Motorists vs Cyclists.... again

Terminator

31 minutes ago, 117 said:

The getz didn't hit you. Whilst unfortunate in my short sentance, it's sadly that simple. 

The getz didn't hit me because i had to brake to avoid hitting him head on as he was on MY SIDE of the road. He was over the white line going around a blind corner overtaking cyclists. If it was a jcb that he was overtaking would it be the jcb driver fault for his actions? Don't blame the cyclists for him CHOOSING to go over the white line into oncoming traffic. 

If the getz hadn't CHOSEN to overtake illegally on a blind corner there would have been no accident. It's that simple.

If I could I'd draw a picture to make it easier for you to understand.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, that's a better description then. Thanks for explaining it better. 

3 abreast is still the first offense

And the Getz dude is probably some FT that you'll never see again

Hope you get the dent ironed out soon

6 minutes ago, 117 said:

Ah, that's a better description then. Thanks for explaining it better. 

3 abreast is still the first offense

And the Getz dude is probably some FT that you'll never see again

Hope you get the dent ironed out soon

On a dirt road with zero cars around, sure ride next to your buddies, but on a busy road like that, its plain STUPID, unfortunately to many of us do this, especially the roadie kind ... 🤪

Edited by TheoG

51 minutes ago, Duane_Bosch said:

The Getz driver was over a white line around a blind corner overtaking dangerously. I'm not sure how you reached that conclusion.

if you can't pass safely, it's not safe to pass.

then again, it's my responsibility when following someone to make sure I have adequate time to stop. Tailgating prevents this.

This is all so avoidable.

2 hours ago, Duane_Bosch said:

In what parallel universe is the person being rear ended at fault? Cmon oke. You know better than this

I think you misunderstood. You were rear ended. The accident was caused by the driver overtaking across a solid line so the cyclist Shoukd lay a charge against that driver, not you 

1 hour ago, 117 said:

So is riding 3 abreast. 

But we miss the wood for the trees sometimes 

Yea it is but that is not the decision that caused the accident. There are many wrongs in this event with Duane being the innocent party. Ultimately the pot cause of the accident was the Getz making a stupid choice 

6 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

I think you misunderstood. You were rear ended. The accident was caused by the driver overtaking across a solid line so the cyclist Shoukd lay a charge against that driver, not you 

And everyone involved should claim from the 3 riders abreast.  The Getz tried to fix the first FUP with a second FUP.

Note to self:  Never try to fix one FUP with another one ... 🙈🤪

Edited by TheoG

20 minutes ago, TheoG said:

And everyone involved should claim from the 3 riders abreast.  The Getz tried to fix the first FUP with a second FUP.

Note to self:  Never try to fix one FUP with another one ... 🙈🤪

The Getz driver needs some patience, cause after the bend the visibility is great and the line is not solid(assuming, dependant where on that road of course)

Speed limit is 40km/hr along that stretch past 1 chapmanspeak drive. Patience is a virtue. Too many motorists don’t exercise caution along this pass. 

Overtaking around a blind corner is stupid but every Sunday morning I see it repeat itself. Some drivers get it and drive slower but there’s always the boytjie in the 4tjunher 

I'd get the cyclist to pay for the damages. 

Despite the multitude of other factors, a safe following distance is universally one of the fundamental rules of the road.

We are responsible for our own actions, while factoring in those around us.

In an equation with that many moving parts, the guy could have easily avoided it by following his end of the bargain.

Looks like a perfect storm situation where there is no winner, only Duane and a bunch of people causing a headache for him

3 hours ago, ChrisF said:

It IS so easy to safely pass cyclists in SINGLE FILE ....

THIS group was that final culmination of facts that led to the accident.

But guess it is not allowed to point out this uncomfortable truth ....

IS the speed not something like 20/25km per hour on that road?

NOT approving riding three abreast, but if they are keeping to the legal limit, that car should never have had a reason to overtake as it would then be speeding?

One illegal action does not beget another.

ie three people cycling three abreast illegally, is not cause to commit another equally/greater illegal act by overtaking on a blind corner over a solid white line. Irrespective of the mode of transport.

Its pretty logical, simple and straightforward. The fact that Duane is at pains to point this out sums up much of the problems on the roads. 

I didn't read that Danger. It seems he's at pains to get recourse against the Getz driver - as is everyone else. 

I agree that the 3 abreast cyclists were the root cause. Effort should be spent to get them to pay or at least educated

I agree that a wrong doesn't beget another wrong, but fix the root problem and the rest won't happen

Its shyte when something gets hurt and I feel his pain of a dented vehicle, but we're all chasing the wrong pot here. Duane should claim from the roadie that rear ended him. What that chap does after to try settle his claim is his own problem

I'll get into single file now and wait for the Friday version 🚙

About two weekends ago, I am going down the West Coast Road, in the CT direction ... and pass a Super Pro who was tailgating a container truck ... I thought about hooting, but figured that could endanger the super pro.

A little further down the road, and I am sitting at a red traffic light, Mr Super Pro comes barreling through the red light, when I passed him again I hooted this time.

EDIT: Sometimes people do just not think!

Edited by Hairy

2 hours ago, 117 said:

I didn't read that Danger. It seems he's at pains to get recourse against the Getz driver - as is everyone else. 

I agree that the 3 abreast cyclists were the root cause. Effort should be spent to get them to pay or at least educated

I agree that a wrong doesn't beget another wrong, but fix the root problem and the rest won't happen

Its shyte when something gets hurt and I feel his pain of a dented vehicle, but we're all chasing the wrong pot here. Duane should claim from the roadie that rear ended him. What that chap does after to try settle his claim is his own problem

I'll get into single file now and wait for the Friday version 🚙

Quick question from a Vaalie, far removed from those roads:
(I know it is a what-if, but humour me on this one plz)

Isn't that road insanely narrow? Would a solo cyclist not resulted in the same issue?

Cyclist in road-> GETZ cannot pass safely without crossing the solid white line->GETZ decides "F&ck it, I've waited long enough, I'm going"->chaos ensues.

It was a safe scenario until the GETZ driver crossed the solid white line, no? 

PS. Sorry, it was unsafe already with Mr Pro-Cyclist tailgating the bakkie. 'n Dassie acrros the road could have cause the smash into the back of the bakkie

Edited by Vetplant
It was already unsafe.

11 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

Quick question from a Vaalie, far removed from those roads:
(I know it is a what-if, but humour me on this one plz)

Isn't that road insanely narrow? Would a solo cyclist not resulted in the same issue?

Cyclist in road-> GETZ cannot pass safely without crossing the solid white line->GETZ decides "F&ck it, I've waited long enough, I'm going"->chaos ensues.

It was a safe scenario until the GETZ driver crossed the solid white line, no? 

PS. Sorry, it was unsafe already with Mr Pro-Cyclist tailgating the bakkie. 'n Dassie acrros the road could have cause the smash into the back of the bakkie

As someone who rides 90% of the time alone I encounter the same issues with motorists on chappies. It’s always the same