SA Bucket List Rides

shova1

Well, that sucks! It seems that riding the Sani pass (the proper, off road Sani pass) is looking as likely as seeing AC/DC live in concert some day... A case of too little too late.

well you had enough time to tick this one off!!

but AC/DC are actually still active, latest reincarnation had Axl rose on the mike. 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A good Gravel grinder routes in and around Nelspruit. Contact me (Andre ) if you in the area for the weekend. from easy 35 km to 90 km routes, depending on you fitness level. About 60% gravel 40% tar.

well you had enough time to tick this one off!!

but AC/DC are actually still active, latest reincarnation had Axl rose on the mike. 

wash your mouth out Shebeen

There are/were 2 people allowed to sing with ACDC, ones dead and the other has some hearing issue

Axl is just a good karaoke singer

There are/were 2 people allowed to sing with ACDC, ones dead and the other has some hearing issue

i wasn't commenting on the quality, but technically it is possible to go to an AC/DC concert.

riding a gravel sani has come and gone (until the 2nd maintenance window on the tar goes and then it will be potholed!)

Harkerville Red Route
Location - 15km from Plett

Discipline - XC'ish (you'll work much of the time)

Distance - 25-30km

Difficulty - Intermediate upwards (nothing crazy)
Proper fun flowing riding with some of the best views you will ever take in.
Easier, shorter routes also available, but just do the red

Karkloof Trails
Location - Karkloof Country Club

Discipline - XC/Marathon

Distance - 10-80km

Difficulty - Intermediate upwards (IMBA markings)
The trails change as the logging moves around (SAPPI country)
But endless options for fun riding that will keep you smiling for days.
Home of Hylton Turvey, one of the best trail builders in SA. The soil round that area sure helps too...

Cycle Mashatu

Location - Tuli Block/Botswana (easier logistics than you might think)

Discipline - Marathon

Distance - 30km odd a day

Difficulty - Easy to Intermediate
Incredible game viewing from the saddle of your bike. All fully supported, with great food... and few things better than sleeping under a tree canopy in the African Bush around a massive bonfire with the nightlife calling.

All three of these place I would go back to in a heartbeat, and have been meaning to go back to, some as many as ten years. Don't be like Andrew, don't wait. You won't regret it

More of a simple one, safe and non technical

George/Wilderness to Knysna along the 7 passes and back.  Some detours on the way back

About 90km each way - gravel, lots of climbing but easy enough depending on your pace.  Gravel bike heaven, MTB obviously and road bike doable if you are tough and like rattling around (not suggested)

Places to stay and food in abundance

NICE THREAD OP

I'm ready.

Slow down !!

Brian Johnson is back in AC/DC, so back to normal, BUT I will not sit idle when anything bad is said about Mr Rose !!

True or not. ????????????

Calitzdorp to Prince Albert and back via Kruisrivier and the Swartberg pass.

Spend the night in PA.

Gravel 

About 90km each way, tough ride there and easier ride back, neither for beginners.

Done this many times in Dec, since I stay on a farm, Groenfontein, close to Kruisrivier.

Oh, and when in PA, cycle to Weltevreden Fig Farm, 50km out and back, close to sunset.  Magical!!!!

The evening in PA, lamb shank at the Swartberg Hotel!!!

Done this many times in Dec, since I stay on a farm, Groenfontein, close to Kruisrivier.

Oh, and when in PA, cycle to Weltevreden Fig Farm, 50km out and back, close to sunset.  Magical!!!!

The evening in PA, lamb shank at the Swartberg Hotel!!!

I think that the road from Kruisrivier back to Calitzdorp is one of the most magical rides one can do.

Good surface and after the climb out of Kruisrivier you have a undulating road gradually losing altitude so if you carry speed in you can power over the next rise (ok, this only works until you get to the dam).

The road is mostly shaded and you can do 50km without seeing a car, but it is not so isolated that it poses a threat.

I miss it.

Ps.

Where are you in Groenfontein?

I have an extremely long list. Basically cascades, giba, Heli drop off drakensberg, cederberg, swartberg pass, grootfontein bike park, Hogsback cycle trails, houdenbek, kluitjies kraal, 

Have done GRTP, Eselfontein, lebanon, welvanpas, paul cluver, oak valley, homtini, marloth, schapenberg, delvera, and some more...

I think that the road from Kruisrivier back to Calitzdorp is one of the most magical rides one can do.

Good surface and after the climb out of Kruisrivier you have a undulating road gradually losing altitude so if you carry speed in you can power over the next rise (ok, this only works until you get to the dam).

The road is mostly shaded and you can do 50km without seeing a car, but it is not so isolated that it poses a threat.

I miss it.

Ps.

Where are you in Groenfontein?

That road is pure magic, but a hard slog!!!

Groenfontein farmhouse is on your left as you travel towards Calitz, at the turn-off to Groenfontein Retreat.  We stay in one of their self catering houses that are on the right side of the valley.  Always in Oupa Piet which is the 100 year old yellow and green one on the koppie.  SPECIAL!!!  Been staying there for over a decade!!