Tygerberg MTB Club Trails

JasonS

Tygerberg MTB Club  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a member of the club?

• Yes
    • No
    • No, because most of the 150km of the trails are generally speaking, smooth as tar.
  2. 2. If you answered No to Q1: If TMTB was more open to the suggestions of it's members iro the technical nature of the trails, would you consider becoming a member?

• Yes
    • No
    • N/A: I am a member
  3. 3. If you answered Yes to Q1: Would you like to see more of your membership fees spent on increasing the variety of the trail network?

• Yes
    • No
    • N/A: I am not a member

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not hold my breath that all the trails will be opened at once. Lots of maintenance to be done. Trails damaged, overgrown and a few bridges STOLEN no less. 

Look at Bloemendal first, and then a trickle of other trails. 

Personally I will not go ride any of the trails on the first day of re-opening, I'm foreseeing a rush like no other.

I would not hold my breath that all the trails will be opened at once. Lots of maintenance to be done. Trails damaged, overgrown and a few bridges STOLEN no less. 

Personally I will not go ride any of the trails on the first day of re-opening, I'm foreseeing a rush like no other.

especially if it's bloemendal

Conters drains very well, and being a MTB rider family owned farm I am sure they have not been idle RE trail maintenance .... so here is hoping they will be one of the first to open again. 

Lets hope this rain does not damage any trails ...

The rain itself does not cause a lot damage per se, except if there is drainage issues.

In fact, dusty trails are better after rain.

The wind will have dropped some branches though.

The damage is more a function of riders riding wet trails and dragging their brakes, especially when dragging back wheels through corners.

Edited by PhilipV

The rain itself does not cause a lot damage per se, except if there is drainage issues.

The wind will have dropped some branches though.

The damage is more a function of riders riding wet trails and dragging their brakes, especially when dragging back wheels through corners.

That's why people pay trail fees. Lucky for the UK and other climates with heavy rain they have no rain or people who know how to use back brakes...

That's why people pay trail fees. Lucky for the UK and other climates with heavy rain they have no rain or people who know how to use back brakes...

I totally agree. It's fair wear and tear. I was alluding more to the statement that rain damages trails.

If one wasn't supposed to ride wet trails, the North Shore and bike park Wales would not exist.

For those that have not been following the club news letter, nor what happened last year ....

1) just before winter Patrick and his team opens the drainage points.  They could NOT do this during the initial lock-down, and some trails got "washed away".  They have been working for the last couple of weeks to repair the trails, and to rebuild the missing bridges.

2) after heavy rains various PARTS of the trails have been locked off in the past.  No use in stuffing up water logged sections.  These typically lasted a few days, and then it was opened again.  We are looking at 50 to 60mm mm of rain this week.  Expect parts of B Spot to be sludge for a few days, remember this is a low area, which is barely more than wet-lands at the best of times.  Higher trails, with proper run off obviously is not affected.

PS - not "me" predicting anything, just recounting what has happened and what is reasonable to expect ....

For those that have not been following the club news letter, nor what happened last year ....

1) just before winter Patrick and his team opens the drainage points.  They could NOT do this during the initial lock-down, and some trails got "washed away".  They have been working for the last couple of weeks to repair the trails, and to rebuild the missing bridges.

2) after heavy rains various PARTS of the trails have been locked off in the past.  No use in stuffing up water logged sections.  These typically lasted a few days, and then it was opened again.  We are looking at 50 to 60mm mm of rain this week.  Expect parts of B Spot to be sludge for a few days, remember this is a low area, which is barely more than wet-lands at the best of times.  Higher trails, with proper run off obviously is not affected.

PS - not "me" predicting anything, just recounting what has happened and what is reasonable to expect ....

Not being funny here, but you must seriously be itching to ride that blue motorbike of yours again .. you just got it and then we got into this COVID mess!

Not being funny here, but you must seriously be itching to ride that blue motorbike of yours again .. you just got it and then we got into this COVID mess!

YES ....  :thumbup:   :clap:

Truth be told, I have only ever ridden it on TAR .... SO wanting to get some trail dust on it ....  :drool:   :drool:

Hey Thermophage look - a bermed corner...

All they are able to build, no wonder most members (including myself when I lived there) can't ride a corner when there are no berms.

I've come to the conclusion they design trails so that they can have extra maintenance and then whine when they need maintenance and close trails unnecessarily long because of it.

Le sigh

All they are able to build, no wonder most members (including myself when I lived there) can't ride a corner when there are no berms.

I've come to the conclusion they design trails so that they can have extra maintenance and then whine when they need maintenance and close trails unnecessarily long because of it.

Le sigh

You should never go to a bikepark. Don't waste your money. You'd totally hate the thousands of perfect berms and amazing jumps.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

You should never go to a bikepark. Don't waste your money. You'd totally hate the thousands of perfect berms and amazing jumps.

looool...I assume you used comic sans cos you were taking the p1$$?