Bikehub prices are too expensive.

Grass Muncher

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been riding for 4.5 years now. I own 3 bikes, all of which I baught off the hub:

a 2014 carbon KTM / Ultegra and Mavic ksyrium wheels (22k),

a built up Momsen weighing 11.35kg (15k)

and an almost new 2017 giant xtc advanced/ full 11 speed XT with a brand new easton EA wheelset from another guy costing me 23k in total.

I remember that the giant xtc advanced 2017 model cost near R43k RRP

If I want to buy the same giant I got 2 years ago then I would have to pay around 25k on the hub and the bike wouldn't even be new.

Maybe I got great deal on my Giant but I literally can't find anything on the hub that's quite decent for its price.

People are almost asking the same price for their bikes which they paid for. ‍♂

There are better deals on the more expensive bikes that cost between 35-50k

The prices on the hub is so bad that I'd rather buy a new bike for my little brother than having him ride a second hand bike.

Am I wrong? Are prices actually fair.

The value of somethig is whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

If someone else is willing to pay 25k for a 2year old XTC, then that is the value of a 2yr old XTC.

Demand is driving up the prices, wether you think it is good value or not is irrelevant.

A new XTC Advanced is more than 50k now, so there has definitely been an upward shift in prices of new and second hand bikes.

Two problems.

Buyer are expecting a clearance sale in the classifieds. A bargain for everything regardless of age or condition.

Seller have emotional attachment to items they sell and expect to be paid for that attachment.

Solution: find the middle ground and accept that you can’t pay peanuts for everything and you can’t demand the whole peanut harvest either when selling.

Prices are high at the moment, supply is low. 

You gotta be quick if you wanna buy anything on the Hub now.

As an example of the low stock - I am helping someone I work with to find a Hardtail MTB - medium - under R10k in Western Cape. There are exactly four bikes advertised fitting these specs. I would have thought there would be loads

Two problems.

Buyer are expecting a clearance sale in the classifieds. A bargain for everything regardless of age or condition.

Seller have emotional attachment to items they sell and expect to be paid for that attachment.

Solution: find the middle ground and accept that you can’t pay peanuts for everything and you can’t demand the whole peanut harvest either when selling.

I think its also got to do with people who have no idea what the current prices are.

Not everybody is constantly checking new bikes outs, they probably buy something now then sell it over 5 years and think not much has changed.

I atleast practice what I preach. I sold my Chinese carbon track TT bars for R400 which i baught for R950 and its never been used. Im not selling it for cheap because I have a cash problem, im selling it for cheap because others have given me good prices in the past even when I negotiated with them.

If everyone sold their stuff cheap then everyone would be getting good prices. ????‍♂️ That doesnt make logical sense but atleast try it for things under R1000.