Cycling bib vs shorts?

I have some very good Assos bibs but I have gravitated towards shorts. I find them very convenient and also really quite comfortable. But it's really very much a personal preference thing. Shorts seem not to work so well for people are carrying a little bit of weight around the front.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bb

Awesome thanks gents. Seems as though the setup still plays a part on the contact points aswell as the bibs. I will get me a pair and then check it out

Bibs all the way for me. Sizing is also very important. Don't err on the side of bigger is better if the bib is too lose then its doesn't anchor the chamois and it will move too much. Snug is good. You should feel a light downward pressure on the shoulders. Once you on the bike then that sensation goes away

So I have been cycling since the 90s, in those days I was a laaitie with little cash so I used shorts, with cheapo suspenders to keep them up.

Those days are long gone and I haven’t owned a pair of shorts since, I just take it for granted that bibs are better.

Recently listened to a podcast interview with a British lady who won the women category of Transcontinental a few years back. She mentioned she had a pair of bibs and shorts, and ended up preferring the shorts.

I wonder if, with the improvement in fabrics over the decades, shorts haven’t caught up or even surpassed bibs in comfort, but we are all so programmed that we don’t even consider that.

Hein’

Bibs are best.

The straps secures the position of the chamois insert and feels better as you create friction with your legs.

Shorts move all over the place and create eina rub on the skin.

Don’t wear underwear as it is not designed for comfort and the stitching can create issues. Read about chamois cream too. It will feel weird at first on your chassis

There are lots of threads here about bibs. Check it out.

The contact points (saddle, pedals and handlebars and your body position / bike fit) are very important.

The longer and more often you ride, the more comfort you’ll need and that’s where a good bibshorts are integral to a lekka experience.

Sterkte. ✌

Conversation over. All has been answered

I wanted to say shorts, but I might be feeling left out here.

I prefer shorts .Just difficult to find good ones 

hahahaha 

Bibs! Shorts!... No, your opinion is wrong!

I have both. I use both. I like both. It comes down to the fit, the chamois and how well it stays in place. I have some terrible bibs and some terrible shorts too.

But I am also a fan of cut off jeans and a pair of onnies...

So I have been cycling since the 90s, in those days I was a laaitie with little cash so I used shorts, with cheapo suspenders to keep them up.

Those days are long gone and I haven’t owned a pair of shorts since, I just take it for granted that bibs are better.

Recently listened to a podcast interview with a British lady who won the women category of Transcontinental a few years back. She mentioned she had a pair of bibs and shorts, and ended up preferring the shorts.

I wonder if, with the improvement in fabrics over the decades, shorts haven’t caught up or even surpassed bibs in comfort, but we are all so programmed that we don’t even consider that.

It might have been a lot more convenient for the auntie to stop every now and then while she was trancing the continent. I know I would prefer shorts if I was crazy enough to be riding through wide open spaces for a few weeks at a time.

It might have been a lot more convenient for the auntie to stop every now and then while she was trancing the continent. I know I would prefer shorts if I was crazy enough to be riding through wide open spaces for a few weeks at a time.

I had the same thought.... I wear shorts on expedition races for 'convenience'....

Shorts for me

Have a couple of pairs of Assos bibs in my cycling cupboard but almost always I choose a pair of shorts instead. I find the bibs a bit uncomfortable in the sense that they feel like they are pulling up to tight. In winter I might wear the bibs more often, find they help keep my lower back warm due to there being no potential air gap between shorts and top.

I like the First Ascent shorts.

Yes. I find that they are quite good value for money, are really very comfortable and seem to have a very good usage life.

Use both bibs and shorts, prefer bibs for long rides and shorts for quick spinning / wattbike sessions. SIzing is my biggest issue never sure if I am a medium or large 

Use both bibs and shorts, prefer bibs for long rides and shorts for quick spinning / wattbike sessions. SIzing is my biggest issue never sure if I am a medium or large 

That's probably a more accurate description. For a 100 mile race I will probably almost always take my Assos bibs. for a quick "muck around" at Northern Farm, it'll likely be the shorts.