HowardSteele

Bitten on the bike  

207 members have voted

1. 1. How many of you hubbers have been bitten or stung by one of the following critters

• Bee
    • wasp
    • Blind-fly
    • Bee-fly
    • Mozzie
    • Tick
    • Spider
    • Scorpion
    • Snake
    • Dog
    • Other..please leave a account in the comments.

Had a German Shepherd take a couple of bites of my right quad once. He couldn't break the skin, cause I'm just that swole. 

Also violently sharted when I came across a moerse monitor lizard basking in the middle of the trail. If it wasn't for the smell, he probably would've killed me. 

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For those of you wondering what a bee fly is...we get them on the Tokai silvermine trails...ours have yellow black striped abdomens..according to the internet they don't bite...Apparently they don't read stuff on the internet either ...their sting/bite leaves a nasty itchy welt similar to the Blind fly

Bee Fly, common name for any member of a family of flies, many species of which resemble bees in general appearance (an example of protective mimicry)

bee flies live on nectar and pollen and are sometimes important pollinators of plants.

post-39899-0-60637400-1568023808_thumb.jpg

Edited by HowardSteele

the bottom ones are the worst kind. Very unpredictable and bite when you least expect them too even though you may think you are diffusing the situation.  :blush:  :P 

#disclaimer

just kidding our glorious female counterparts.

we know we give you plenty of reasons to klap us all the time....in fact..we should probably just klap ourselves and save you the trouble.

the worst yet has been the highland midge, picture a swarm of mini sized mosquito like midges that leave lovely itchy red bumps. And when I saw swarm I mean millions of the little buggers

snip

:eek:  :eek:  :eek:

post-64325-0-87029400-1568019799_thumb.gif

the worst yet has been the highland midge, picture a swarm of mini sized mosquito like midges that leave lovely itchy red bumps. And when I saw swarm I mean millions of the little buggers

Do we get these in  Za ?

Luckily not on my bicycle.

But have been stung 3 times by bees on the motorcycle. Twice bees have flown into my helmet, and proceed to try and crawl between the helmet padding and my temple, then when it gets tight, they decide, farkit, and perform bee seppuku by stinging me.

Not fun at 60+km/h

The other one hit my glasses, fell down and got me on the leg around the crotch area...

Inhaled and exhaled a fly once...while struggling for air up a climb at 180+ bpm.

Do we get these in  Za ?

Yes, we do. In some areas, close to still bodies of water and marshland. But, they're nowhere near as plentiful as in Scotland. Those things are on another level. 

Hold up! There are people who have been bitten by a bee?!

It was on moerse pissed off Bee who couldn't be bothered to swing around for a sting.

For those of you wondering what a bee fly is...we get them on the Tokai silvermine trails..according to the internet they don't bite...Apparently they don't read stuff on the internet either ...their sting/bite leaves a nasty itchy welt similar to the Blind fly

Bee Fly, common name for any member of a family of flies, many species of which resemble bees in general appearance (an example of protective mimicry)

bee flies live on nectar and pollen and are sometimes important pollinators of plants.

I presume I had one of these bite/sting me coming down the jeep track at Tokai on my first visit.

I thought I was stung by a bee - was seriously painful, made skid-marks as I slammed the brakes and after that very itchy 

Maybe add plants to the list. 

Here in Belgium there's some kind of stinging nettle. Get a good brush of it across your leg or face and you're going to be in agony for a solid while. Burns like hell. 

Maybe the plants have their knife in for you......what could the reason be? :whistling:  ;)  (Just kidding Odinson)