Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

I don't think I could even do 2 hours on an IDT.

I never thought I could either but desperate times call for desperate measures ... Done 2 hour sessions the last 3 days

Day 1 - using my Garmin with speed, cadence, HR and power (PowerCAL) sensor (GPS off so I don't get those silly look at me going in circles type displays) and watching a training video with its associated repeated instrumental music. Was almost a 2 hour interval blimmin session but kept the boredom away. Was pretty stuffed after and soaked through and through

Day 2 - the same as the first day but with my own music and the intensity a little lower

Day 3 - got access to Rouvy, set everything up but unfortunately could only use it on my Samsung S6 phone so the display is a bit small but I could still ride a route. As it's a dumb trainer took me a little while to work out what was going on, speed is not from the speed sensor as an example, somehow calculated from your effort so when it goes up you need to increase your effort, I used a harder gear, to keep speed up etc. Still used my own music!

Will probably mix it up between the Rouvy routes and the training videos as long as it's necessary. Plan is to ride something every day.

BTW - sit ups are hard!

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I stay on a farm , but use the lockdown as an excuse not to do my little loop (also want to show solidarity for all in lock down) how can i upload my outside loop to ride on my IDT in Rouvy? I have the Kickr Snap , big tv and all necesarry. Please help !!

Good question, what cycling computer do you use...Garmin, Polar...

Short answer, I don't know anymore...

I used to download rides to Rouvy direct from my Joule cycling computer which i received with my Powerbeam when i bought it, but the joule died long ago and I have not uploaded any rides since then from my current bike computer (Polar M460 and polar's online program Polar Flow)

Essentially you will have to locate where the particular ride you want to upload FIT. or TCX. files are stored.

These files will need to be on the same device that your Rouvy program is installed.

Then login to Rouvy and look for the "Activities Import" button and then "upload file"

Click the FIT. or TCX. files you want to upload

Sorry i cant provide exact directions, my Rouvy is on a laptop and my Polar on my desk top so I cant try it out at the moment...

If you find out, please let us know

Good question, what cycling computer do you use...Garmin, Polar...

Short answer, I don't know anymore...

I used to download rides to Rouvy direct from my Joule cycling computer which i received with my Powerbeam when i bought it, but the joule died long ago and I have not uploaded any rides since then from my current bike computer (Polar M460 and polar's online program Polar Flow)

Essentially you will have to locate where the particular ride you want to upload FIT. or TCX. files are stored.

These files will need to be on the same device that your Rouvy program is installed.

Then login to Rouvy and look for the "Activities Import" button and then "upload file"

Click the FIT. or TCX. files you want to upload

Sorry i cant provide exact directions, my Rouvy is on a laptop and my Polar on my desk top so I cant try it out at the moment...

If you find out, please let us know

Thanks Swiss, i will go through the process and let you know. I am also chowing my energy bars because there is no sweets left in the house.... we are 20 km away from Spar....

Thanks Swiss, i will go through the process and let you know. I am also chowing my energy bars because there is no sweets left in the house.... we are 20 km away from Spar....

Haha I bought some apple pie and custard on Friday and been saving it for this afternoon

Haha I bought some apple pie and custard on Friday and been saving it for this afternoon

Bastard! Now I'm going to be thinking of desserts for the rest of the day.

I didn't do any additional shopping prior to lockdown (actually since Tues) and have spent the last 4 days craving dessert type food. Trying to hang on till Tues so shops should be fully restocked and hopefully fairly quiet.

Family core & strength exercises outside = lawn prezels

It's hilarious to see who has the least/most co-ord, flexibility and strength.

Battle with Rouvy, can see my old files from long ago, but to load and ride it is a f....n nother story. That was my main reason to can it last time as well.....so g@tvol i am going to do a ramp test instead!!

Bastard! Now I'm going to be thinking of desserts for the rest of the day.

I didn't do any additional shopping prior to lockdown (actually since Tues) and have spent the last 4 days craving dessert type food. Trying to hang on till Tues so shops should be fully restocked and hopefully fairly quiet.

Every Sunday is lockdown here (shops closed on Sundays) so i'm used to stocking up for Sunday  :clap:

Battle with Rouvy, can see my old files from long ago, but to load and ride it is a f....n nother story. That was my main reason to can it last time as well.....so g@tvol i am going to do a ramp test instead!!

Jaa tell me, I've been trying since earlier today and for some reason Rouvy does not see my TCX. files.... also decided ive wasted enough time with it.

So instead we are setting up a short but hard ride / race on Tuesday, see the group rides thread

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/185227-rouvy-online-ride-race/

You will be amazed. Just did a group ride with 3 of my mates on Zwift. Racing up climbs, competing for sprints. Only a 80 minute ride but the time flew by, was never bored.

No... I ride on the IDT in Zwiftopia too. That is quite fun.

This is not a smart trainer. This is just a treadmill . No gradient, no fun graphics...... Just running in the same spot while listening to podcasts.

I know of a guy that ran a marathon around his house on day 1 of lockdown. Something like 235 times around the perimeter of his property.

Ja, I have quite a few friends who have run marathons in the first few days.

I find running tiny loops and up and down my stairs more appealing than a treadmill!  :mellow:

No... I ride on the IDT in Zwiftopia too. That is quite fun.

This is not a smart trainer. This is just a treadmill . No gradient, no fun graphics...... Just running in the same spot while listening to podcasts.

Ja, I have quite a few friends who have run marathons in the first few days.

I find running tiny loops and up and down my stairs more appealing than a treadmill! :mellow:

But we know you aren't completely sane or normal ;)

Got caught in the rain today, luckily I was close to home. Did not think I’ll get so much elevation from the garden but it is almost 10m per km. Doing a run has definitely lifted my spirits.

So.....

Strava has made virtual rides count towards their April Challenges. And one of the challenges is to ride more than 100km in a single activity.

And as luck would have it there's a Rouvy route called

Cape Town Cycle Tour 2018

Which is 108km long. and was filmed during the CTCT in 2018. Just putting it out there. Please don't bite my head off for punting a specific platform I'm just putting it out there.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Strava has made virtual rides count towards their April Challenges. And one of the challenges is to ride more than 100km in a single activity.

And as luck would have it there's a Rouvy route called

Cape Town Cycle Tour 2018

Which is 108km long. and was filmed during the CTCT in 2018. Just putting it out there. Please don't bite my head off for punting a specific platform I'm just putting it out there.

Thanks for this! There's no way I would have been able to do the Strava cycling climbing challenge for April haha (I wrecked myself getting March). I'm trying to get a little climbing badge for every month of the year  :nuke:

Edited by aquaratza

Thanks for this! There's no way I would have been able to do the Strava cycling climbing challenge for April haha (I wrecked myself getting March). I'm trying to get a little climbing badge for every month of the year  :nuke:

BAHAHAHAHAHA!

Just checked your profile pic. 

Please no punterino, Jimmer!