[Event] MEDIHELP Stellenbosch Cycle Tour 2020

Starchboy

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just shows again, how quickly the weather can change in cape town..oh well will line up at the start and just keep pedaling just keep pedaling 

Coming from Paarl for the race..if the weather is really that k@k I'm just going to turn left at Boschendal and pedal straight home. At least it looks like a tailwind from there back home.

They are comming back for the race

Going on Milky's experience I won't back one of them winning on Sunday..

Was it not at the Stell Cycle two years ago that there were also a spit and a spot of rain?

I had more water in my frame than in my bottles... was rather misrable, but still my best race ... No hard breaking (breaks don't work in the wet) and everyone was really focussed on riding smooth as not to need breaks and not fall on corners.

That race I will never forget, got to Stellies with my Alu wheels on, rain looked like it had passed, Put my Carbon wheels on amd was in a it of a rush, put on the back wheel, changed to carbon blocks, put on the front wheel, removed Alu blocks, needed a pee, went to the loo, came back and group was lining up, ran across the field, got to the start, it started raining again, instantly regretted changing wheels but thought if be ok, started the race, halfway up Hells needed to brake to avoid a crash, pulled hard on the brakes,front lever touched handlebars,( thought a cable had snapped), avoided the crash, carried on, started descending Hells, tried touching brakes for slower rides infront, heard a funny sound, looked down, had forgotten to put in my front brake blocks, So I had 50mm carbon wheels, massive crosswinds amd pouring rain, and no front brakes, Needless to day the bunch dropped me on at the bottom as we turned right as I had to really slow down to the weather and also only having rear brakes. Rode the rest of the race solo avoiding bunches which came past because I didn't want to risk not being able to brake in time.

1C... and I'm going to take the 29er so this does not bode well.

Just a heads up, the yellow lane coming down into Stellenbosch at Blue Jay farm is closed. They are fixing a hole.

I'll see you there, I'll look out for the oke in the dikwiel, I'll be on the Black and Lumo yellow Scott Foil

That race I will never forget, got to Stellies with my Alu wheels on, rain looked like it had passed, Put my Carbon wheels on amd was in a it of a rush, put on the back wheel, changed to carbon blocks, put on the front wheel, removed Alu blocks, needed a pee, went to the loo, came back and group was lining up, ran across the field, got to the start, it started raining again, instantly regretted changing wheels but thought if be ok, started the race, halfway up Hells needed to brake to avoid a crash, pulled hard on the brakes,front lever touched handlebars,( thought a cable had snapped), avoided the crash, carried on, started descending Hells, tried touching brakes for slower rides infront, heard a funny sound, looked down, had forgotten to put in my front brake blocks, So I had 50mm carbon wheels, massive crosswinds amd pouring rain, and no front brakes, Needless to day the bunch dropped me on at the bottom as we turned right as I had to really slow down to the weather and also only having rear brakes. Rode the rest of the race solo avoiding bunches which came past because I didn't want to risk not being able to brake in time.

No ways. That is a crazy story!!

Worst I have had was I adjusted the play in my brakes the night before via undoing cable and pulling a little more cable through. First time I pulled the brakes the cable just pulled through the clamp, zero brake.

After a while common sense prevailed and i stopped to Tighten the brakes back onto the cable. Lesson learnt.

Going on Milky's experience I won't back one of them winning on Sunday..

yeah but they are pro’s that can go hard and deep back to back vs me just an amateur ????

What's the wind like in Stellenbosch this morning?

Just the start/finish is in Stellenbosch mos.. Most of the route is around Paarl, and it's pumping here at the moment!

Just the start/finish is in Stellenbosch mos.. Most of the route is around Paarl, and it's pumping here at the moment!

Lets hope the wind can die down just a little or a lot of guys won't pitch up for the race

Lets hope the wind can die down just a little or a lot of guys won't pitch up for the race

Forecast showing no signs calming down. (+ some possible rain) :(

Edited by Thomo

Probably waiting for the late entries to be concluded by EOB today so that they only have to run the query once. That's my guess anyways... Maybe later tonight or tomorrow it should reflect.

Seems like they not updating it 

Guy & Gals, with rain also predicted with the wind for this ride, put safety first.

Ride safe and look after yourselves and fellow cyclists around you.

Looking forward to reading some crazy ride reports!

Keep the rubber side down.