The toolbox thread

100Tours

On the subject, looking for some tool storage boxes. Nothing fancy just to be able to keep everything in one place and lockable. Hand and power tools.

Addendorf, Makro, Builders, etc all sell steel boxes but any other places I can look at?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I Have a couple of weaknesses and one of them is for quality tools.

I Have two toolboxes but this one has the tools I use more frequently and sees most of the action everyday.

My toolbox contains a mix of mostly Stahlwille, Gedore, Knipex and Wurth.

My bicycle specific tools are mostly Park Tool with a couple of others as well.

I Started buying my tools when I started working (I Was 15 at the time) so I've got a 23 year old collection that is still growing every now and then.

Only two things on bicycle I don't do myself, suspension and wheel building.

Stahlwille,Wera and Knipex are some nice tools to have.

Stahlwille,Wera and Knipex are some nice tools to have.

Yeah I'll take Stahwille screwdrivers over any other brand. They are just brilliant. 

I have a few King Tony socket sets and they are also great quality. 

That is a pair of wire locking pliers. Every aviation engineer has one in their tool case.

Something so satisfying about using a pair

As does anyone who’s ever raced a motorcycle. One of my most favorite tools! And agree, so satisfying to use and see you perfect twisty work.

73d9a531151ec5c54a1561494e1ef589.jpg

From South Africa all the way to Dubai.

I had to pack up my entire life’s collection of tools, from my apprenticeship, to my motorsport days, to cycling and just general tools. Sold a lot and squeezed the rest into this roller cab and Snap-On box. Nothing else but a compressor and car jack came along.

Inside you’ll find Snap-on, Knipex, Makita LXT, Mititoyo, Beta, JBS, KingTony, ParkTool, BluePoint, Norbar and more. I’ve bought tools from my first pay cheque. Bankrupted myself in the back of a Snap-on van more than once and have not regretted it for a second! Each tool can tell a story or two.

Ok but what have I learnt. Buy the best tools you can afford, look after them and you’ll NEVER replace them and they will still be handed down to your kids. Use them as they were intended to be used. A screwdriver is not a chisel. Side cutters are NOT wire cutters. Organise your tools, easy to find when you need them and easy to see what’s missing when you done. And finally, if you tightening a bolt and it strips.....back it off half a turn.

My biggest fear.....when I die my wife sells all my tools for what she thinks I paid for them.....

Edited by WrightJnr

My biggest fear.....when I die my wife sells all my tools for what she thinks I paid for them.....

A mate of mine once said around the braai fire how totally honest and open his relationship with his wife is........then someone asked whether he shared the price of his new custom made bamboo flyfishing rod with her........shocked silence, embarrassed mumbling and a red face! Priceless! :D

Edited by DJR

In my (cycling) tool box:

• Chain whip;
  • Cassette lock ring spanner;
  • Pro Torque wrench 3-22Nm, with hex and torx fittings;
  • Shock pump;
  • Pedal-specific spanner;
  • BB lock ring (hollowtech II);
  • BB spanner (hollowtech II);
  • Cone spanners (never used them - not sure why I bought them);
  • "Third-hand" cable pliers;
  • A number of allen key wrenches;
  • Shifting spanner;
  • Torque setting chart for all parts on the bike;
  • Chain break tool;
  • Chain cleaner thingy-ma-jiggy;
  • Tyre levers;
  • Grease gun - takes the toothpaste style grease refills;
  • Chain-wear gauge - is missing in action. Was in my on-bike repair kit, but it's now gone;
  • Puncture repair kit - those orange/black patches with the bostik glue;
  • Wet & dry lube;
  • Hand gel (cleaner);
  • Spare parts, eg. RD pulleys, master links, ratchet clips for shoes, chain ring bolts, cleats (old and new), old BBs, cable ends;
  • Spare tubes;
  • My ROAG number board - that I've only used once, at a race in KZN;
  • Spare spokes from wheels I've purchased over the year - never replaced any;
  • Normal toolbox combination spanners;
  • Side cutters (to cut cable ties, not cables);
  • I see my Leatherman multi-tool is also in there (reminder to self - put it back where it belongs);
  • Brush to clean cassette - hardly used, as I remove the cassette to clean it.

What's missing?

• Spoke spanner
  • Cable cutters
  • Spare bar tape
  • Foot pump (too big to fit inside)
  • Spare tyres (that's upstairs with my lights, chargers and other often used stuff)
  • Screwdrivers - these things seem to disappear like the kids use toilet paper.

Very dangerous thread this; just do not look at the Garage Journal or cyclingtips (where there is a competition for best toolkit amongst the pro bike mechanics). If you are a woodworker, avoid toolcraft; visit at your peril.

Some great kit mentioned and I'm an unashamed (yet) toolaholic. From 35 odd years ago buying a 1/4" drive Stahwille socket set piece by piece to drooling over the Makita cordless catalogue I am hooked. I have a brand new Bosch drill press, virtually unused but at least I've sold its predecessor; not easily I tell you.

I've got one or two of many makes and ja, Stahwille screwdrivers are great; not so much the Phillips where Wera or Gedore may edge them (have you seen the Wera socket sets with the coloured sockets - lust I tell you). Not too impressed with the new Gedore spanners - bought a 12/13 flat the other day and noticed the heads weren't polished like the older ones. Poor show  :ph34r: . I know where the local Snap On outlet is but daren't go there.

I'm not quitting though.

I've made a whole bunch of wooden toolboxes over the years, mainly because I don't have a workshop where I can set things up permanently. So, lack of space dictates that I pack things away except when in use. This box made for a convenient place to stack the printers on my desk. Inside lives the 20 gauge reloading presses. Something I don't use often enough because I'm too lazy. :blush:

post-17716-0-03490300-1572619108_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-50864600-1572619122_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJR

My dad always had lots of tools .... something of everything, but never well organized .... but with a racing background he certainly had most of it.

I was 20 years old when he passed away, and all the tools came my way.  I was a second year air-con appy at the time.  So I had a fair appreciation for what it was, and what to do with it.  As you can well imagine it was an interesting mix of metric and imperial ....

I later bought a full set of Gedore spanners and sockets, then a decent set of screw drivers.  At that stage I did not have a dedicated garage wall to hang the tools, so the tripple tier gedore toolbox did duty for some 15 years.

I then got the opportunity to put up a small tool-wall .... by now I had bought a small compressor and porta-pack and a decent assortment of power tools.

2008 we bought a new house and I had the luxury to move in over a 4 week period ... NICE !!  I spent two weeks painting out the garage and putting up a new tool board, making custom brackets and pots for the screws, bolts, nut, etc ....  Space above this for the power tools.

post-110956-0-69598300-1572643637_thumb.jpg

2010 life happened, and I had to make the garage bigger .... this time round I had a decent idea of what I wanted for the tools and work space.....

Spent a few bob on proper shelving, a new larger tool board, and a LEKKA work-bench !  Time for some new screw drivers, pliers, cutters etc .....

post-110956-0-89816700-1572643696_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-90784800-1572643733_thumb.jpg

Another board was put up for cycling tools, and is steadily filling up ... :whistling:  :thumbup:

Having driven Leyland for years I always had a toolbox in the car.  :whistling:   This has been adapted over the years.  Currently it is plastic container with 3 smaller containers inside it.  Screw drivers and pliers in one.  Spanners in another.  Even a multimeter ....  These are Midas tools, but perfect for low use standby purpose.  

Would LOVE a small lathe ..... :drool:   maybe just as well that I dont have the space for it .... :whistling:

Edited by ChrisF

• 1 year later...

My dad always had lots of tools .... something of everything, but never well organized .... but with a racing background he certainly had most of it.

I was 20 years old when he passed away, and all the tools came my way.  I was a second year air-con appy at the time.  So I had a fair appreciation for what it was, and what to do with it.  As you can well imagine it was an interesting mix of metric and imperial ....

I later bought a full set of Gedore spanners and sockets, then a decent set of screw drivers.  At that stage I did not have a dedicated garage wall to hang the tools, so the tripple tier gedore toolbox did duty for some 15 years.

I then got the opportunity to put up a small tool-wall .... by now I had bought a small compressor and porta-pack and a decent assortment of power tools.

2008 we bought a new house and I had the luxury to move in over a 4 week period ... NICE !!  I spent two weeks painting out the garage and putting up a new tool board, making custom brackets and pots for the screws, bolts, nut, etc ....  Space above this for the power tools.

attachicon.gifIMG_6427.jpg

2010 life happened, and I had to make the garage bigger .... this time round I had a decent idea of what I wanted for the tools and work space.....

Spent a few bob on proper shelving, a new larger tool board, and a LEKKA work-bench !  Time for some new screw drivers, pliers, cutters etc .....

attachicon.gifIMG_6500.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_6534 (Small).jpg

Another board was put up for cycling tools, and is steadily filling up ... :whistling:  :thumbup:

Having driven Leyland for years I always had a toolbox in the car.  :whistling:   This has been adapted over the years.  Currently it is plastic container with 3 smaller containers inside it.  Screw drivers and pliers in one.  Spanners in another.  Even a multimeter ....  These are Midas tools, but perfect for low use standby purpose.  

Would LOVE a small lathe ..... :drool:   maybe just as well that I dont have the space for it .... :whistling:

That is one serious vice ... any chance of a couple more pics of it please?

post-110956-0-69598300-1572643637.jpg

What's inside? I used the chance to clean it out a bit after servicing D's bike today. I don't apologize for liking Park Tool!

LOVE the porcupine quill !