Motorists vs Cyclists.... again

Terminator

17 minutes ago, Mamil said:

Only when above 25kmph but before that they move it

Like you have ever cycled faster than 25km on your bicycles, including going down hill :P

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Can’t read article as it’s behind a paywall 

I'd guess it's about the dude who was hit over christmas by the navy guy early doors near Glencairn.

He is recovering and learning to walk again. 

The perp is still awaiting trial, which is why they have to use the word 'allegedly'.... 

8 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I'd guess it's about the dude who was hit over christmas by the navy guy early doors near Glencairn.

He is recovering and learning to walk again. 

The perp is still awaiting trial, which is why they have to use the word 'allegedly'.... 

thanks, I was hoping there was some detail around the trial and more witnesses being found 

6 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

thanks, I was hoping there was some detail around the trial and more witnesses being found 

I thought his court dates were set for mid March?

The police took blood at the scene and the video footage is pretty conclusive. IF the blood tests and arrest procedures were done correctly, he is in quite a bit of trouble.

The on scene blood tests all confirmed he was well over the limit, but the blood tests are the clincher. 

Anyway, lets see. I'm over all the conjecture and whataboutism involving these things.

I will await the outcome, but not actively. Baying for blood and justice for things outside of my control just shortens my life and takes away some quality

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

Can’t read article as it’s behind a paywall 

edit: paywall used to cost me R9/month. just checked up and they moved it to R75 in jan. sneaky buggers!!

Cape Town cyclist Dewald van der Westhuizen says his life has changed forever after he was knocked down by a speeding motorist while cycling with his coach, Mike Moriarty, in Simon's Town in December.

Van der Westhuizen's right leg was "degloved" because of the crash's impact. 

A degloving injury results in the top layers of skin and tissue being torn away from the underlying muscle, connective tissue, or bone. 

Van der Westhuizen has already had five surgeries to repair the damage caused to his right leg and knee.

He has been in hospital for about a month, unable to move while recovering from the multiple surgeries. 

Speaking to News24, Van der Westhuizen, 26, said he was "grateful and happy" to have finally been discharged from hospital, even though he was still unable to walk using both legs. 

"I'm learning to be mobile again. I'm still on crutches and moving around the house as slowly and as often as possible to get some movement in my right leg.

"It's been quite the experience having to adjust to the new normal after going through what I went through. But I'm taking each day as it comes," he added. 

READ | SA Navy suspends man accused of knocking down cyclists in Simon's Town

Recalling the events of 21 December, Van der Westhuizen said he had been cycling at around 05:00 with his coach in Glencairn when a speeding motorist crashed into them. 

"I don't remember much about the impact, but I do recall that when I was knocked to the pavement, my right leg was crossed over onto the other leg with quite a lot of blood coming from it. An ambulance arrived, and I was loaded inside.

"I remember they gave me so many painkillers to numb the pain till I got to Vincent Pallotti Hospital that morning, where I underwent my first surgery at around 17:00 that day," he added. 

Van der Westhuizen said doctors had told him he needed surgery, and he would make a full recovery. 

"There was a lot of pain, but the medication I was given really helped.

"I remember the doctor telling me that had I gone to another hospital, my leg [might have been] amputated. I'm extremely happy that wasn't the case." 

He said when he was able to come to terms with his ordeal, he saw the CCTV video footage that has since been posted all over social media. 

"There were mixed emotions seeing what everyone had been seeing.

"If I look at the speed at which the car was coming, there was no way he wasn't going to knock into us," said Van der Westhuizen, who had started cycling as a hobby in November and was preparing to take part in a fitness event in April.

He continued: 

Every day has its challenges. I've had to be confined to my bed every day when I was in hospital.

"The painkillers made it a bit easy when I had to roll over in bed to have myself washed because I couldn't put pressure on my leg. That was quite challenging."

He chuckled when he told News24 he "finally had a proper shower" last Wednesday. 

"This has really been quite an experience. It's not something I saw coming, but I suppose this is my life right now, and I'm learning to deal with it day by day," said Van der Westhuizen. 

He said he was grateful to have medical aid to cover his medical bills, having racked up more than R700 000 for the month he was in hospital.

Van der Westhuizen said medical aid was a "small price" to pay, considering he still has both his legs.  

READ | SA Navy suspends man accused of knocking down cyclists in Simon's Town

Garth Pasha, an able seaman in the SA Navy, was arrested shortly after the incident on charges of reckless and negligent driving, driving under the influence of alcohol, and attempted murder.

He appeared in the Simon's Town Magistrate's Court and was released on R5 000 bail.

His licence has been suspended, and the court instructed him not to drive a motor vehicle for the duration of the case.

SA Navy chief Monde Lobese suspended Pasha, citing the "charges the member faced are deemed to be of a serious nature". 

Navy spokesperson, Commander Theo Mabina, said Pasha was suspended with pay, pending the conclusion of the legal proceedings. 

"The next course of action will be determined only when all legal proceedings are completed," he added. 

Van der Westhuizen's father, Robert Gouverneur, has been attending every court appearance and told News24 the case was postponed to 5 April. 

The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) was approached for comment, which will be added once received.

Meanwhile, Van der Westhuizen said he had not received an apology from Pasha: 

I think a simple apology would have been welcomed. My life has changed completely; it's going to take a very long time for me to get back to where I was before I got injured.

He added that he would like to sit in on the next court appearance and see the man who caused damage to his life. 

In the meantime, he is working on regaining his independence.

"I hope to make a full recovery so that I can get back to doing things I loved doing, like surfing and walking on the beach." 

When asked if he thought he would ever get back on a bicycle, Van der Westhuizen said, "definitely not on a main road".

Edited by Shebeen

11 minutes ago, dave303e said:

I find it sad that after his license was suspended they still had to tell him not to drive as well.

assume he must just spend his salary on sixty60 deliveries while the case drags on

Navy spokesperson, Commander Theo Mabina, said Pasha was suspended with pay, pending the conclusion of the legal proceedings. 

"The next course of action will be determined only when all legal proceedings are completed," he added. 

On 2/26/2024 at 2:18 PM, Headshot said:

@Robbie Stewart

Has anyone got an update on the recovery of the cyclist hit by the motorbike and the investigation? 

Family member gave some news this morning on social media. "ICU unresponsive and not in good shape".

18 hours ago, cadenceblur said:

As received, no further details are known.  
This was received today.

IMG_7954.jpeg

59 minutes ago, Oli4 said:

Family member gave some news this morning on social media. "ICU unresponsive and not in good shape".

F#&ING terrible. 

19 hours ago, cadenceblur said:

As received, no further details are known.  
This was received today.

IMG_7954.jpeg

Me.

I was warming up to meet my training group this morning and was inside the yellow shoulder on the way to Cape Town stadium. Then the TV channel switched and I was flung somewhere and, getting up, I couldn’t see the car. The rear view mirror and fender guard left behind on the scene was off a Renault Kwid, not many of them around.

I am privileged to have an excellent health care network around me and hope to fully recover - very eina right leg, fractured ribs and scrapes and bruises, fortunately my spine and brain intact.

I am a lucky man. Please send healing vibes, Peoples.💛

IMG_5955.jpeg

Edited by 'Dale