Tour de France 2021

gummibear

29 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

There are 10 seconds between them, and they are in turn 18 and 28 seconds back on Pog 17/27 seconds on Rog...

That's a lot by day 2. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't realistically see Gee winning

For a real GC contender to be 30s back now is not a major concern atall. Even a minute. 

bonus seconds etc and you right back in it after 1 stage. 

Remember Gee isn’t good at steep climbs at all so not suprised by his result today and especially short and punchy. Once this Tour once heads to the mountains which does not have a lot of steep climbs and there 2 good TT’s also where he can perform well. No idea how his actual shape is but to get 30s back with a inform Gee isn’t to hard and his team is incredible.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Vetplant said:

I was very surprised when MvdP did not feature yesterday, this is what many people expected from him, only a day later. 

He can easily now hang on to Yellow all the way to the Individual TT. 

Bold. "Are you feeling lucky?"

1 hour ago, J Wakefield said:

For a real GC contender to be 30s back now is not a major concern atall. Even a minute. 

bonus seconds etc and you right back in it after 1 stage. 

Remember Gee isn’t good at steep climbs at all so not suprised by his result today and especially short and punchy. Once this Tour once heads to the mountains which does not have a lot of steep climbs and there 2 good TT’s also where he can perform well. No idea how his actual shape is but to get 30s back with a inform Gee isn’t to hard and his team is incredible.

I hear you which is why I don't think Carapaz is out of it. Geraint though,...he's 35. I can't see him holding Roglic and Pogacar through the high mountains to give himself a fighting chance in the ITT's

Pog and Rog racing each other hard on both of the first two stages:

1. This is lining up to be a fantastic fight over three weeks. 

2. Ineos should be be ready to benefit from this incessant marking of each other and not wanting to pull the other one to the line. There is an opportunity there methinks.

On 6/26/2021 at 5:28 PM, Mntboy said:

Watching the breakaway and they were showing JA's winning move and it looked like MVDP got boxed in at that moment. No wonder MVDP couldn't make up the gap! Shows you how important positioning is!

I honestly don't think MVDP got boxed up there in yesterday's stage but rather didn't have it in the legs but for sure Alaphilippe got boxed up in today's stage(2) although he did somehow try or atleast wanted to contest but it was too late but hey guy got Green!!

11 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

I hear you which is why I don't think Carapaz is out of it. Geraint though,...he's 35. I can't see him holding Roglic and Pogacar through the high mountains to give himself a fighting chance in the ITT's

Thomas said he prefers to come in a little more fresh and hit form by week three. He might be older, but is experienced, and also has a strong team.

Will he win? Probably not, but he can if he stays upright and things don’t go the other Teams’ way. 

This is where a TTT would’ve made the Tour really interesting.

14 minutes ago, King Pluto said:

I honestly don't think MVDP got boxed up there in yesterday's stage but rather didn't have it in the legs but for sure Alaphilippe got boxed up in today's stage(2) although he did somehow try or atleast wanted to contest but it was too late but hey guy got Green!!

did you watch the last 10km and watch where MVDP was and the effort he made to move up when everyone was doing 6.5wkg? 

It's definitely true that the first 2 stages haven't suited Gee and have been more suited to a more punchy rider that can put in a big kick on the last climb..... and the power of the Ineos train hasn't been able to be utilized.... and that the tour is 21 stages long and we're only 2 stages in.... and that making up 30 seconds isn't impossible at all.... and that Gee has a strong TT.... and and and....

But I think the problem Ineos and Gee/Carapaz have is that the normal mountain train strategy that they've used in the past relies on having strong enough domestiques to set a crazy tempo up the climbs to prevent attacks, and then have a leader that can outkick the field in the last 1 or 2km. They have an amazing train his year, probably one of the strongest ever, but they're not going to be able to just ride Rog or Pog off their wheels (let alone their teams), and I don't see Gee or Carapaz out-kicking either of the Slovenians. I feel like the first 2 stages have proved this already. And I don't rate Gee on descent finishes even if he has a gap over the top of the climb. 

Barring any crashes, injuries, or ridiculous cross-wind chaos, I feel like there's 2 races on the go... Who can win between Rogla and Pog, and the race for the third spot on the podium. 

19 minutes ago, J Wakefield said:

did you watch the last 10km and watch where MVDP was and the effort he made to move up when everyone was doing 6.5wkg? 

Yess I saw.

13 minutes ago, Gnarly said:

MVDP does not have to save matches for week 2 and 3, his job is done, yellow for a few days, then off to Japan. 

Yep, main goal achieved. 

Now he can sit in the main bunch and do the Final lead-out for Merlier on these upcoming sprint stages and just roll to the line with the bunch. 

Will be interesting to see how long he hangs around after the TT. Maybe do some more leads outs. He could hang around till stage 13, but it gets rough thereafter. 

Stage win and a day in Yellow on your TDF debut. Anyone will take that.