Motorists vs Cyclists.... again

Terminator

8 minutes ago, MTBeer said:

I put the on the 'Where has your bike taken you' thread. Probably belongs here.

so I had the misfortune (sorry, couldn't help it) of spending a couple of days in Joburg at the SA Schools rowing champs. Drove about 40km daily each way to the venue from my in-laws place.

I have new respect for you Joburg roadies. My god, the place is lawless. Don't know how you guys survive a day out on the bike. That's besides the potholes and broken/missing traffic lights.

Jo'burg is not for sissies

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, MTBeer said:

I put the on the 'Where has your bike taken you' thread. Probably belongs here.

so I had the misfortune (sorry, couldn't help it) of spending a couple of days in Joburg at the SA Schools rowing champs. Drove about 40km daily each way to the venue from my in-laws place.

I have new respect for you Joburg roadies. My god, the place is lawless. Don't know how you guys survive a day out on the bike. That's besides the potholes and broken/missing traffic lights.

Agreed, its next level. Heaven forbid you indicate and over take when its safe to do so, the abuse you get from the other drivers...

• 5 weeks later...

It looks like Colorado is heading in the right direction

https://www.denverpost.com/2022/04/05/colorado-cycling-rolling-stops-bill/

By JOHN MEYER | jmeyer@denverpost.com | The Denver Post
PUBLISHED: April 5, 2022 at 10:41 a.m. | UPDATED: April 5, 2022 at 4:42 p.m.

Bicyclists who roll through stop signs will no longer be breaking the law after a bill passed by the Colorado legislature is signed by Gov. Jared Polis.

The Colorado Safety Stop bill will allow bicyclists to treat stop signs as yield signs and stoplights as stop signs, which already is common practice for many bicyclists. Motorists sometimes complain about the practice, but advocates for the bill say it allows bicyclists to spend less time in intersections where most accidents involving bicycles and automobiles occur.

“I don’t think this is going to make our streets look drastically different in terms of the way bicyclists are using them,” said Jack Todd, director of communications and policy for Bicycle Colorado, which lobbied for the bill. “Bicyclists are already to doing this, as a matter of common sense. This just makes that legal.”

A spokesperson in the governor’s office said he “looks forward” to signing the bill.

“Bike safety is a critical part of the Polis administration’s work in partnership with the legislature to make Colorado communities safer and more welcoming to bikes,” his office said in a statement, “and to ensure every Coloradan can get where they want to go as quickly and inexpensively as possible.”

Bicycle Colorado has been pushing for this sort of legislation for several years, and it conducted research backing up its argument that it would make cycling safer. An analysis of data provided by CDOT showed that in 2017-19 , 72.2% of crashes between bicyclists and motorists took place at intersections, Todd said.

RELATED ARTICLES

“We’ve been proponents of this statewide legislation for years and we’re excited to finally get it across the finish line,” Todd said. “All the data out there points to this being safer and reducing crashes between bicyclists and motorists. As an advocacy organization, we are always thinking about how bicycling can be safer in Colorado, and this is a proven tool.”

Cyclists who roll through stop signs, rather than coming to a full stop, do so to maintain their momentum. It’s not just a matter of convenience, according to Todd.

“Allowing bicyclists to use that momentum to get out of the intersection faster prevents these crashes from happening in the first place,” Todd said. “It allows bicyclists to get out of the place that’s most dangerous for them.”

Cyclists will still be required to stop at stoplights, but they will then be allowed to proceed through the light when it is safe to do so.

imagine trying to get this passed in SA. Cyclists will campaign against themselves

Edited by DieselnDust

On 3/5/2022 at 8:31 PM, wolver said:

Probably one of the easiest features to enable on a phone but the manufacturer, but that will never happen. 

I feel like an impact could be made by the insurance companies. Whenever claiming for a vehicle accident, affected parties phone usage data/metrics should be part of the routine claim process to determine if the phone was being used during/moments before the incident. If it was.... no payout for your R1m SUV. Then watch how quickly people start using their hands free and stop texting! There really isn't any excuse, most cars these days have bluetooth hands free built in.

Once we have that right we can get more people to select other luxury extras when buying a new car.... like indicators!😤

Would this be much of a deterrent? I don't believe that the majority of cars are insured . I know that one has to prove insurance when a vehicle is financed but I have never being asked to provide proof of insurance thereafter. 

I wanted to post this in that other thread that should probably merge with this thread seeing how the wobbles developed there.

But another thought/question...

How many of 'us'  too-cool-for-ourself cyclists use k53 hand signals when on the road? You know, when we decide to be road users rather than pedestrians. 

It doesn't take any effort at all to show fellow road users what your intentions are. Turning, changing lanes, stopping etc. And if you show them...they don't have to assume. 

'Assumption is the mother of all f@kkops'

'You cant have your cake and eat it'

😅

6 minutes ago, I FLY said:

Would this be much of a deterrent? I don't believe that the majority of cars are insured . I know that one has to prove insurance when a vehicle is financed but I have never being asked to provide proof of insurance thereafter. 

far to many people taking out insurance to get the new car and then canceling the moment they leave the dealership. Its scary actually.

The way around that is that insurance houses should be mandated to inform the finance company when insurance is cancelled, finance house should then contact customer for new proof of insurance.

12 minutes ago, ouzo said:

The way around that is that insurance houses should be mandated to inform the finance company when insurance is cancelled, finance house should then contact customer for new proof of insurance.

they do. Well some. had an extended warranty on a previous car that we wanted to sell. There was still 12 months left on that warranty. Since you cant transfer those 3rd party warranties on used cars...we cancelled it and got the balance of the money back. The next day Wesbank phoned and asked for proof of insurance lol. Obviously something got triggered somewhere. 

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

It looks like Colorado is heading in the right direction

https://www.denverpost.com/2022/04/05/colorado-cycling-rolling-stops-bill/

By JOHN MEYER | jmeyer@denverpost.com | The Denver Post
PUBLISHED: April 5, 2022 at 10:41 a.m. | UPDATED: April 5, 2022 at 4:42 p.m.

Bicyclists who roll through stop signs will no longer be breaking the law after a bill passed by the Colorado legislature is signed by Gov. Jared Polis.

The Colorado Safety Stop bill will allow bicyclists to treat stop signs as yield signs and stoplights as stop signs, which already is common practice for many bicyclists. Motorists sometimes complain about the practice, but advocates for the bill say it allows bicyclists to spend less time in intersections where most accidents involving bicycles and automobiles occur.

“I don’t think this is going to make our streets look drastically different in terms of the way bicyclists are using them,” said Jack Todd, director of communications and policy for Bicycle Colorado, which lobbied for the bill. “Bicyclists are already to doing this, as a matter of common sense. This just makes that legal.”

A spokesperson in the governor’s office said he “looks forward” to signing the bill.

“Bike safety is a critical part of the Polis administration’s work in partnership with the legislature to make Colorado communities safer and more welcoming to bikes,” his office said in a statement, “and to ensure every Coloradan can get where they want to go as quickly and inexpensively as possible.”

Bicycle Colorado has been pushing for this sort of legislation for several years, and it conducted research backing up its argument that it would make cycling safer. An analysis of data provided by CDOT showed that in 2017-19 , 72.2% of crashes between bicyclists and motorists took place at intersections, Todd said.

RELATED ARTICLES

“We’ve been proponents of this statewide legislation for years and we’re excited to finally get it across the finish line,” Todd said. “All the data out there points to this being safer and reducing crashes between bicyclists and motorists. As an advocacy organization, we are always thinking about how bicycling can be safer in Colorado, and this is a proven tool.”

Cyclists who roll through stop signs, rather than coming to a full stop, do so to maintain their momentum. It’s not just a matter of convenience, according to Todd.

“Allowing bicyclists to use that momentum to get out of the intersection faster prevents these crashes from happening in the first place,” Todd said. “It allows bicyclists to get out of the place that’s most dangerous for them.”

Cyclists will still be required to stop at stoplights, but they will then be allowed to proceed through the light when it is safe to do so.

imagine trying to get this passed in SA. Cyclists will campaign against themselves

Wow! That's really impressive. Well done Colorado

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

I wanted to post this in that other thread that should probably merge with this thread seeing how the wobbles developed there.

But another thought/question...

How many of 'us'  too-cool-for-ourself cyclists use k53 hand signals when on the road? You know, when we decide to be road users rather than pedestrians. 

It doesn't take any effort at all to show fellow road users what your intentions are. Turning, changing lanes, stopping etc. And if you show them...they don't have to assume. 

'Assumption is the mother of all f@kkops'

'You cant have your cake and eat it'

😅

Normally I do but when you're approaching an intersection where the road surface looks like a bomb hit a section of Mars rock it's probably best to keep both hands on the bars... Joburg life boet 

1 hour ago, ouzo said:

far to many people taking out insurance to get the new car and then canceling the moment they leave the dealership. Its scary actually.

You can do that???😲

I had no idea and thats quite scary. There goes thinking that so many cars being financed actually had a silver lining.

1 hour ago, wolver said:

You can do that???😲

I had no idea and thats quite scary. There goes thinking that so many cars being financed actually had a silver lining.

I have never had an MVA where the other party was insured yet they drive like they had Lloyds of London behind them all the way.

Edited by DieselnDust

2 hours ago, ouzo said:

people may do it as very few feel anything for the law, it is in breach of your contract with the banks and they can repo the care or legally come at you 

but as I say TIA people feel 4kol for the law

• 1 month later...

Botha Ave, Centurion this morning, group of around 7 riders, some in Bruce Reyneke kit, green support car following with "Think Bike" sticker😔Car stops, but riders casually skip 4 red traffic lights including busy one that takes traffic on/off to N1. Must have been late for their Hazelwood coffee stop I guess.

Screenshot_20220523-185340_Chrome.jpg.4539821469606f90ed62a157f4e4bc71.jpg

That truck is almost as wide the lane ...

Radical thought .... if the cyclists were 2 next to each other there would have been more space for everybody ...

Okay ... time to put on my flame suit ...