cycle past slowly, comment how rad the vibe is in town, and ask for a glass of the finest craft. Be prepared to sit and chat about the stoke of the pipe before you crank it to the next joint, if you get my drift. If you keep your spurs chill you should be able to pick up freebies all through town.

Now the second is more tricky and touch and go. But try not touch to much. This is the Noordhoek strip. Sometimes it is a strip, sometimes they strip. It depends on when you get there. Now these folk are more festive, but stilled stoked to chill. Blow up pools roadside. Couches and tables outside. But since access to the route can come from many parts in this area, the crowds could be muddlebloods. If you want free craft, you might need to stop more than once to sample. I mean, one should never turn down the free sample of a keg, right? The same method applies, except your question should always start ...... nice strip great paardy, can you share or where's mine I need to carbo load before chappies? You need to be prepared for the strip. The bumps can be interesting so you need to focus on the road. Never, ever photo and tell, actually never show and tell.

These methods may, or may not have been used on previous editions of the this tour (it is NOT a ra ... no I wont use the word). You use these methods at your own risk.

Learnt yesterday that one of the most popular exhibititors at CTCT won't be displaying at Greenpoint Stadium this year. Solomons, also my LBS, cited some all too familiar reasons why they won't pitch this year. Always made a point of dropping by to say Hi to the blokes from Durban. They will be missed.

Edited by Cadre

Learnt yesterday that one of the most popular exhibititors at CTCT won't be displaying at Greenpoint Stadium this year. Solomons, also my LBS, cited some all too familiar reasons why they won't pitch this year. Always made a point of dropping by to say Hi to the blokes from Durban. They will be missed.

What were the reasons?

What were the reasons?

"Cost" were pointed out.  Over the years I have built up a good friendship with management at the Intersite Road Branch in Durban...so yesterday we engaged in all kinds of small talk whilst the staff were fitting a new cassette and chain on the bike. On a question of when they are leaving for Greenpoint, Reesa dropped the bomb and said that the combined escalation in cost has rendered the exercise futile. He did not single out any single cost but remarked on the overall basket of expenses. 

I was left saddened as, to me, the Solomons stand is as synonmous with CTCT as is Beetroot salad with Christmas Lunch.        

A work colleague does he's yearly shopping at their stand...

He too will be quite sad when i tell him this.

One of the bigger local bike shops told me, a few years ago already, that it was not financially viable to do a stall at the Expo, but that they kept on doing it just because they felt it was more an advertising exercise of maintaining their reputation and their presence. 

Edited by DJR

A sign of our struggling economy

No one has spare cash to splash out

Also, online shops are probably also not making it viable for brick and mortar stores to travel down to Cape Town. A lot of online shops have massive sales weeks before the Cycle Tour and Black Friday, the punters that used to buy stuff at the expo are no longer there. 

Will it be a good idea to run semi slicks on a mtb for the race or stick with the offroad tyres?

Semi slicks will be faster. Is it worth the hassle, up to you.

Say it isn't so.! :(

May as well deliver my number via courier. LOL

Also, online shops are probably also not making it viable for brick and mortar stores to travel down to Cape Town. A lot of online shops have massive sales weeks before the Cycle Tour and Black Friday, the punters that used to buy stuff at the expo are no longer there. 

and if you see a bargain....you properly dont need it and its not really a bargain....finding silly prices on cycle clothing recently....