Indoor trainer price GOUGING during / after lockdown...

NINER_boy

This whole trainer story is the same as computers.

The money is in the software. No product to move. No warehousing costs. No manufacturing costs. Just a smallish team of IT nerds and a bunch of server space. Which you don't even need to buy anymore. The signals sent to the units aren't new. There have been feedback steering wheels in gaming for probably 20 years.

People paying $15 a month to see their little cartoon dude ride up an imaginary Alp. Beautiful! 

I believe that the increased volume of people using these apps will see improvements in the offerings and hopefully more competition and better pricing. 

I remember on the FitFilePodcast they discussed the job openings that Zwift posted and they clearly were fishing for engineers to develop their own branded Indoor trainer.

Could be interesting if they decided to diversify into hardware as well. Question would be whether it will be locked into Zwift(Like the Peloton bike), with a very reduced hardware unit cost to the user or whether it will be able to play nicely with other online platforms at a higher hardware cost to the user.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember on the FitFilePodcast they discussed the job openings that Zwift posted and they clearly were fishing for engineers to develop their own branded Indoor trainer.

Shu. I'm no business guru but I'd rather stick to what I'm good at.

I did have a little thought the other day tho. The Zwift bikes that appear in the game. Someone should license those and sell the real version of the virtual bike. 3 open mold frames. The climbing bike. The Aero bike. The TT bike. 3 build kits. Little bit of branding. Done.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

I did have a little thought the other day tho. The Zwift bikes that appear in the game. Someone should license those and sell the real version of the virtual bike. 3 open mold frames. The climbing bike. The Aero bike. The TT bike. 3 build kits. Little bit of branding. Done.

A real life TRON bike?!

Their bikes do look like a love child between Canyon and Cabal.

With regards to trainers looking alike.... SAME FACTORY.

The new titan racing frame has been around a while, same with Swift Evil twin.

You are paying for Marketing at the end.

Edited by no calves

It's crazy out there: I put an IDT up for sale and get this within 2 hours:

3 more pages of it!

attachicon.gifScreenshot_1.png

haahahahaha okes wanting sneaky pick ups or collections too I'm sure!

Just make your own set of rollers.

Hack a set of longboard trucks

Build a box to mount it

Ride like you own it.