Bike Hub Weight Challenge 2020

Tuxstir

and  it's total bull.  Among other bull it  says fat causes diabetes and makes you hungry, whereas  its carbohydrates that do just that.  A low carb  high fat and moderate protein diet promotes satiety and is the only treatment known to reverse diabetes. 

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and  it's total bull.  Among other bull it  says fat causes diabetes and makes you hungry, whereas  its carbohydrates that do just that.  A low carb  high fat and moderate protein diet promotes satiety and is the only treatment known to reverse diabetes. 

I see that they say fat causes diabetes, but I'm not sure if they're referring to dietary fat, or the fat on your body itself. The latter has been disproven, but fat people generally have a higher disposition towards T2d.... 

And yeah, the hormonal effect that fatty tissue has on satiety is definitely present. 

If they're referring to dietary fat intake, then yeah it's a bit contrary to what the data suggests. 

I see that they say fat causes diabetes, but I'm not sure if they're referring to dietary fat, or the fat on your body itself. The latter has been disproven, but fat people generally have a higher disposition towards T2d.... 

And yeah, the hormonal effect that fatty tissue has on satiety is definitely present. 

If they're referring to dietary fat intake, then yeah it's a bit contrary to what the data suggests. 

It was also my impression was that they were talking more about existing body fat, not fat intake.

I'm sure there's a high correlation between being Fat and having Diabetes. If I sat around eating doughnuts I'd get them both. 

A bit late to the party, but I am in again.  Second half of 2019 was horrible with lots of work travel and just pure laziness, as well enjoying multiple 2nd helpings.  By the end of December I was the 2nd heaviest I have ever been at 107.2

I started eating better (well less, and also avoiding starch at dinner) on 30 December 2019 and have lost 4KG's already 1 month later.  My wife also wants to lose a few Kg's so that is helping the lifestyle change.  

My initial goal is 95Kg around the middle of the year, and hopefully 88Kg by the end of the year

Thank you for distinguishing between the two - t2d is normally from incorrect dietary habits. One run the risk of getting t2d when you pick up weight rapidly - like lets say you weigh 80kg and decide to go on a binge for 6-12 months eating and drinking everything in excess. So you drink a 2L Coke and 750ml of rum every evening and have burgers and fries along with it. By the end of your 12 month binge you will probably be north of 100kg and have insulin resistance and not be able to loose the weight. At this point you will start to run the risk of developing t2d 

https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/type-2-diabetes

t2d is curable and or reversible if you start to take a corner and stop putting crap in your mouth (not the only factor but a big one - see the link)

t1d on the other hand is a completely different kettle of fish - in this one your pancreas is dead and you need insulin injections to regulate your blood glucose levels. This does not happen due to poor diet and or being over-weight. This can happen due to lots of reasons but here's an article from the same chaps as above

https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/default.htm

This is basically carb counting and yes it does work. All you have to do for you to loose weight is to put in less carbs than what your body uses during the day. if a normal male uses 2000 calories per day and you put in 3500 calories per day then the result will be weight gain. If on the other hand you need 2000 calories per day but you only put in 1800 calories then you'll loose weight. There is a very cool app called "Fat Secret" on the Play Store - this App lists just about anything you come across during a normal eating session  :thumbup:

Just also bear in mind that if you need 2000 calories per day and you have a doughnut for tea (which counts about 452 calories) you need to bear that number in mind before scoffing it down. Either you will have to over shoot on the calories for that day or go hungry  :whistling:

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I DO! And it works! In the beginning you'll be shocked at the amounts of calories in some foods. The only thing is it gets tiring after a few months and I've slipped a bit the last few months of last year, but down 7kg for January. 35kg down in total.

Just also bear in mind that if you need 2000 calories per day and you have a doughnut for tea (which counts about 452 calories) you need to bear that number in mind before scoffing it down. Either you will have to over shoot on the calories for that day or go hungry  :whistling:

It's really like the guy in the article says.. you get obsessed with counting/weighing calories, and when you know how much calories are in those type of foods you're definitely going to skip the tea time doughnut at the office!  

Also you will soon start paying attention to the types of calories you put in your body. There's obviously good and bad calories. I count my calories but still try and keep my meals balanced to get in all the nutrients I need. That way I'm usually satisfied by the end of the day and don't crave for anything else. 

I think you'll have a hard time hitting your goals when you have that doughnut at tea and then only eat 3 rice cakes the rest of the day to hit your calorie goal. 

I'm now at 1200 to 1500 calorie intake per day. Burn around 500-1000 extra calories cycling per day. And that results in more or less dropping 1kg per week for my height and current weight.

Glad I found the groove again..now just to keep at it for another 10kgs!

Congrats  :thumbup:

It's really like the guy in the article says.. you get obsessed with counting/weighing calories, and when you know how much calories are in those type of foods you're definitely going to skip the tea time doughnut at the office!  

Also you will soon start paying attention to the types of calories you put in your body. There's obviously good and bad calories. I count my calories but still try and keep my meals balanced to get in all the nutrients I need. That way I'm usually satisfied by the end of the day and don't crave for anything else. 

I think you'll have a hard time hitting your goals when you have that doughnut at tea and then only eat 3 rice cakes the rest of the day to hit your calorie goal. 

I'm now at 1200 to 1500 calorie intake per day. Burn around 500-1000 extra calories cycling per day. And that results in more or less dropping 1kg per week for my height and current weight.

Glad I found the groove again..now just to keep at it for another 10kgs!

I rode with three guys this morning, 71, 72 and 73kg. I weighed in at 92 and a bit.

20kg makes a difference but when I get to their weight, it will be my turn to make them suffer.... :devil:  :devil:

I rode with three guys this morning, 71, 72 and 73kg. I weighed in at 92 and a bit.

20kg makes a difference but when I get to their weight, it will be my turn to make them suffer.... :devil:  :devil:

That's a great way to stay motivated! I'm 10kg heavier than the average weight of my Trans Baviaans team mates. One of my goals are to drop that 10kg by the time it's Trans Baviaans, and I'm pretty sure I'll be the one dishing out the hurt then (Not that you should dish out any hurt to your team mates on TB!!).

Looking at the Excel sheet it seems that we already lost 48% of the field that entered the Challenge at the start of the year (or forgot to weigh-in on 1 Feb). 

Congrats to Weekend Warrior taking the early lead at the end of January with a massive 8.52% weight loss!

Looking at the Excel sheet it seems that we already lost 48% of the field that entered the Challenge at the start of the year (or forgot to weigh-in on 1 Feb). 

Congrats to Weekend Warrior taking the early lead at the end of January with a massive 8.52% weight loss!

I saw the same thing........loosers!!!   :w00t:  :w00t: