PPA urges government to allow cycling under strict lock down conditions

News bot

Okay but will it extend to everyone like surffers runners ect 

I know it's been brought up before but it's so obvious that this can't be exclusive to cyclists 

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as they allow courier services to resume so that I can receive my much needed IDT

ecommerce and courier services seem to be allowed.

Okay but will it extend to everyone like surffers runners ect 

I know it's been brought up before but it's so obvious that this can't be exclusive to cyclists 

PPA is a cycling organisation......

Surfing has to happen from a beach and those are closed.

point is...they came with these arguably overzealous/greedy suggestions....the only thing that will happen is the Cele's will come out and say "screw those privileged bicycle straddling bastards...NO riding of bicycles. NON...ZERO...and while we are at it, ban bicycles forever.... Because hospital beds and crashing and reasons related to the fact that the poor dont have bicycles...so nobody rides one"

Like they did with the whole dog walking thing....just because it was mentioned and made a thing...it got totally shut down.

'Sometimes it is better to keep quiet or say sorry than to ask permission'  - comes to mind...

I wont be surprised if cycling actually now gets specifically mentioned/called out  as not being allowed  because the PPA's suggestions made it abundantly clear that people will abuse exercise privileges.

IMO there is a better chance now that it will be 'outlawed' until a certain lockdown level because it might be on their radar now.

Are PPA SA's leading cycling organisation? Genuine question. And if so, by what measure?

Number of paid up members vs cash in the bank....

Are PPA SA's leading cycling organisation? Genuine question. And if so, by what measure?

Can you name any others?

point is...they came with these arguably overzealous/greedy suggestions....the only thing that will happen is the Cele's will come out and say "screw those privileged bicycle straddling bastards...NO riding of bicycles. NON...ZERO...and while we are at it, ban bicycles forever.... Because hospital beds and crashing and reasons related to the fact that the poor dont have bicycles...so nobody rides one"

Like they did with the whole dog walking thing....just because it was mentioned and made a thing...it got totally shut down.

'Sometimes it is better to keep quiet or say sorry than to ask permission'  - comes to mind...

I wont be surprised if cycling actually now gets specifically mentioned/called out  as not being allowed  because the PPA's suggestions made it abundantly clear that people will abuse exercise privileges.

IMO there is a better chance now that it will be 'outlawed' until a certain lockdown level because it might be on their radar now.

Yeah, but think about those poor orthopedists without income now, they need collar bones and ACLs to fix.

Can you name any others?

SCSA

CSA

Are arguably thee only official bodies that may speak on our behalf ....

PPA is, again arguably, no more than a club with a few paid up members ....

Can you name any others?

This is from my Facebook page 18 April - president of CSA (Austin) - yes another one

I understand your frustrations. Had discussions about it with SASCOC again yesterday to request support. They are consulting on behalf of all federations with SRSA to consider that being fit and doing regular exercise contribute to being healthier. We continue to ask. "
Edited by Icycling

I'm sure I can. But my question was an honest one. And as someone just suggested, membership might be a measure. According to their website this is 13,000 mostly in the W Cape.

Can you name any others?

Offense totally intended, there are a bunch of entitled muppets around here.

We should be grateful for whatever is offered to us at this point. From a larger societal perspective, very specific guidelines such as these make complete sense. You're not special, you're a small part of a larger population which needs to be managed. Deal with it.

I'm sure I can. But my question was an honest one. And as someone just suggested, membership might be a measure. According to their website this is 13,000 mostly in the W Cape.

Thus PPA is hardly more than a regional club ....

By comparison, SCSA has many more paid members, from all over SA ... granted, these are paid by the schools in accordance with their number of riders.

Edit ... just debating why PPA think they talk on behalf of "all" cyclists ... I actually do think their approach in this matter is the correct first step in negotiating the final terms ... and there certainly will be different levels of freedom for each of the 5 stages ...

Edited by ChrisF

In response to some of the frankly stupid comments on the Facebook post:

1) The time limit is in place to minimise exposure time. The longer you're out there (regardless of whether you think you're an exception to the rule) the more potential there is for being infected or infecting someone.

2) The 20km guideline is in place to minimise range of infection. Based on the previous point I don't think it's necessary to explain this.

Do a few loops within a 20km range, feel better, come back and get off your high horse.

Like my wife and I discussed this morning: "Let's hope that it won't be a case of just having our freedom and then some roadie assholes riding in bunches give cyclists a bad rep again like they've always done."

Be lekker, guys.

SCSA

CSA

Are arguably thee only official bodies that may speak on our behalf ....

PPA is, again arguably, no more than a club with a few paid up members ....

Wasn't being facetious, couldn't think of any other large ones on the cuff

Forgot about CSA the obvious alternative as they are the official SA cycling body (although focused on racing), SCSA, not familiar with them, is that not a school body?