Bicycle insurance

Hulky

About to put a claim through to Cyclesure for a cracked carbon rim, let's see how this turns out. Fingers crossed.

I've only had good experiences with them. I'm sure it will go through seeing as Cyclesure covers pretty much every event.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thus rendering the app practically useless, or rather incredibly dangerous .... based on the number of bike thefts from homes.

Frankly safer to rather get proper full time cover ..... which means it gets back to TWO things:

1) SERVICE .... and I am a firm believer in working via a reputable broker, mine certainly has helped me over the years !

2) Proper cover for a reasonable rate ..... "cheap" and insurance seldom ends well ...

At least that is my personal opinion, based on some school fees over the years ....

I don’t agree. This service is for a specific client, like myself.

Assessing my own risk, theft from home is extremely low, almost nill. Thus, having 3 bikes, it just do not make sense for me to insure all of them for theft while not riding 3 times over. And, whilst I can possibly exclude theft from home from my policy, I can only ride 1 bike at a time.

So in principle, this approach is what I have been looking for. Only problem, their rates are not linear enough for me. A R400 full month quote equates to something like R190 for 1 day. Yes, you cap out at the R400, but that is after like 5 or 6 days. 

this therefore does not really help the 3 bicycle dilemma. You will be better of insuring them traditionally and negotiate multi asset discounts, especially if you ride each 3 or 4 times a month. 

so now I contradict myself I know. So in summary, great idea in principle for those with low “theft from home” risk. Poor pricing negates the advantages though

Edited by daniemare

I do find Santam more honorable as an insurer. The majority of insurance company’s are worse than bank robbers as they massacred as trustworthy they run the short ombudsman and sit on the board or they write up rules that are not legal in most other first world nations. It’s like the fox looking after the chickens.

I think apply multiple assets discount is a great idea.

Thank you all.

I just use JaSure for a quote - the system generated a quote about 75% higher than I have on my home owners policy for MTBIKES.

Also did the test. Cover at my current insurer R1025

Jasure - R550

And thats for cover whole month, I think the daily “switch on” idea is retarded.

Can some of you posting here give an indication of what you are covering? The R-premium amounts mean little for us to compare on. I mean I know the value of what I have insured and my premium, I'm interested to see a similar value insured for a bike and see if it's even worthwhile shopping around.

I do find Santam more honorable as an insurer. The majority of insurance company’s are worse than bank robbers as they massacred as trustworthy they run the short ombudsman and sit on the board or they write up rules that are not legal in most other first world nations. It’s like the fox looking after the chickens.

I think apply multiple assets discount is a great idea.

Thank you all.

Care to elaborate on that a bit?

Can some of you posting here give an indication of what you are covering? The R-premium amounts mean little for us to compare on. I mean I know the value of what I have insured and my premium, I'm interested to see a similar value insured for a bike and see if it's even worthwhile shopping around.

MTB - value R103K current premium R643       Ja Sure   R482  - whole month - which I doubt I will activate

Road Bike - value R44 000 current premium R506   Ja Sure R170 - as above

My mountain bike was insured for R25000, the premium was R150, JaSure is now R95.

Edited by Super Sywurm

I suspect some office staff posting for there company’s or some are just realy over paying for there insurance.

• 2 weeks later...

I just use JaSure for a quote - the system generated a quote about 75% higher than I have on my home owners policy for MTBIKES.

What a pleasurable experience. Quick and painless, longest thing was waiting for the couriers to deliver the rim.

Excess was 5% + 10% due to it being a wheel claim, still beats the cost of a new rim.

post-109482-0-71072500-1591895350_thumb.jpeg