Online bike shops vs traditional/local bike shops?

werner.kachelhoffer

I research on the web ,but usually buy at a variety of brick and mortar shops .I shop around until i find the right product .If you make your sums honestly ,you will find that local shops are competitive and you always have the option to ask and compare.I would rather have what i want and need now and pay more .People also tend to buy unnecessary stuff when they shop online .I shop plenty in the bike hub classifieds .Whenever i get treated as the invisible man in any shop ,i walk out permanently . My last comment is the most important 

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My Lbs went to Google a part online for me in the shop, told me to buy it online cos it's cheaper and they will fit it as part of a service. So I'm sure Lbs have made peace with it and will focus on their workshops. So despite the online purchase, they still made money on replacing cables, bartape, brakes etc.

I know some okes can do things myself, but I am unable to put on bartape like the mechanics do.

I research on the web ,but usually buy at a variety of brick and mortar shops .I shop around until i find the right product .If you make your sums honestly ,you will find that local shops are competitive and you always have the option to ask and compare.I would rather have what i want and need now and pay more .People also tend to buy unnecessary stuff when they shop online .I shop plenty in the bike hub classifieds .Whenever i get treated as the invisible man in any shop ,i walk out permanently . My last comment is the most important 

This and not just bike shops, even car dealerships. One day i just got gatvol, decided to stand in a central position, waited about 15 min, staff up and down past me way too busy. Eventually someone asks, and I am like i need 20 of this, do you have stock . No, but we can order etc etc. Told them to call me. 2 days later i get a call that they can get stock. Told the guy thanks, but i got it the same day from another store. Then the manager called, told him i wont ever set foot in his shop, explained what happened date and time. He called me back to verify and no apology . Today that branch is closed down.

Sometimes parts are cheaper online. I've never tried to order from international online shop because it seems crazy expensive when it comes to shipping/duties/VAT. The LBS I prefer to go to is great, sometimes I cannot even find prices on parts as cheap as they are in the shop. I have also recently found that the LBS can sometimes find parts that I struggle to find online (Rockshox shock pump adapter for rear shock, Suntour fork dust wipers etc.), just need to wait a bit. Had some good service from online shops, but they still cant rebuilt a wheel and sort out a warranty claim on a cracking rim.

Definitely parts online. Been using Bike24 and R2 Bike a lot from Germany, works out cheaper on bigger orders.

Bought last two bikes at lbs at amazing prices. Propably just more convenient shopping online

This and not just bike shops, even car dealerships. One day i just got gatvol, decided to stand in a central position, waited about 15 min, staff up and down past me way too busy. Eventually someone asks, and I am like i need 20 of this, do you have stock . No, but we can order etc etc. Told them to call me. 2 days later i get a call that they can get stock. Told the guy thanks, but i got it the same day from another store. Then the manager called, told him i wont ever set foot in his shop, explained what happened date and time. He called me back to verify and no apology . Today that branch is closed down.

Why do we still have dealerships? Why can’t one just order a car online and have it delivered?

Why do we still have dealerships? Why can’t one just order a car online and have it delivered?

There are very few places and people I ‘aggressively dislike’ more than car dealers and dealerships lol

I'd go with that! Why not cut out the middle man and drop prices. Dealers don't give much value at all apart from to raise the blood pressure. Have a test centre and a service centre and away you go. 

When we first moved from Aus' I went in to numerous dealerships and said I wanted to buy a car and a double cab, in cash, what could they do... best I got was 3% discount and worst was a lot of shoulder shrugging and a guy explaining that they would rather not sell a car out right and might have to charge more than the listed price because they were expecting that to be financed. I'll put them on the same list as estate agents. 

because someone has to pay for the increasingly extravagant brick and mortar showrooms in high value areas....I'm talking to you Audi waterfront

http://www.audicapetown.co.za/content/dam/ngw/za_partner/p_audi_centre_cape_town/dealer_images/audi-ct-our-dealership.jpg

i can imagine this eventually going the other way.

Car distributers switch to a service only business model.

new cars stored at warehouse with cheap rents

book testdrive online, oke comes to your office/house.

buy it online (or in a normal not extravagant office)

service plan they come collect and return.

wonder which brand would do this first whilst the others blink? (apart from Tesla, who already do this on a small scale)

A LBS has to evolve in the changing market. Doing what you did before isn't going to secure a future. 

If a bike shop has a workshop then they shouldn't mind that you are taking your bike to them to get them fixed. They charge for their work and that is a product ad a profit. I take my bike to a number fo different places and I didn't buy it from any of them. I take it to them because they are good at certain things. I don't think that we'll all become self sufficient despite what the home wrench monkeys proclaim. I can happily work on my bike but some times I just choose to save myself the hassle and time and drop it off at the LBS. I have a business and a young family and can sped time with them rather than servicing my fork or stripping a dropper. 

Somethings will alway be better purchased online and somethings you need now or now, now or like to see in the flesh. That is where the LBS comes in. I do think there needs to be something to protect the shops from people just wondering in trying on stock and then ordering it from CRC or Wiggle as they walk out the door.

There was a debate about major manufacturers having 'fitting room' shops so people can see or try on things like shoes, helmets and clothes and then trying to move all ordering online. We are very far behind with online ordering and delivery the compared to places like the Europe and America and they still have a vibrant LBS scene which is very community focused and adds value through a lot more than just the price of a stem or a helmet. 

Not sure where you got this from but the truth is that LBS sector is struggling in both Europe and US. I think what you mean is that in both places there are more cycling orientated coffee shops(compared to SA)  with a bit of wrenching in the back but those are typically more in the road/trail side repair category rather than fully blown LBS

because someone has to pay for the increasingly extravagant brick and mortar showrooms in high value areas....I'm talking to you Audi waterfront

http://www.audicapetown.co.za/content/dam/ngw/za_partner/p_audi_centre_cape_town/dealer_images/audi-ct-our-dealership.jpg

i can imagine this eventually going the other way.

Car distributers switch to a service only business model.

new cars stored at warehouse with cheap rents

book testdrive online, oke comes to your office/house.

buy it online (or in a normal not extravagant office)

service plan they come collect and return.

wonder which brand would do this first whilst the others blink? (apart from Tesla, who already do this on a small scale)

Its going to come quick I reckon. It will be like bike shops. You go and drive the audit at Waterfront along the prom and back, check the options and then order online :P

Its going to come quick I reckon. It will be like bike shops. You go and drive the audit at Waterfront along the prom and back, check the options and then order online :P

when having to do car shopping in the past, especially as a wingman to someone else, I used to enjoy getting REALLY technical with the questions to test how much they actually know haha. It usually turned out to be not much more than what was printed in the brochure. When that hierarchy is established, negotiating usually becomes easier  :D

Find yourself (trial an error) a good LBS use them build up a good relationship and your pricing will improve, nothing wrong with finding something cheaper you are looking for, I weigh it up a few rands on one article or a few "point" at my LBS for support

Saying that, if your local LBS klaps you a deaf ear because they know you WILL support them TIME TO MOVE ON irrelevant of the years of support

The advertising for the Audi brand at the V&A location is surely priceless ... what would one pay for that sort of exposure elsewhere?

Money. Usually money. I've tried paying for things with beads, hugs and cookies but it's not catching on. I'm pretty sure the places 'elsewhere' also take money... but not the hugs.