For the MTB riders: Visors or no visor on your helmut?

JC

Aaah you see. Never use a peak on the road. Ever. Wondering about that stiff neck? It's from peaking (yes) up from the drops to see where you are going... No option to change font on my phone.. unclip it man.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good question, mtb visors were probably inherited from MX and enduro background.

Would you ride an off-road mtb with a normal full face helmet or piss pot without a visor?

[emoji851]

On bicycles they are only useful as a sun shield or if you spend a lot of time riding behind someone in the wet.... they might shield your eyes for a few seconds, otherwise purely aesthetic and pretty useless.

I have always used a visor and use the same helmet for road an mtb, just does not feel right to ride without it..... if you don’t feel right, you can’t go fast

A visor on a road bike Swiss? Skud maar net my kop .... Sadly all hope is lost

Good question, mtb visors were probably inherited from MX and enduro background.

Would you ride an off-road mtb with a normal full face helmet or piss pot without a visor?

On bicycles they are only useful as a sun shield or if you spend a lot of time riding behind someone in the wet.... they might shield your eyes for a few seconds, otherwise purely aesthetic and pretty useless.

I have always used a visor and use the same helmet for road an mtb, just does not feel right to ride without it..... if you don’t feel right, you can’t go fast

yup....blame it on the UCI in 2008.

aesthetics over performance. People and marketing teams have since come up with a multitude of "reasons" why baggy clothes and motorbike helmets are 'more betterer' than skintight cycling gear and open face helmets for MTB, all to sell....wait for it....'a look' But it' all BS.

Truth is, if the UCI weren't fashion police....the WHOLE DH (and probably Enduro) paddock would be racing in skin suits and aero helmets...since it was proven to be infinitely faster that day when Ben Cathro and co pitched up and challenged the status quo by not worrying what they look like....but how fast they go.

I recall this one episode of GMBN where they took a DH bike, used cardboard to make a rear wheel more aero by crudely turning it into a disk wheel, strategically covered up some holes in the frame and front fork with more cardboard and tape....and wore a ski-suit with an aero helmet...he almost went 10 seconds faster on that run. Fine he looked a bit silly....but imo since when is fashion more important than performance in RACING?

Aaah you see. Never use a peak on the road. Ever. Wondering about that stiff neck? It's from peaking (yes) up from the drops to see where you are going... No option to change font on my phone.. unclip it man.

I did take it off for a triathlon a few years ago.... TT bike and position

A visor on a road bike Swiss? Skud maar net my kop .... Sadly all hope is lost

I also only wear mtb shoes with short black or dark colored ankle socks only

No road shoes or multicolored shin high things

I’m going to say it again. As long as it doesn’t impinge on your safety, wear what makes you comfortable and enjoy the ride.

I hate road cycling. I do it from time to time to remind myself why I prefer MTBs, but I grew up racing on the road. I like to cycle in Lycra. It feels right and that’s what I enjoy. I don’t give a rats ass what anyone thinks about how I look as long as I enjoy riding.

Wear a visor or don’t. It doesn’t matter. Just as long as you ride and enjoy

Visors and fannypacks are made in the same factory.....

Best the #Enduro crowd don't find out about that

For me it has squat to do with visor or no visor. It has to do with coverage on the back of your head. Typically (and I won't say all) helmets with visors are mtb focused and have better coverage, helmets with no visors are more road and XC oriented and won't have that level of coverage.

So figure out what type of riding you do, and buy a helmet that provides the protection you need. IF there are options with and without visors that provide the coverage you need, buy the one that you like the most.

I don't like how helmets without visors look.

Een man se lelik is 'n ander man se vrou.

I reckon how a helmet protects a rider is most important. I prefer helmets that comes low down, and has MIPS or similar. After that how the helmet sits on the rider's head is secondary. Followed by ventilation. After that comes looks.

But after reading through this thread I paid attention to my helmet's visor and how it keeps the sun out of my eyes. I ended up adjusting it a couple of times. Fortunately it is easily adjustable while riding. On a road ride it would irritate me, but today I was glad to have it.

After a crash that lead to a broken helmet and concussion two weeks ago I'm more aware of how the helmet functions, and I believe if it had MIPS it would have helped as well, as I had whiplash from the slam.

OP, pick a helmet based on how it protects you, how comfortable it is, how good the ventilation is, and then worry about visors and how it looks.

As a commuter I chose to use my MTB more than my road bike, it is just better , potholes, glass, hop on pavements. I got road and mtb helmet with a visor. Since I am a commuter and an all weather rider, I find the most value out of the visor in rain, it just shields that water from hitting the sweet spot on your glasses, so visibility is better for me. In terms of protection from the sun, I wear photochromic shades so doesnt matter to me.

" Also that some MTB riders around the world prefer not to wear glasses because of the constant light changing condition in races (forest/open) and therefor want a visor"

WEAR GLASSES PEOPLE!!!

Even if they are clear lenses.

Protect your vision. 

This is coming from someone with a prosthetic eye. You would be amazed how quickly a tiny branch or piece of sand can cause lasting damage to an eye.

Edited by Wayne Potgieter

I don't like visors because they tend to come off when hit by branches or the ground (in a fall) and they they become part of the cause of injury. I prefer helmets without a visor for that reason

Well said Wayne, it has been humid here so glasses mist up and you take them off; risking losing them.  But just a few minutes, even going slowly and some random fly, miggie or gravel particle can spoil your day.

As to visors, coming from dirt bikes I've always had one for sun, rain and even mud spatters; or so I think.  Best was a Bell with a tinted peak. But on a MTB recent ride a friend who'd been gifted a high end road helmet from a relative in the US was complaining about the sun in his eyes and on his face. Next ride, and since, he's turned out with a peak under the helmet. Use it, don't use it.

I don't like visors because they tend to come off when hit by branches or the ground (in a fall) and they they become part of the cause of injury. I prefer helmets without a visor for that reason

I agree.

The helmet I broke a while ago had a fixed visor. My leatt has a movable visor with breakaway mounts, hopefully I won't test it's functionality.

Mtb visors - If they were as big as an MX helmet visor then they actually work but they are usually to small to be of any real use and just are a waste of time.

Also on an mx bike a lot of the use is dipping your head to keep your googles clear of roost. But not even Shurter can gooi roost like a 450 out the start gates.