Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

Midmar was a right of passage in those days . 2 weeks in the caravan with the ballies , Windsurfers , Paper Tiger and eventually a ski boat.

Was a big deal to sail right across the dam from Morgenzon over to the yacht club , get slap chips from the restaurant there and sail back. If you missed the boat it was a long run around.

Remember so well the last few screaming reaches on my Flite slalom board as the wind howls just before the afternoon storm , and scrambling to get off the water as it hits.

Good times

Your story is so familiar and brings back lots of memories. Just Camping (Tents). Paper Tiger and Ski boat.   Windsurfer came later. Awesome memories

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly. Bliss. 

I'm more of a tent person, myself (having grown up in a few of these ones below, and normal dome tents) but there's something wonderful about being in the wilderness with nothing but sky, a camp fire and your choice of location. 

DSC_0975_-_Copy_1024x1024.jpg?v=15839786

Who needs a tent?

This is the way to sleep in lion country...

post-523-0-53435300-1595263903_thumb.jpg

post-523-0-47330400-1595263921_thumb.jpg

Few pages back ADMIN noted the number of new riders and new forum members as a result of Covid.

During our ride on Sunday we encountered a couple of new groups on the trails.  With day permits now available more and more new riders are out on the trails.

Nice single track sections, and the newbies are coming from the wrong side .... not realising that various sections are one-way ....  :eek:   :eek:

Thankfully we saw them in time and could pull over and wait for them.  We welcomed them, and pointed out correct routes and directions.  :thumbup:   We saw them later, and they were having a blast.

I have noticed the same (although the number of wind and rain free days this year feels like more than last too).

Must say compared to last year there have been a lot more people riding through winter this year!

I have noticed the same (although the number of wind and rain free days this year feels like more than last too).

Last winter was long drawn out thing in the Cape .... and the good weather days we were stuck in the office.

the obvious answer must be related to the fact that gyms are closed ... so people were finding alternate ways to exercise.  (though there are clearly some non-gym-goers out on the trails...)

Germany did not have a full lock down.  You were only allowed to go to the shops to buy food, go to work if you could still work not being able to home office, and you were allowed to go out and do sport on your own or within the family.  That pulled people off the couches to get up and walk. run and bike especially as a family but also many started exercising.  We have been free to move for quite some time now but it is still remarkable to see how many people are exercising.

On Sunday we went for a club ride and as we were riding past Lake Starnberg I was astonished to see how many people were on their bicycles out on the streets.  Bicycle traffic chaos I am telling you.

The park is a joke with this to be honest. 

Try run or cycle through delta without bumping into an inconsiderate runner/dog walker/cyclist/child or combination thereof.

I am not sure if people have less control of their kids or their dogs.

Obviously there is a shortage of biodegradeable poop bags because no one has any to pick up their dog poop(even though there are free plastic bags at entrance)

No your 2 year old should be playing in the fresh dirt on the jump lines, you don't need to walk your dog off lead especially if it bites. Big up yours to the dog owner who let their dog bite me the other day during my pb attempt) if you don't have control of your ****** little ankle snapper put it on a lead. 

seems like the increase in users has brought out the dumb ones

Edited by dave303e

the obvious answer must be related to the fact that gyms are closed ... so people were finding alternate ways to exercise.  (though there are clearly some non-gym-goers out on the trails...)

Ja.

Long may it continue

Must say compared to last year there have been a lot more people riding through winter this year!

I can only speak for myself here but last year this time I would have been in a spinning class 3 times a week. 4 if it was raining on Sunday.

Now I'm outdoors. Mostly running in the early mornings but outdoors non the less.

I can only speak for myself here but last year this time I would have been in a spinning class 3 times a week. 4 if it was raining on Sunday.

Now I'm outdoors. Mostly running in the early mornings but outdoors non the less.

Oh, then the pandemic did you a whole lot of good, keeping you out of THAT "peloton"  :whistling: