Indoor trainer price GOUGING during / after lockdown...

NINER_boy

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What the government giveth, so can they taketh away.....

I would hold on for a while before selling. There may be a second wave and/or restrictions put in place for non compliance

+1,

I overheated and blew up my treadmill mid lock down, hopefully some is selling a good industrial unit come 1 May. I think we will be in and out of levels 3,4,5 for 6 months min.

How much was delivery? I opted to go collect but I might need to get it delivered.

I just hope cwc can get mine to me asap

How much was delivery? I opted to go collect but I might need to get it delivered.

Same for me.  Wondering if delivery might be the only option now. 

I see that Alixpress also now have a chinese made direct drive IDT

https://thinkrider.eu/product/thinkrider-x7-smart-trainer/

goes for 10k on alixpress

I have been looking into this while on lockdown and it looks like a very good option for us at the bottom of the food chain (love cycling, ride 2nd hand bikes, wahoo trainer above my pay grade) According to a few reviews SWIFT will recognize it as a power meter. DCRAINMAKER rated the unit very highly and tested it out of curiosity. In his review the difference were very minor.

The cost to bring it over using DHL is more than the cost of the unit. If there was a cheaper I would buy one. The bottom of the range model is around R6000. Will continue to find a cheap way to get to SA.

Other option of getting to SA is by going on holiday to Thailand. There is a branch in Thailand.

Maybe Christian or another supplier can shed some light on where their business stands given the President’s speech - will they even be able to operate?

I don't want to sound like the marketing manager for Wahoo here but for me a smart trainer is some of the best cycling money I've ever spent. My trips to France, A HRM, My smart trainer. Probably in that order.

Fitness is the most important aspect of cycling. You can have skilz for days or the fanciest lightest gear in existence if you aren't fit it's all for nothing.

We're all time pressed and if you don't have the time to ride a lot then you need to be as effective as possible with the time that you do have. My spinning and IDT have given me fitness gains but most importantly they have given me a bit of peace of mind.

When I do a shuttle day it's fine coz I've done the work during the week. When I ride with my other half and she wants to arb along at 15kph and moan about work it's fine coz i've done the work during the week. If the SE is humping and we decide to just roll to Camps Bay for a coffee that's also fine.

25k for a new Kickr? Bargain. But sadly this is like a trip to the Alps. You have to experience it to understand and that takes a little leap of faith.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

I just hope cwc can get mine to me asap

I saw a schedule which shows that "Ecommerce and delivery services" are only at Level 3.  :thumbdown:  :wacko:

edit: I'm also waiting for CWC to deliver mine.

Edited by eddy

Maybe Christian or another supplier can shed some light on where their business stands given the President’s speech - will they even be able to operate?

Hey Cookie88,

We're still slightly confused, the speech was very vague. 

I trust we will have more clarity from the ministers in the next couple of days. Talk is that warehouses can open, but an open warehouse is quite useless without an open retailer. 

I don't want to sound like the marketing manager for Wahoo here but for me a smart trainer is some of the best cycling money I've ever spent. My trips to France, A HRM, My smart trainer. Probably in that order.

Fitness is the most important aspect of cycling. You can have skilz for days or the fanciest lightest gear in existence if you aren't fit it's all for nothing.

We're all time pressed and if you don't have the time to ride a lot then you need to be as effective as possible with the time that you do have. My spinning and IDT have given me fitness gains but most importantly they have given me a bit of peace of mind.

When I do a shuttle day it's fine coz I've done the work during the week. When I ride with my other half and she wants to arb along at 15kph and moan about work it's fine coz i've done the work during the week. If the SE is humping and we decide to just roll to Camps Bay for a coffee that's also fine.

25k for a new Kickr? Bargain. But sadly this is like a trip to the Alps. You have to experience it to understand and that takes a little leap of faith.

WELL said !!

I am very much on the relaxed Sunday ride of the spectrum.  And even so, during winter I miss a few weekend rides.  Then a few more rides are missed due to project dead-lines ....

Getting a few regular kilometers done on the KickrCore keeps me going.

Another un-planned benefit ... sometimes these projects means I spend early mornings and late nights at my desk at home .... even a 10 or 15 minute ride on the trainer HELPS to clear the mind and to keep going with the work, WHILE getting the health benefits of a short work-out.

Certainly one of the best investments I ever made  :thumbup:   :clap:

Hey Cookie88,

We're still slightly confused, the speech was very vague. 

I trust we will have more clarity from the ministers in the next couple of days. Talk is that warehouses can open, but an open warehouse is quite useless without an open retailer. 

Think a big part of the answer will be clarified once the couriers can start operating normally ....

at least the on-line stores can then function normally.

The attachment would suggest that we have to wait for Level 2 ... or wait, maybe Level 3 ... or ... who knows ?  

EDIT - I can not find the previously attached document on the official government website.  Until it is confirmed as accurate I have removed it.

Edited by ChrisF

I saw a schedule which shows that "Ecommerce and delivery services" are only at Level 3.  :thumbdown:  :wacko:

edit: I'm also waiting for CWC to deliver mine.

not entirely correct ....

It depends on the "sector" serviced by that ecommerce and delivery service.  Even now, medicine and masks are delivered at home. 

I DO think that a very strong case could be made to move ecommerce and delivery up to a higher level ... as the risks are manageble ...

Sadly our industry is still at Level TWO  :cursing:   :ph34r:   I know LOTS of work is happening behind the scenes, and everybody is trying to move up that list ....

Only certainty is that the list will change over time .....