PPA urges government to allow cycling under strict lock down conditions

News bot

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Government docs say only in stage 3  :cursing:

bliksem yes sorry you're right. its only in level 3 so possibly only end of May!! 

another month before the lock down sales goods arrives

Offense totally intended, there are a bunch of entitled muppets around here.

We should be grateful for whatever is offered to us at this point. From a larger societal perspective, very specific guidelines such as these make complete sense. You're not special, you're a small part of a larger population which needs to be managed. Deal with it.

In response to some of the frankly stupid comments on the Facebook post:

1) The time limit is in place to minimise exposure time. The longer you're out there (regardless of whether you think you're an exception to the rule) the more potential there is for being infected or infecting someone.

2) The 20km guideline is in place to minimise range of infection. Based on the previous point I don't think it's necessary to explain this.

Do a few loops within a 20km range, feel better, come back and get off your high horse.

Like my wife and I discussed this morning: "Let's hope that it won't be a case of just having our freedom and then some roadie assholes riding in bunches give cyclists a bad rep again like they've always done."

Be lekker, guys.

^^this. 

From nothing, to a staggered approach. Plus, PPA is (whether you like it or not) one of the contributing "stakeholders" to those trying to get us out of this in a responsible manner. They're presenting socially responsible options (given the time we're in) to gov't. 

What would the detractors have, knowing that a blanket opening would be off the table completely. 

We should be grateful for whatever is offered to us at this point. From a larger societal perspective, very specific guidelines such as these make complete sense. You're not special, you're a small part of a larger population which needs to be managed. Deal with it.

Ja baas, dankie baas.

Wasn't being facetious, couldn't think of any other large ones on the cuff

Forgot about CSA the obvious alternative as they are the official SA cycling body (although focused on racing), SCSA, not familiar with them, is that not a school body?

Jip, School Cycling SA.

Actually a very big organisation. From 2020 each school pays an affilation fee to SCSA in accordance with their number of riders.

So they represent a very large number of riders.

Can add that we are very impressed with all their work and correspondence.

Frankly so much better than anything I have seen from PPA.

point is...they came with these arguably overzealous/greedy suggestions....the only thing that will happen is the Cele's will come out and say "screw those privileged bicycle straddling bastards...NO riding of bicycles. NON...ZERO...and while we are at it, ban bicycles forever.... Because hospital beds and crashing and reasons related to the fact that the poor dont have bicycles...so nobody rides one"

Like they did with the whole dog walking thing....just because it was mentioned and made a thing...it got totally shut down.

'Sometimes it is better to keep quiet or say sorry than to ask permission'  - comes to mind...

I wont be surprised if cycling actually now gets specifically mentioned/called out  as not being allowed  because the PPA's suggestions made it abundantly clear that people will abuse exercise privileges.

IMO there is a better chance now that it will be 'outlawed' until a certain lockdown level because it might be on their radar now.

TBH dude I think they knew this FAR before PPA came with their proposal. It's there for all to see. People taking liberties, dodging roadblocks with their "essential services" paperwork when they're not essential at all and so on. 

bliksem yes sorry you're right. its only in level 3 so possibly only end of May!!

another month before the lock down sales goods arrives

Going to be very interesting to see how the stages are implemented, AND when ... OR why ...

Somehow I see a bit of a jigsaw as the infection rate fluctuates ...

Timing ... with any luck we keep to bi.weekly updates and adjustments ...

fascist

Edited by DieselnDust

1) The time limit is in place to minimise exposure time. The longer you're out there (regardless of whether you think you're an exception to the rule) the more potential there is for being infected or infecting someone.

2) The 20km guideline is in place to minimise range of infection. Based on the previous point I don't think it's necessary to explain this.

Do a few loops within a 20km range, feel better, come back and get off your high horse.

Like my wife and I discussed this morning: "Let's hope that it won't be a case of just having our freedom and then some roadie assholes riding in bunches give cyclists a bad rep again like they've always done."

Be lekker, guys.

I TOTALLY agree with your post until you get to the ROADIE part of things. There are arseholes on both sides.Seen plenty mtb'ers riding in bunches on the black top.

I TOTALLY agree with your post until you get to the ROADIE part of things. There are arseholes on both sides.Seen plenty mtb'ers riding in bunches on the black top.

Ja, but they're on the road. You're only an MTBer when the tyres are in direct contact with air or mother nature... :P

Yeah, and then some of them even have the audacity to try and sit on my wheel when i fly past them on my super fast aero road bike  :P

I just want tokai back.... :(

Traverse ...

Just to be outside, and to be able to see the horizon ...

But that is outside the hypothetical 20km range ....

O.well ... we may dream ....

Be lekker, guys.

There is increasing evidence to suggest the virus does not survive long enough outdoors in sunlight to warrant having a range restriction.

It survives much longer indoors or away from UV light (or infrared - which component of sunlight still under investigation).