Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

I have this issue with my fenix 3. Can I plot a route and follow it from my watch?

Yes, after you send the course you plotted in Garmin Connect, press and hold left centre button on F3 until you see System, dial down to Navigation, then Course and select the one you just downloaded, it will guide you as well as record the ride as normal...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goht1chuTMc

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can use your Garmin Connect account to plot a Course, either manually or Garmin can do it for you. Look for Training then courses and add a new course...there are a number of filters you can apply to allow Garmin to look for a ride for you. Then upload to device and follow on your device.

THANKS

Thought I would try this option first, as Garmin connect is already loaded onto my laptop.

Actually very easy to do  :thumbup:

TWO questions though:

1) what is the easier way to get the map to centre to your location ?  (I could not find the typical cross hairs I use on Google, had to zoom OUT, move to Africa then zoom in again ...)

2) If you click wrong, how do you remove just the last section ?

Uploading to the Garmin was super easy, as expected as everything is done inside Garmin Connect.

Even set the back screen to stay on for the ride ....

As for using the route on Garmin, can I just use the UP\DOWN arrows to flick between the route and my typical data screen ?

THANKS

Thought I would try this option first, as Garmin connect is already loaded onto my laptop.

Actually very easy to do  :thumbup:

TWO questions though:

1) what is the easier way to get the map to centre to your location ?  (I could not find the typical cross hairs I use on Google, had to zoom OUT, move to Africa then zoom in again ...)

2) If you click wrong, how do you remove just the last section ?

Uploading to the Garmin was super easy, as expected as everything is done inside Garmin Connect.

Even set the back screen to stay on for the ride ....

As for using the route on Garmin, can I just use the UP\DOWN arrows to flick between the route and my typical data screen ?

1. When you get to Course page top left is a Location box, put in your start point here, the location box also appears when you start creating a course. The map should zoom close to the address you input

2. This is a bit tricky as Garmin does insert waypoints as you build the course but its a bit unrefined and sometimes you can float you mouse over one and right click delete, other times it deletes the entire course...MapMyRide is way better at this or if you have Garmin Base Camp and the regional maps, then the individual track between WP's are listed and you can delete the incorrect ones and rebuild it.

3. Up/Down rotates between Navigation data screens.

Edit: A word of caution: The F3 and all the Fenix watch series are rather small for navigation purposes especially on a bike more so if you on the road....you need to keep watching it and if you have it on your wrist, and hurling down the road at 40km/h....well...you know how that can turn out! 

Edited by capediver

So who else is staring at the 5km radius screen .... plotting their next ride .... :w00t: :whistling: I know the roads to and from the trails WELL .... using this opportunity to be a roadie, and to see what other roads are nice in our area ....

What programs do you use to actually plot your route on a map, and possibly check distances etc ?

I do have a Garmin 520, but have never bothered to pre-plan or load any routes onto it.

PacePro sorted for my 10Km run tomorrow, on GC.

I use a combination of GC, RideWithGPS and/or Strava routes. I know most of the roads I drive on, so don’t really need the mapping tools. It’s more so that others in my club can load the route on their device. I find it useful though when traveling and want to run on roads I don’t know.

I plot many routes and sometimes never ride/run the routes. The route below is all within a 600m radius from home, so nothing much shows up on Strava.

751ccf254e44ceaf94d81816bc5b1dac.jpg

Just tried the same on my phone ... much more accurate to pin the way points AND a perfect undo function ....

Actually easier on the phone than on a computer ????

1. When you get to Course page top left is a Location box, put in your start point here, the location box also appears when you start creating a course. The map should zoom close to the address you input

2. This is a bit tricky as Garmin does insert waypoints as you build the course but its a bit unrefined and sometimes you can float you mouse over one and right click delete, other times it deletes the entire course...MapMyRide is way better at this or if you have Garmin Base Camp and the regional maps, then the individual track between WP's are listed and you can delete the incorrect ones and rebuild it.

3. Up/Down rotates between Navigation data screens.

Edit: A word of caution: The F3 and all the Fenix watch series are rather small for navigation purposes especially on a bike more so if you on the road....you need to keep watching it and if you have it on your wrist, and hurling down the road at 40km/h....well...you know how that can turn out! 

PS...I had forgotten about a great Android map app...ORUX Maps, really cool one for using as a navigator, the great thing is you can swap between N up (map is always showing N, a bit confusing when you going S!) and Track up (the map rotates around your direction so your track is always looking ahead/up...MUCH more friendly and something not all navigator apps do...

Built a while back and gotten real powerful now...takes some time to learn to use but excellent is you want to use your phone to follow a path/course you mapped out before hand.

What a ride ....  :clap:

5:30 I checked the weather forecast .... predictions have been all over the show during the last few days .... okay, maybe 1mm rain after 7:00.  GOOD !!

6:01 I start my ride.  It is overcast, and thus not as cold as previous mornings.  Dare I say it was NICE weather to be riding in  :thumbup:

The odd person going to work, but seems I was out on my own as far as practicing .... o-wait, lone jogger.  Then a set of flashing bike lights way of in the distance ... Through Eversdal I saw a few more walkers, joggers and two more cyclists.  Turned at Cape Gate, headed back past Hypermarket .... into the RAIN !!  Rain meter at home shows 5mm in 30 minutes  :w00t:   :whistling:

I KNEW it was raining properly when the crown jewels started swimming in the shammy ....  :blink:

I CAN confirm ... even a rainy ride beats an IDT  :clap:

post-110956-0-45922500-1588485297_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-05241600-1588485313_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-31371100-1588485329_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-82496000-1588485342_thumb.jpg

puddle of water from my socks ..... I was properly drenched !!  :whistling:   :thumbup:

post-110956-0-82026900-1588485360_thumb.jpg

Off course the Blue Beast was wiped down and chammied before I got into a HOT shower.  :whistling:

As of tomorrow I will be in office 6:00 .... see you out on the road next weekend .... (hopefully this bit of freedom does not get revoked before then)

I went out for my first ride after level 4 kicked in. Did not go too far, only 27.5km. It took some time to get used to riding with a buff covering my mouth and nose, so I did not want to overdo it the first time. I must confess, when I did the stretch from Sasolburg out on the R59, I did pull it down to breathe easier seeing I was all alone, no-one else that I could get into contact with.

To everyone plotting ride radius routes: It's very simple. The top of Chapmans Peak is exactly 5km away from wherever you are...

If you had seen the Riot Police on the beach and the huge road block with rifle wielding soldiers in Hout Bay yesterday you'd revise that statement.

These okes aren't fking about.

No I'm not joking  and yes I saw both with my own eyes.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Doesn’t look like the guys in Boksburg know what “no organized groups” means.

Saw way to many social bunches and also way to many snot rockets.

Eish.

If you had seen the Riot Police on the beach and the huge road block with rifle wielding soldiers in Hout Bay yesterday you'd revise that statement.

No I'm not joking and yes I saw both with my own eyes.

Was that "just" lockdown related or possibly in anticipation of fallout relating to Mariner's closing operations.

Really sad as the future of small businesses becomes more and more of a reality. :(

No I'm not joking  and yes I saw both with my own eyes.

Were they there to keep the JOCs and Savages out of your back yard ?