Should cyclists pay road tax?

MORNE

Seeing as I already pay nearly half of my monthly salary towards tax which goes to a bunch of state owned enterprises which I do not make use of + road tax for cars + tolls + etc + etc + etc. I'm gonna go with a simple no on this.

I see your no and raise it to FOG (#### off government)

Dog tax is mostly due to the waste that pets generate. Bicycles don't generate waste. Its one of the most eco friendly transports systems

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We don't need to reinvent the wheel. Somebody just go and sit down with some Hollanders and see what has worked for them that we can implement.

But like most things, it is not a lack of good ideas that keep us from progressing but rather a lack of political willpower.

We don't need to reinvent the wheel. Somebody just go and sit down with some Hollanders and see what has worked for them that we can implement.

But like most things, it is not a lack of good ideas that keep us from progressing but rather a lack of political willpower.

Well for me it's more political implementation.

The ideas are there, some people in the city/state want to make improvements but the breakdown is at the allocation of funds and the management of said budgets.

Timelines get stretched, a few million get given to nieces and nephews, 2 million rand gets paid to purchase 25 litres of paint, then the deliverables have to shift because 'look, it's over budget and taking too long', so as a result the end product lands up a shell of it's initial idea, is built badly at 17 times the cost AND there is little to no accountability.

So no, IMHO, we, as citizens, should pay a citizen tax that goes to a part of the private sector that drives regional improvement, has up to date, transparent books and works in conjunction with local communities.

Like an improvement district BUT with clear and concise plans and no chairman.

Seems like a dream right? If so, imagine that same deliverable coming from the powers that be? 

More tax = more funding of an institution that is bereft of any functionality, honesty or direction.

Edited by Jewbacca

So no, IMHO, we, as citizens, should pay a citizen tax that goes to a part of the private sector that drives regional improvement, has up to date, transparent books and works in conjunction with local communities.

Rather not. This system is in place in Russia and parts of the USA. It's called the Mafia.

Rather not. This system is in place in Russia and parts of the USA. It's called the Mafia.

hahahaha

Yes and no.

There are some good examples of it working in some areas, even in the RSA!

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe a licence system can have a learners... where cyclist learn they should also stop at a red light, like the other road users. 

Maybe a licence system can have a learners... where cyclist learn they should also stop at a red light, like the other road users. 

It would be great if all road users followed all the laws of the road - not just selected users following some rules and ignoring the other inconvenient ones.

That's busses, trucks, taxis, police and traffic officers, ordinary motorists, motor cyclists and of course the cyclists (both commuter and the hard core lycra clad Strava chasing serious training type).

But I think that only happens in New Zealand and some parts of Australia...

It would be great if all road users followed all the laws of the road - not just selected users following some rules and ignoring the other inconvenient ones.

That's busses, trucks, taxis, police and traffic officers, ordinary motorists, motor cyclists and of course the cyclists (both commuter and the hard core lycra clad Strava chasing serious training type).

But I think that only happens in New Zealand and some parts of Australia...

I reckon a majority of road users drive within the law when it suits them and don't most of the time.

Like speeding. 60 is just a guideline in the suburbs until someone drives 100 past your own house while you're teaching your kid to ride a bike. Then it's law.

60 or 80 on Main road?! hahahaha please. I've seen guys clocking 140 comfortably when there is no traffic. 

Undertaking (left hand lane passing) while people hog the right hand lane... both against the road laws.

Not including cell phone usage, our traffic laws are used as guidelines and when enforced, people are either super aggressive about it or really self righteous.

I reckon 99% of users on here break the traffic laws daily but will deny it vehemently.

Orange lights are another 'guideline'.....

As the costs of motorised transport is subsidised by public coffers (fuel taxes and license fees alone aren't covering the bills), it has been shown that cycling can save governments buckets of money. Less pollution, healthy exercise, cheaper infrastructure costs and maintenance, less congestion, safer streets, compact parking. The benefits are many.

So surely the obvious thing to do would be to incentivise the behaviour rather than tax it?

As the costs of motorised transport is subsidised by public coffers (fuel taxes and license fees alone aren't covering the bills), it has been shown that cycling can save governments buckets of money. Less pollution, healthy exercise, cheaper infrastructure costs and maintenance, less congestion, safer streets, compact parking. The benefits are many.

So surely the obvious thing to do would be to incentivise the behaviour rather than tax it?

BIG businesses are PUSHING for electric-truck-transport.  Business plans are already in place.

And the government of the day only see the potential loss of TAX on fuel ... and thus refuse to work with the businesses for the e-trucks .....

by the same (screwed up) thought pattern why would they want more cyclists commuting to work ....

As well as all the poor people that cycle out of necessity not having to put their hard earned pennies in the pockets of the rich and powerful.