Road rage in Campsbay

Bernard Horn

Camps Bay Main Road.......Eish. A cesspool of poor driving, silicone tits, opulent coffee shops, drunk sunbathers fed by a narrow strips of tarmac from 3 directions.

Bad driving and bad parking is part of Camps Bay culture. One must expect this when on a bicycle so I can understand how this situation arose. It happens every weekend.

Car cruise down the main road, can't find parking, A loading zone opens up. The "I'm-only-going-to-be-5min culture kicks in and they take the gap. Now vehicles behind have to accomodate this and it snowballs. Often there are cyclists caught in this sh*tfest and have no space on the left or right. Most will hang back and let the *fest unfold in front of them whilst others will try to navigate around.

I guess Mr Gulf Colnago decided to chirp something and got a response to which he felt the need to respond which drew more response and so on and so on and here we are with faecebook war declared on cyclists by the cyber warriors.

We don't need Mr gulf colnago to make drivers target cyclists. they already do that and will continue to do so until some of them get jail time for attempted murder or at least reckless and dangerous driving

Agree.

Same was as I treat all motorists as idiots on the phone that don’t know how to drive due to the 11/12 that have hit me in the past. Every time you see a taxi you treat them like the last one that drove on the opposite side of the road in your lane and hit you into the curb.

Nothing you do is going to change it.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Every time you see a taxi you treat them like the last one that drove on the opposite side of the road in your lane and hit you into the curb.

Very true, sometimes I get angry at people just because of the 10 other idiots I've seen in the few previous km and I always expect the next car to be as stupid (most of the time not stopping even if I am coming at speed with the right of way, like I'm transparent and don't exist).

Luckily most of the time I only swear in French and only to myself while hitting the brakes to be sure to avoid collision, so they don't really realise  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

But coming from a motorbike background I always ride my bicycle like I use to ride my motorbike, assuming every single other road user is trying to kill me, so for now (touching wood) I don't get surprised too much because I'm always expecting the worst.... and for Camps Bay I just hammer it in the middle of the road, most of the time I'm overtaking cars looking for parking but I would never ever stay on the side of the road waiting to be collected by some idiot opening their door or pulling out of his parking bay without checking his mirrors

Edited by Jbr

Idiots on bikes.

Idiots in cars.

Idiots walking their dogs without a leash.

Idiots everywhere.

If you transgress, take the punishment and apologise.

For the rest of us, careful in casting the first stone. Die blinde sambok slaan seer.

Yes I agree, too many idiots!!!  Take it easy on the bike... take it easy when you drive... be patient and in control of yourself temper!!  Have to admit my pet irritation is drivers with bikes on a rack behind their cars coming from or going to Bidon and elsewhere driving like maniacs... pedal your bike in stead of showing off and throttling your expensive SUV or macho double cab ... bunch of complete idiots!!!

Have to admit my pet irritation is drivers with bikes on a rack behind their cars coming from or going to Bidon and elsewhere driving like maniacs... pedal your bike in stead of showing off and throttling your expensive SUV or macho double cab ... bunch of complete idiots!!!

It's the worst.

Guy finishes fun ride, gets in his suv and nearly drives over riders still finishing the event. I guess some people are simply arseholes, whether on a bike or in a car.

I despise Facebook as much as this discrimination accusation culture - it wasn’t about gender. Seems to be about bad driving followed by inexcusable behavior

I know it’s cool to cruise the beach strip but it’s always busy, why not loop behind avoiding the traffic?

I remember in the early days of facebook it was more civil, I think it had to do with people using their real names rather than a chosen nickname.

That changed pretty quickly and now being combative seems to be the in thing.

I remember in the early days of facebook it was more civil, I think it had to do with people using their real names rather than a chosen nickname.

That changed pretty quickly and now being combative seems to be the in thing.

Like twitter.

In fact like most of so-called social media, it's a race to the bottom.

Follow the right people on Instagram and it’s a energizing place to be.

To be honest, all social media platforms now you need to spend the time “shaping” it to a positive experience.

There isn’t a platform out there (incl. TheHub) where I haven’t blocked a few people/pages where after a time they just bad energy. So it’s up to you to make it an enjoyable experience.