Motorists vs Cyclists.... again

Terminator

2 hours ago, PhilipV said:

I grew up in Somerset West and cycled to school alone since grade 2. Now my kids are going to the same school, and I can't see myself letting them ride to school. It's like the wild west out there between cellphones, flat  whites and just plain not giving any F's. 

My dad says the mommies back then we're just as bad

I ride the boys to school, there are a handful of other kids that ride in. We pass other kids that are pulling out of their drive way and then pass them while they sit in ques. 

It boggles my mind that drivers have such a "must get in front mentatlity" that they will over take a 6 year old, just to jump on the brakes and sit, then have the audacity to complain when he rides past them and bumps their car by mistake because they have left no space.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

59 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

I ride the boys to school, there are a handful of other kids that ride in. We pass other kids that are pulling out of their drive way and then pass them while they sit in ques. 

It boggles my mind that drivers have such a "must get in front mentatlity" that they will over take a 6 year old, just to jump on the brakes and sit, then have the audacity to complain when he rides past them and bumps their car by mistake because they have left no space.

indeed the struggle is real... they walk among us

1 hour ago, Pure Savage said:

I've seen this happen. Mummies and daddies dropping kids off at Rustenburg girl's high which has a cycle lane in front of it. 

2 hours ago, SwissVan said:

surely the phone manufacturers could come up with a way to make it impossible for drivers to text while driving.

This ⬆️⬆️

Wish there was also a way to cutout minibus taxis when the driver starts counting wads of cash.  I’m able to solely use wide, almost pedestrian-free pavements and cycle paths on the way to several singletracks in my area.  Even so, the idiotic sod still mowed me down on a cycle path just past an intersection Tuesday last week.

At least I got more than enough of that wad of cash to pay for new grips and replace bust spokes and straighten a slightly buckled alloy rim.  Sorted the multiple cuts and bruises on leg and chest and elbow myself.  Only saw the smashed and buckled phone after getting home.

On a faaaarking cycle path!?

Being on social media, and not being able to bluntly say how you really feel about something must be really hard. 

Hope everyone is able to say their piece, and be ready for whatever comes with it. 

7 hours ago, ouzo said:

I was still with Volvo when they announced they would limit all their cars to 180km/h max speed. There are very few places in the world where you can legally do that speed or more on public roads, yet the backlash from people saying its their right to drive at that speed if they want was crazy.

People, the weakest link

On 3/4/2022 at 1:44 PM, SwissVan said:

.... surely the phone manufacturers could come up with a way to make it impossible for drivers to text while driving.

Probably one of the easiest features to enable on a phone but the manufacturer, but that will never happen. 

I feel like an impact could be made by the insurance companies. Whenever claiming for a vehicle accident, affected parties phone usage data/metrics should be part of the routine claim process to determine if the phone was being used during/moments before the incident. If it was.... no payout for your R1m SUV. Then watch how quickly people start using their hands free and stop texting! There really isn't any excuse, most cars these days have bluetooth hands free built in.

Once we have that right we can get more people to select other luxury extras when buying a new car.... like indicators!😤

15 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

Apple has the ability to automatically switch on “do not disturb” when it connects to your car’s bluetooth. I have mine enabled. 

No text is so important that it can’t wait until I reach my destination. Calls come through the radio. 

Seems "Android Auto" has similar functions ...  I have not explored this as my phone is paired to the radio and I only use the handsfree in the car.

1 hour ago, wolver said:

Probably one of the easiest features to enable on a phone but the manufacturer, but that will never happen. 

I feel like an impact could be made by the insurance companies. Whenever claiming for a vehicle accident, affected parties phone usage data/metrics should be part of the routine claim process to determine if the phone was being used during/moments before the incident. If it was.... no payout for your R1m SUV. Then watch how quickly people start using their hands free and stop texting! There really isn't any excuse, most cars these days have bluetooth hands free built in.

Once we have that right we can get more people to select other luxury extras when buying a new car.... like indicators!😤

What if you're a passenger in the car?

1 hour ago, Oodles said:

Perhaps some good old verbal conversation with the driver.

No text could be that important that a passenger has to be on their phone for the entire trip.

12 hours ago, Oodles said:

It should be easy to determine whose phone was in use and, for me anyway, slightly unusual that a passenger would use the bluetooth connection. But able to be overcome surely; have it linked to the drivers' side seat belt alarm for example s only theirs's, when they are using it, is disabled.

Had a rather pleasant day with vehicles this morning. 

Firstly the annual Johnson’s Crane half running race came past the neighborhood this morning. Normally that results in lots of angry hooting etc. as intersections are momentarily blocked off, there was none of that today. 

Then there is a narrow section of road that I forgot had road works on, when I remembered it was to late to change course so I hoped for the best. 
On the way out I had the wind behind me and was cruising at 40 kph, the 2 cars that did pass me through the road works slowed right down behind me and passed very carefully. 

on the way back I had a head wind and slight uphill, combined with trying to stay in zone 1 I was at around 22 kph, as I entered the roadworks section a truck came up behind me, he stayed there the entire 1km or so of the roadworks section. The moment the space opened to my left I moved over giving him a big thumbs up to which he replied with a short root toot. 

I put the on the 'Where has your bike taken you' thread. Probably belongs here.

so I had the misfortune (sorry, couldn't help it) of spending a couple of days in Joburg at the SA Schools rowing champs. Drove about 40km daily each way to the venue from my in-laws place.

I have new respect for you Joburg roadies. My god, the place is lawless. Don't know how you guys survive a day out on the bike. That's besides the potholes and broken/missing traffic lights.