Motorists vs Cyclists.... again

Terminator

I ride in the Uk West Sussex area  for just over a year and must say on the narrow B roads, even riding on the edge of the road 99% of the drivers will ride a save distand behind you with out hooting, till they see it is safe to pass you with no oncoming traffic and  also they will pass you with out geting to close to you, There is the exceptions, but I am very impressed with how the  majority drive.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Prince Albert Cycles said:

I have driven behind many many riders as a support driver over thousands of kilometers since about 1988. And I ride myself. And sorry to say but as soon as a butt touches a saddle the link to the self preservation part of the brain switches off . Obviously there are exceptions. 

It also helps to live in a town with exactly 2.5 cars and one traffic light in it…

😅

50 minutes ago, Baron said:

I ride in the Uk West Sussex area  for just over a year and must say on the narrow B roads, even riding on the edge of the road 99% of the drivers will ride a save distand behind you with out hooting, till they see it is safe to pass you with no oncoming traffic and  also they will pass you with out geting to close to you, There is the exceptions, but I am very impressed with how the  majority drive.

Because in the UK they have laws to protect cyclist and law enforcement that actually do what they are paid for. 

In this country as long as you don't hit another vehicle nothing happens to you. 

I had a little snot nose hoot at me the other day for stopping at a stop sign and then even wanted to know why I stopped and where my license was. He didn't get it when I said I forgot it on his mom's night stand. 

10 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

and bear in mind that the laws and insurance that are supposed to protect you probably will do the least they can to help until compelled to help.

I've stil not heard a peep out of Kirstenhof SAPS re my accident an the driver still maintains she didn't hitme despite several eye witnesses. Did any make a statement at the SAPS? No. SANTAM eventually paid out but I'm so in the **** in ith them i feel like kicking them into touch and going with Discovery to at least get some cash back for good behaviour. As for the motorists the more they get away with the more aggressive and negligent they drive. Its a race to the bottom out there

This door swings both ways - the more cyclists get away with poor behaviour, the more they're likely to repeat it. Human nature I guess.

Also, one should watch out for these vehicles that can climb things at high speed. Was out on a run yesterday and a small-ish 4x4 was approaching an intersection that has a built up circle. It went straight across as if there was nothing. All other road users, none in a car, were shocked by the sheer audacity to not give a damn. I'm thinking about having centre barriers installed in every circle because Jozi drivers just don't see the need to use these types of intersections properly. Either go across or take the shortest route to where they want to be.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, lechatnoir said:

Phil Gaiman weighs in... 

Informative video Phil 🤙

Yet, in Africa you find bricks behind the wheels of 16-seater people transporters

On 6/25/2023 at 7:02 PM, MORNE1102 said:

Out with a very popular cycle group in Fourways on Saturday (The large chain store one :) )  in a very misty and cold cradle. when we got to the Lanseria intersection 50% of the group went across the stop resulting in a vehicle who already committed to cross the intersection to halt dead in the middle of the road.

Give it was super misty and visibility was at around 20-30m I thought to myself we should have rather waited for the car to pass. One guy in the group proceeded to call the guy in the car a few names... I mentioned to him that I think we're wrong and almost got myself into a altercation (the Fourways boet-fighter is everywhere)

Point I'm trying to make is {we} as cyclist think of ourselves as untouchable especially in a large group where the entitlement syndrome runs very very thick in some. As thick as this CL member's cranium. 

I dont think there is a fix for this, best you can do is to always to try and rathe go for the save option and dont be a prick. 

Car vs Carbon, flesh and bone. Car always wins no matter how many times you call the guy driving a @#$3ing @@s@#$%. 

That same big megastore, let's name them for who they are - Cyclelab, give cyclists a bad name. In general, yes general, they behave like entitled royalty that need 3-4 abreast rather than the reasonable 2 abreast. Look at clubs like Northcliff Cycles and Club 100 to see thatsharing the road is possible 

1 hour ago, love2fly said:

That same big megastore, let's name them for who they are - Cyclelab, give cyclists a bad name. In general, yes general, they behave like entitled royalty that need 3-4 abreast rather than the reasonable 2 abreast. Look at clubs like Northcliff Cycles and Club 100 to see thatsharing the road is possible 

The problem isn’t the Store or the Club. It’s managed by good people.

The problem is the “old boys” club with in the club. People think they own the group they ride with. I also think this is everywhere in any group. CL is just the largest so they have the largest proportion of entitled roadies.

To be honest this entire experience soured the club rides for me. I’ll just cycle on my own. 

(Ps, I’m not “bashing” anyone) 

38 minutes ago, MORNE1102 said:

The problem is the “old boys” club with in the club. People think they own the group they ride with. I also think this is everywhere in any group. CL is just the largest so they have the largest proportion of entitled roadies.

To be honest this entire experience soured the club rides for me. I’ll just cycle on my own. 

Cycle lab clubs have their own people. i am def not one of them 😁

1 hour ago, MORNE1102 said:

Tend to agree. I shop more at CL now than in the past when it had that "elitist" image. The store is staffed by cool people and the service is pretty good with improved pricing.

14 hours ago, love2fly said:

Tend to agree. I shop more at CL now than in the past when it had that "elitist" image. The store is staffed by cool people and the service is pretty good with improved pricing.

the MyCycleLife vouchers help alot with the smaller stuff too :)

18 hours ago, love2fly said:

Most groups ride like this. While riding single file is the law, I dont have any problem with 2 abreast in the yellow which is illegal to use, but I feel much safer in it than next to it.

On 8/18/2023 at 9:34 AM, The Ouzo said:

the MyCycleLife vouchers help alot with the smaller stuff too :)

Yip. I've twice used price match to pick up a useful discount ....

To the idiot on the TT bike in the Cradle this morning.....myself and the car ahead (car ahead driven by a law abiding lady) were held up a bit by a tour bus ...we pass you a few hundred metres before one of the Cradle circles but get slowed down through the circle where you decide to come from behind and try and pass the lady on her left hand side INSIDE the circle and proceed to shout at her and hit on her car with your hand when you run out of road. What an @sshole move. It's guys like you that give us cyclists a bad name.