Are cyclist just too superior to keep their masks/buffs on

Stefalbertyn

Let's see if he wakes up on the wrong side again tomorrow. I should rest on the sabbath but feck it

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the original question is answered with crystal clarity.

For the sake of my family I will ride outdoors on my weekday off and before dawn.

So much for the cycling "community". We deserve the reputation we have amongst non cyclists.

*asking for a friend*

Why cycle in packs where not a single person has a masked on? This morning a group of 4 guys passed me near Camps Bay - none with any form of covering their nose/mouth and the leader coughing his lungs out over everyone- me included.

Is it too much to ask? I counted mask wearers after this incicdent - less than 4% had their faces covered. It sort of makes it hard for those of us in the "danger" age group (50->) to be out cycling - just because of the majority of cycling community beig utterly selfish.

And if you think you cannot get it or that you are so much better than anyone else - good luck - no one knows! I lost 2 friends in as many weeks - the one just older than 40 with no co-morbidities.

But even if you are a super human - why would you willingly want to put others at risk?

Edited by Mamil

I’ve had a few chuckles . Haven’t seen a chap get triggered like that for a while. Even Patch was trying to protect him. Must say I think he got away lightly . But was a great evening . I’m off to bed so I can be first in lions head tmrw .

No you wont

It's been closed

For the sake of my family I will ride outdoors on my weekday off and before dawn.

So much for the cycling "community". We deserve the reputation we have amongst non cyclists.

posted at 23h45 - jrrrr, that was a texas-sized full day rant.  just remember to social distance when riding!  its the responsible thing to do, and you have my full support!

Yes, we should be murdered.

Geez, to all involved, that seemed like a monstrous waste of a Saturday afternoon and night

So much of negatively and anger, come to Hoekwil after lockdown and we can all have a ride and then sit around the fire and smoke a peace pipe

Namaste, kumbaya, peace be with you

Edited by Waynemol

Some context:

I drive our domestic worker to the taxi rank, both of us wearing masks, talking about the struggles to social distance for them and all the challenges this virus has dumped on our lives, what allot of people have had to sacrifice for the greater good.

And as I look out my window I see people going for walks in my suburb with either the mask on their neck or no mask in sight. Same with the other forms of exercising.

No matter how much you argue it, it is a requirement to wear a mask when out in public.

Now I sit there and wonder what kind of message we send to our fellow countrymen and women about how we consider them when we don't mask up.

That is where my frustration comes from.

Pyga, your approach is definitely better than someone riding in a group, even if they wear masks, IMHO. But I cannot condone it as "right". Cause as soon we start to list exceptions where masks are not required it will snowball and make the regulations surrounding clothes that may be sold look simple. Everyone would want their situation to be the exemption.

And, 3 of my immediate family members are health care workers. So I stress about them as well.

i think 30 pages is just about enough.  all points have been made, many, many times, and i propose that this thread goes to bed too.  even if mamil comes in VUH-RIM from his predawn raid/ride!

I wouldn't go that far. Censured for the entitlement so many of us display certainly.

But the murder analogy is interesting given the fatal nature of so many covid infections and the indisputable role mask wearing plays in reducing contagion.

Yes, we should be murdered.

i think 30 pages is just about enough. all points have been made, many, many times, and i propose that this thread goes to bed too. even if mamil comes in VUH-RIM from his predawn raid/ride!

Careful, you are starting to show the same tendencies that you have accused others of.

Careful, you are starting to show the same tendencies that you have accused others of.

it was a gentle and friendly prod - no animosity

I wouldn't go that far. Censured for the entitlement so many of us display certainly.

But the murder analogy is interesting given the fatal nature of so many covid infections and the indisputable role mask wearing plays in reducing contagion.

c19 death rate in sa is 3 times less than rest of world.  also, deaths in sa have gone down since c19 due to less murders and road accidents

Edited by PygaSchmyga

The murder thing and a conversation with a colleague put me in mind of the precautionary principle.

Would be interesting to see it legally tested wrt to the not wearing a mask while exercising and potentially carrying infection issue.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precautionary_principle

no need to test it - the mask regs are guidance and bear no sanction.  not wearing a mask does not rise to the level of a culpable act, intentional or negligent.  this is just you wanting to make it sound more serious than it is to support your endlessly repetitive narrative on the point

Edited by PygaSchmyga

Let us go then, you and I,
When the evening is spread out against the sky
Like a patient etherized upon a table;
Let us go, through certain half-deserted streets,
The muttering retreats
Of restless nights in one-night cheap hotels
And sawdust restaurants with oyster-shells:
Streets that follow like a tedious argument
Of insidious intent
To lead you to an overwhelming question ...
Oh, do not ask, “What is it?”
Let us go and make our visit.

no need to test it - the mask regs are guidance and bear no sanction.  not wearing a mask does not rise to the level of a culpable act, intentional or negligent.  this is just you wanting to make it sound more serious than it is to support your endlessly repetitive narrative on the point