South Africa’s First Subscription Box for Cycling Gear

News bot

I choose all of my things quite carefully - it's not very often that I get something on a whim, so this concept has no appeal to me.  

Plus, I've already got all of the things already...

Getting a random new wine every now and then does sound like something I could go for though.  

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This service is a perfect way to accumulate unwanted and unneeded crap, also there's only so many stomach churning new energy bar/goo/drink products you can try till you realise only the "####" bars work with your constitution and everything else has to get given away or trashed.

Wait maybe they'll include an Sram XX 12sp chain in each box [emoji2955][emoji7]

Ok, so the new line in the Classifieds, for reason for sale, is going to be "got it in my mystery box, do not need it. Brand new".

"mint condition" only tried once

These work well with beer boxes, baking boxes, gin boxes, food boxes because within reason everything in the box can be used/appreciated.

I think cycling is too nuanced. Firstly its expensive, so you just don't need some things in triplicate. But mostly we like certain brands, certain colours, and I mean what would I do with the mtb stuff when I only have a road bike? 

Cycling kit, like tools and anything else along those lines are pretty specific to an individual. My wife wont even buy anything for me when its birthday time, she knows I will have something very specific in mind and she wont know what it is.

I honestly cant see this working without having input on what goes in the box.

This isn't something new. Other sites like Vital have been doing it for ages. And it works well there>
https://gearclub.vitalmtb.com/?utm_source=vitalmtb.com&utm_medium=Nav%20Bar

The issue is the contents. If it is something light-hearted and fun then great. Soft-goods, food, cheap, useful and generic parts and the occasional nice, universal item like that Lezyne pump. But things that are too stylized and personal such as shoes/bibs or colour-coded items are not going to be easy to sell.

Good concept, but the implementation needs some adjustment to work out

My wife wont even buy anything for me when its birthday time, she knows I will have something very specific in mind and she wont know what it is.

Even when you say go to **** shop and buy ***** it doesn't work coz some ken alles salesman will try sell her something completely different. Or she'll walk out in frustration coz they were more interested in Tik Tok than making sales.

I mean it's cool but I don't have the extra coins rights now to kind of 'gamble' with, if that makes sense.

Good luck to these guys, if they around till next year then maybe.

These work really well with sports that have a lot of terminal accessories. Best example is the fishing mystery tackle boxes. You get season specific lures and gear, often you end up trying things you wouldn't typically buy as you get stuck into the routine of using the same old tactics. So for that it is brilliant, I have tried a few new things with success that I would never have chosen in store.

For cycling it doesn't make sense especially as the number of standards in cycling mean there is a big likelihood of something not being compatible,

Even when you say go to **** shop and buy ***** it doesn't work coz some ken alles salesman will try sell her something completely different. Or she'll walk out in frustration coz they were more interested in Tik Tok than making sales.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

This isn't something new. Other sites like Vital have been doing it for ages. And it works well there>

https://gearclub.vitalmtb.com/?utm_source=vitalmtb.com&utm_medium=Nav%20Bar

The issue is the contents. If it is something light-hearted and fun then great. Soft-goods, food, cheap, useful and generic parts and the occasional nice, universal item like that Lezyne pump. But things that are too stylized and personal such as shoes/bibs or colour-coded items are not going to be easy to sell.

Good concept, but the implementation needs some adjustment to work out

Now this would work better in my opinion.

1) You get a box "every" month

2) The items are generic that everybody can make use of.

3) The chance to get your monthly goods at a discounted rate.

I like the idea, but can undertstand the concerns mentioned in this thread as well. For me its all down to what kind of quality the items in the box are. Lets face it, R500.00 bucks a months doesnt really buy you a lot of gear anyway at regular prices.

Im keen to give it a try. for me, duplicates not an issue, as we end up giving them away to clients and so on. 

Im just trying to understand, if I get a box monthly (After the initial three month waiting period, or is it one box every three months?

So I pay close to R1500 and don't exactly know what I'm getting?

Is there some form of questionnaire that you at least know what items the person already has or needs? One only needs so many pumps, multi tools, water bottle cages or pairs of socks, unless its really something special. 

That is quite odd. One can go out and buy the goods

What can work is that they capture your preferences via your account.

They then select randomly the items from that Wish list and surprise you.

So If i have ASSOS Evo bibs in my wish list then maybe they can surprise me a set in my size and colour preference.

Obviously it would need to work out financially for them but then I can at least tell my Wife that Santa delivered the dropper and I could say this with a straight face.

Id just be paying them a portion of my monthly cycling budget and getting a "surprise" .

also the debit order should be linked to "book club" or "Puppy shelter"

Kind of like a Bicycle gear stokvel but with myself and subscription box

What can work is that they capture your preferences via your account.

They then select randomly the items from that Wish list and surprise you.

So If i have ASSOS Evo bibs in my wish list then maybe they can surprise me a set in my size and colour preference.

Obviously it would need to work out financially for them but then I can at least tell my Wife that Santa delivered the dropper and I could say this with a straight face.

Id just be paying them a portion of my monthly cycling budget and getting a "surprise" .

also the debit order should be linked to "book club" or "Puppy shelter"

Kind of like a Bicycle gear stokvel but with myself and subscription box

R500/month would never cover most things on my wish list  :w00t:  

i would only get a box once or twice a year....