Are cyclist just too superior to keep their masks/buffs on

Stefalbertyn

Apparently the risk of contracting the virus outdoors is negligible compared to indoors, indoors is the business end of the virus transmission.

I'd imagine the risk of transmission is further reduced at bike riding speeds with a barrage of fresh air constantly scavenging any traces of virus off your face/body, likewise but to a lesser degree for running.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/05/study-tells-remarkable-story-about-covid-19-s-deadly-rampage-through-south-african

There is a link in the article detailing the spread.

https://theconversation.com/coronavirus-drifts-through-the-air-in-microscopic-droplets-heres-the-science-of-infectious-aerosols-136663

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are mistaken, I am not calling for anybody to be banned.

I am pointing out that maybe there is blamed to be attributed to people other than Mamil.

Yes, Mamil got angry, I do not agree with his approach. but he was being wound up intentionally, in my opinion.

he wound himself up - he weighed into a thread that had been rolling for some time, and was met with  responses of arguments previously made (notably repeats of your and my exchange) - there was no targeted campaign against mamil.  I disagree wholeheartedly with you on this point.  His responses were laced with ad hominem content, and they were palpably aggressive

So we cannot say he got what he deserved, but the people antagonizing him didnt.

As for opposing my view on the mask thing, well Pyga did, and I believe we engaged very amicably on the matter I think. Pyga, please correct me if you feel differently. 

can confirm

Edited by PygaSchmyga

My posts were not laced with ad hominem content - they were out and out attacks, personal and non-personal and I stand by every single comment I made.

Mamil wan't "triggered" - I was and am furious and massively disillusioned by the behaviour of 80 percent of people on both my otside excursions over the weekend. Suday SO and I took a walk above Rhodes mem - it looks like Italy before the **** show started there.

To the list of emotions I experience and express here I add scared. Scared for what's coming as the wave builds and scared on a personal level as "you" and whomeever else, comes puffing down the trail potentially shedding this illness through a cheery greeting or gritted teeth.

You okes can dismiss my fury as being "toxic" or bad social media or whatever it is that's going to ensure your "comfort" but it's the "comfort" of the myopic and the ostrich.

All this tut tutting about Mamil - snoke a bong mamil - have a cookie - I'm not the issue - the issue is the issue and despite the massive amount of information exhorting and cajoling Mr Everyman into proper community oriented behaviour ....

And the attitude extends beyond the masks and the virus. It's behind the massive trenchant problems of our age - racism, environment, inequality, all the huge and intractable social problems are underpinned by processes and thinking similar to that highlighted by the non-compliance with simple precautionary messages from government.

So put that in your peace bongs and pray it's only vape in that cloud coming out your mouth.

I'm out - 

Maybe see you on the other side of this but I doubt it.

Edited by Mamil

Trying to find a middle ground I picked this quote up from one of the articles Harryn posted, specifically about runners and cyclists (https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2020/4/24/21233226/coronavirus-runners-cyclists-airborne-infectious-dose?fbclid=IwAR1XkiJk6Tu81-QqCP6RZFWfswBzqSZson29ZcRYM_pS9xt5AjGtkXYt020)

"The answer is, you probably don’t need to freak out about it. As long as you’re maintaining at least 6 feet of distance from other people and you’re not in a high-risk group, you’re engaged in a very low-risk activity, particularly if you and others are wearing masks."

No mask is "low risk" but mask is better. 

My posts were not laced with ad hominem content - they were out and out attacks, personal and non-personal and I stand by every single comment I made.

Snip

I'm out - 

I think that's where you lost the high ground and your valid point got lost in the angry swearing and ranting.

I can confer with Mamil about above rhodes to table mountain being packed yesterday. Majority of people didnt have masks, plenty of groups of people, Not mother, father and kids. More like groups of women, mixed groups, dunno if they related tho. Just witnessed in awe how some people just didnt care. The people I passed on the hiking trails who had masks, were not wearing them. Only when I came close would they pull the mask up. I had my buff double folded on my face 90% of the time. I would pull it off when I stopped. And of course the special dog owners too!! Got charged by one dog and the lady started shouting at me for walking in the bush. Goodness, its a hiking trail!!!! I reminded her about leash laws and she is wearing a mask why not the leash while walking on. Should of asked about her permit too, but I just wanted to get away.

I can confer with Mamil about above rhodes to table mountain being packed yesterday. Majority of people didnt have masks, plenty of groups of people, Not mother, father and kids. More like groups of women, mixed groups, dunno if they related tho. Just witnessed in awe how some people just didnt care. The people I passed on the hiking trails who had masks, were not wearing them. Only when I came close would they pull the mask up. I had my buff double folded on my face 90% of the time. I would pull it off when I stopped. And of course the special dog owners too!! Got charged by one dog and the lady started shouting at me for walking in the bush. Goodness, its a hiking trail!!!! I reminded her about leash laws and she is wearing a mask why not the leash while walking on. Should of asked about her permit too, but I just wanted to get away.

I'm not going to get involved in the mask argument, but wouldn't it be great if we lived in a civilised society where we are able to ride on our lonesome in this magnificent national park in the middle of our city. There was an attack above Rhodes Mem last week .

As a mountainbiker you have 3 choices -

1. ride alone and risk being attacked

2. ride in a group and risk the wrath of the Mamil

3. stay at home

now you even risk being attacked on the road.

Attack in Steenberg area

Attack in White Road Rondebosch

Mamil wan't "triggered" - I was and am furious and massively disillusioned by the behaviour of 80 percent of people on both my otside excursions over the weekend. Suday SO and I took a walk above Rhodes mem - it looks like Italy before the **** show started there.

To the list of emotions I experience and express here I add scared. Scared for what's coming as the wave builds and scared on a personal level as "you" and whomeever else, comes puffing down the trail potentially shedding this illness through a cheery greeting or gritted teeth.

You okes can dismiss my fury as being "toxic" or bad social media or whatever it is that's going to ensure your "comfort" but it's the "comfort" of the myopic and the ostrich.

All this tut tutting about Mamil - snoke a bong mamil - have a cookie - I'm not the issue - the issue is the issue and despite the massive amount of information exhorting and cajoling Mr Everyman into proper community oriented behaviour ....

And the attitude extends beyond the masks and the virus. It's behind the massive trenchant problems of our age - racism, environment, inequality, all the huge and intractable social problems are underpinned by processes and thinking similar to that highlighted by the non-compliance with simple precautionary messages from government.

So put that in your peace bongs and pray it's only vape in that cloud coming out your mouth.

I'm out - 

I concur with much of what you have said and feel almost every ounce of your frustration and angst... 

This virus is sadly going to hit us harder than I ever feared... there is still zero respect for it in the general populace despite the rapidly increasing numbers and the blue print of disaster we have already seen in much of the worlds better prepared and resourced countries.

We're still in the start chute as a country tackling Covid - the race is the Munga, we're riding a 'real' Makro special and will be fueled by only Salticrax and warm water. It's not going to be pretty

I concur with much of what you have said and feel almost every ounce of your frustration and angst...

This virus is sadly going to hit us harder than I ever feared... there is still zero respect for it in the general populace despite the rapidly increasing numbers and the blue print of disaster we have already seen in much of the worlds better prepared and resourced countries.

We're still in the start chute as a country tackling Covid - the race is the Munga, we're riding a 'real' Makro special and will be fueled by only Salticrax and warm water. It's not going to be pretty

I'n buying several Bells when I'm allowed to fly to SA again. The complete lack of logic baffles me.

I'n buying several Bells when I'm allowed to fly to SA again. The complete lack of logic baffles me.

Just remember you can only buy booze on tuesdays and thursdays  before 1pm and only if Surname starts with N.   

Because common logic and how to pay taxes are not in the school curriculum. We really need them to be as well...

Just remember you can only buy booze on tuesdays and thursdays  before 1pm and only if Surname starts with N.   

If the rules are so 'ridiculous', why do you lie/mislead people to make them look even more ridiculous?

PS: We can't buy booze on weekends because even buying them midweek only, is already causing huge headaches for our medical workers who should frankly only be focused on one thing. Add to that, social distancing, masks etc become even harder to enforce on drunk people.

If the rules are so 'ridiculous', why do you lie/mislead people to make them look even more ridiculous?

PS: We can't buy booze on weekends because even buying them midweek only, is already causing huge headaches for our medical workers who should frankly only be focused on one thing. Add to that, social distancing, masks etc become even harder to enforce on drunk people.

Oh relax will you, its called sarcasm.