Bicycle insurance

Hulky

Thank you for looking us up ;) Just to clarify, we are underwritten by Santam, not a sub-division

I quick search suggest this is a "sub-division" of Santam ...

I have been with Santam for decades .... BUT, experience has taught me to ONLY work with them via a broker !!!

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That sounds fairly good. Cheapest I could get for my bike (R70k replacement value) was between R400 and R500 with Outsurance. 

Mine is with Santam, but as part of a bigger package including vehicle, house, content, etc ...  Also a good claims record.  

I do recall similar amounts (as mine) from other Hubbers, from other insurance companies.  But also many quoting significantly higher amounts .....

Cyclesure or King Price R1 (Cheapest options but probably only covers theft)

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone suggest insurance if you have two or three more bikes and you don’t ride them a lot I have quotes from Santum and Bike Sure and Hollard was quite high. I’d like to know if there are any other options specially if you can’t ride them all that much ideally should be like a premium offer. As long as they not underwritten by Gaurd Risk.

Edited by Emazing

Can anyone suggest insurance if you have two or three more bikes and you don’t ride them a lot I have quotes from Santum and Bike Sure and Hollard was quite high. I’d like to know if there are any other options specially if you can’t ride them all that much ideally should be like a premium offer. As long as they not underwritten by Gaurd Risk.

Miway or Jasure?

Edited by Super Sywurm

Can anyone suggest insurance if you have two or three more bikes and you don’t ride them a lot I have quotes from Santum and Bike Sure and Hollard was quite high. I’d like to know if there are any other options specially if you can’t ride them all that much ideally should be like a premium offer. As long as they not underwritten by Gaurd Risk.J

Hi there, why not give the JaSure on-demand insurance app a try. JaSure gives you the flexibility to switch your cover on and off, or leave your cover on, depending on your cover needs.

You could load all 3 of your bikes on the app and only switch on cover when you need it. For a quick quote, visit https://quotes.jasure.com. Please don’t hesitate to email us at help@jasure.com, or start a live chat at https://www.jasure.com or on the app.

Hi there, why not give the JaSure on-demand insurance app a try. JaSure gives you the flexibility to switch your cover on and off, or leave your cover on, depending on your cover needs.

You could load all 3 of your bikes on the app and only switch on cover when you need it. For a quick quote, visit https://quotes.jasure.com. Please don’t hesitate to email us at help@jasure.com, or start a live chat at https://www.jasure.com or on the app.

This is very quickly getting old, just getting the same sales pitch as response to different people talking about bike insurance. 

We get it. No need to flog a dead horse. 7 posts in a 25 post thread basically saying the same thing... no need to give the same sales pitch again and again and again (and again).

It is actually this type of behaviour which will ensure that I will not be heading over to your site.

Loong story made very short.

1. I have a car, paid off and comprehensively insured by Budget Insurance.

2. I buy a new, second car. Get insurance quote.

3. Budget quote me a ridiculous price.
4. Shop around for better premium on new car, and find better deal.

5. Cancel insurance with Budget.
6. Budget matches (and slightly) beats improved quote.

7. Stay with Budget (too much hassle to move)

8. 2 months later, paid off car in accident.

9. Dial Direct recovers vehicle (Budget matched quote by moving me to Dial Direct?)

10.Dial Direct phones me to inform I have no claim apart from vehicle recovery.

11.Turns out I am only covered for 3rd Party Damage on paid off vehicle.

12. After a long and protracted fight, I give and end up fixing car out of pocket and selling it to defray costs.

13. I move to SANTAM via personal broker and swear to NEVER do business with anyone else, ever again.
14. SANTAM has in the subsequent 11 years never once declined a claim, even when I got driven into by a truck and I never even logged a report at SAPS. It took 14 months, but I got my money back.

I know I am paying probably a grand more for insurance, but I will happily PAY for service, and not have to deal with Dial Direct, Budget, Outsurance and their ilk again.

School fees paid, lesson learnt.

Could you please confirm ONE item:

- are bikes covered for theft at home when the "cover is switched off" ?

MOST of the bike theft post suggest that bikes are stolen FROM HOME ....

As much as I want my bikes covered at an event and during a ride, I NEED full cover when at home.

Edited by ChrisF

Thank you for looking us up ;) Just to clarify, we are underwritten by Santam, not a sub-division

But you are trading on their license, and they have invested in you right?

Its not bad thing at all, but transparency is always super important :)

Could you please confirm ONE item:

- are bikes covered for theft at home when the "cover is switched off" ?

MOST of the bike theft post suggest that bikes are stolen FROM HOME ....

As much as I want my bikes covered at an event and during a ride, I NEED full cover when at home.

Hi Chris,

To answer your question, if you cover is switched off then you are not covered.

However, if you require cover all the time (even at home), then you can leave cover switched on. If your cover is switched on, then you are covered against accidental damage, theft & loss.

Please shout if you have any more questions or don't hesitate to email us at help@jasure.com

But you are trading on their license, and they have invested in you right?

Its not bad thing at all, but transparency is always super important :)

We fully agree that transparency is extremely important. Santam is the underwriter and JaSure is a juristic representative of Santam which we disclose on the app/web, etc. to ensure transparency. We announced our partnership with Santam as an investor earlier this year. We also agree that it’s not a bad thing  ;) 

About to put a claim through to Cyclesure for a cracked carbon rim, let's see how this turns out. Fingers crossed.

How did it crack?

Hi Chris,

To answer your question, if you cover is switched off then you are not covered.

However, if you require cover all the time (even at home), then you can leave cover switched on. If your cover is switched on, then you are covered against accidental damage, theft & loss.

Please shout if you have any more questions or don't hesitate to email us at help@jasure.com

Thus rendering the app practically useless, or rather incredibly dangerous .... based on the number of bike thefts from homes.

Frankly safer to rather get proper full time cover ..... which means it gets back to TWO things:

1) SERVICE .... and I am a firm believer in working via a reputable broker, mine certainly has helped me over the years !

2) Proper cover for a reasonable rate ..... "cheap" and insurance seldom ends well ...

At least that is my personal opinion, based on some school fees over the years ....