PPA urges government to allow cycling under strict lock down conditions

News bot

Don’t hold your breath for much support from the PPA, what I hear they are rather a lame org only bent on take money from racers on race days, they do little with the money..... ...

So if they succeed with their request....will you NOT ride in protest?

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don’t hold your breath for much support from the PPA, what I hear they are rather a lame org only bent on take money from racers on race days, they do little with the money..... ...

Lol

Don't hold your breath for what you hear.... Ever!

My immediate knee jerk on this was that it was all about mamils. So many commuters in blue overalls out there. Great opporth not to give bike commuting a handup

I was just wondering, how would they know m I cycling 2 or 6 hours, 20 or 100 km? And just for argument sake who would stop me while I cycle in Walkerville bush to ask me that? Will they have cops on mtb just waiting for me next to several milion ppl they need to control in townships?
People got time, strava will expose the ignor/arrog-ant

This does not help me. I have to load my bike and go cycle at the craddle, which is around 22km from my house. I cannot cycle in my neighbourhood as it's too many main roads and robots. Also too dangerous to cycle alone around here. Much better in cradle with many riders around (obviously keeping safe distance from one another)

So he sommer decided what is good and what not for everyone.

Go do some good and stop trying to control people.    

Shame man.

Who is 'He'?

I was just wondering, how would they know m I cycling 2 or 6 hours, 20 or 100 km? And just for argument sake who would stop me while I cycle in Walkerville bush to ask me that? Will they have cops on mtb just waiting for me next to several milion ppl they need to control in townships?

You know those honesty boxes at your local trails?

This does not help me. I have to load my bike and go cycle at the craddle, which is around 22km from my house. I cannot cycle in my neighbourhood as it's too many main roads and robots. Also too dangerous to cycle alone around here. Much better in cradle with many riders around (obviously keeping safe distance from one another)

Our trails are mostly on private farms .... locked

Going to be interesting to see when that gets opened

Same boat as you though ... 20km does not get me to the trail and back...

When we are allowed out I will be riding around our neighbourhood ... BUT, between working hours and the curfew it might get busy out there .... will see what it is actually like, and then make a call...

Your neighborhood is that busy during lockdown? If you really wanted to go out and ride you would ....

Right now I'd ride whatever they let us as long as it's outside ... The way they talk though I'm not getting my hopes up.

“The government is good at one thing. It knows how to break your legs, and then hand you a crutch and say, 'See if it weren't for the government, you wouldn't be able to walk.” Harry Brown

Your neighborhood is that busy during lockdown? If you really wanted to go out and ride you would ....

Right now I'd ride whatever they let us as long as it's outside ... The way they talk though I'm not getting my hopes up.

“The government is good at one thing. It knows how to break your legs, and then hand you a crutch and say, 'See if it weren't for the government, you wouldn't be able to walk.” Harry Brown

Well seeing that 1.5 million people will be returning to work, I would assume it is going to become busy. I have no riding partner, and would rather not take my chances to cycle alone on Hendrik Potgieter and be hit by a taxi or robbed at gunpoint. Then I'll wait until I can go cycle at the craddle or one of the farms in the West / North of JHB.

I presume that, should cycling be allowed, you would need to cycle with a mask / buff over your mouth?

The rule as I understand it is that your mouth should be covered when you leave your home.

I'll be ok then, unlike the cool kids I ride with a buff most of the time [emoji12]

I presume that, should cycling be allowed, you would need to cycle with a mask / buff over your mouth?

The rule as I understand it is that your mouth should be covered when you leave your home.

Ja, your nose and mouth should be covered with a surgical or cloth mask

I am not getting my hopes up. Nowhere running or cycling is mentioned in level 4 with only " exercise under strict conditions ". Remember not everyone can exercise in his home or yard as people are living in informal areas, flats etc. I foresee movement to exercise will be permitted to your pavement/ parking bay/ sidewalk etc.

Really hope I am wrong but it will cause serious loopholes in the government's bid to keep people confined.

If we are allowed to cycle its going to open up routes one again for  me that were off limits due to traffic and safety. 

My wife and I will again be be able to use the N1 going south straight from home without needing to take the car and park to use a  quieter road. 

I suspect level 4 you will be able to walk the dog or go for a walk and nothing strenuous that could affect the immune system. The document issued yesterday clearly states jogging and cycling only at level 3