Advice needed For Post Bike Sale

FreeSoul

Sorry to the people I have upset in this thread. That wasn't my intention. My intention was to hightlight the risks involved in buying goods you haven't seen and to point out if you go the legal route you need to have your ducks in a row.

I still hope that Rikus and Luke can resolve this without lawyers.

Happy Friday and have a great weekend

I'm not upset but I certainly wouldn't buy anything from you, but that's probably just me ...

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not upset but I certainly wouldn't buy anything from you, but that's probably just me ...

Well said, and it's not just you. I don't think AdamA did himself or his 16 x 5 star reviews any favours with this thread...

Anyways, thank you ALL for your opinions, advice, humor and guidance. This will now become a legal matter so as such I won’t be extending this thread any further.

I hope you got what you wanted from this thread.

I'm not sure if legal is the best route here, whoever wins might not gain much but the loser will definitely be out of pocket. 

I also think it is prudent to note that the vast majority of bike hub deals are done well. Both parties happy with the goods/price and we all gain. There is a risk buying 2nd hand, and the lower price of the product reflects this. This deal has seemingly fallen through due to distance/miscommunication/the lack of a beady eye. I don't think there is anything to say the bikehub system is broken here, this scenario could have happened on fb marketplace/gumtree/word of mouth deal.

What mistakes did the seller make?

• Selling on behalf of a friend
  • Advertising a bike in 'Mint Condition' - only a coin and a stamp can me mint condition
  • missing the cracked FD - (Which he offered to rectify) The buyer also missed this on first inspection
  • mistaking the 172.5mm Crack - (Which he offered to rectify)
What did the seller do right?
  • sent detailed pics of the bike when requested
  • informed the buyer it was not the original colours and that it had decals placed over it
  • 'indicated' that it was a friends bike when supplying the bank details
  • "meticulously protected" the bike while boxing it
  • Boxed and shipped the bike when he said he would.
  • Sent the buyer the waybill number
  • agreed to replace like for like the FD
  • agreed to replace the 172.5mm crank
What more do you want from the seller?
When **** happens, take responsibility and make good immediately. That is what I expect.

Not expect the buyer to wait around while the Seller tries and find more second hand parts (who knows what condition those may be in and how long it will take to source)

Edited by Mike Mac

When **** happens, take responsibility and make good immediately. That is what I expect.

Not expect the buyer to wait around while the Seller tries and find more second hand parts (who knows what condition those may be in and how long it will take to source)

“When **** happens” – That’s what insurance if for ( as I have already mentioned)

“take responsibility”  - he did for the FD and Crank

“make good” – He tried

“ immediately” – Lower your expectation … things take time.

Currently there is more information that supports that the “Impact” on the RD happened after the buyer took possession of the bike, as the RD was working then the buyer took it for a test ride on 13th JAN.

Is it expected that the seller keep the bike insured for 1,3,6 months so the Buyer is protected for ‘when **** happens’ while the bike is being ‘tested for defects’?

Shimano parts only have a 2 year warranty on them, why should a second hand private seller warranty them any longer?

You really are emotionally invested in this. It is actually not that important to anyone but the buyer, the seller and his agent.

Ps. And when you have referenced legal or insurance remedies or regulations they have either been irrelevant or just plainly wrong.

You really are emotionally invested in this. It is actually not that important to anyone but the buyer, the seller and his agent.

Ps. And when you have referenced legal or insurance remedies or regulations they have either been irrelevant or just plainly wrong.

seems like some sleepless nights too

I am emotionally invested in this... Much more that I would like to be.

But if there are 'unwritten rules' here on BikeHub that extend the liability of the seller to beyond the point of hand over of goods, then I would like need to know about them. 

Like someone said many pages ago. We buy second hand to save bucks, sometimes big bucks, and we take that risk. We trust the pics and info we see, we trust our gut feel. I must say, selling 'for a Friend' can only end bad, rather just sell your own bike. 

“When **** happens” – That’s what insurance if for ( as I have already mentioned)

“take responsibility”  - he did for the FD and Crank

“make good” – He tried

“ immediately” – Lower your expectation … things take time.

Currently there is more information that supports that the “Impact” on the RD happened after the buyer took possession of the bike, as the RD was working then the buyer took it for a test ride on 13th JAN.

Is it expected that the seller keep the bike insured for 1,3,6 months so the Buyer is protected for ‘when **** happens’ while the bike is being ‘tested for defects’?

Shimano parts only have a 2 year warranty on them, why should a second hand private seller warranty them any longer?

Why do you apologise for upsetting people and then just keep heading down the rabbit hole?

What do Shimano warranties, insurance, Bike Hub Pay etc have to do with anything? 

Sometimes it's alright to be wrong and to just walk away... At the very least, thanks for the entertainment your "arguments" have brought to this thread. It would have died off days ago if it wasn't for you.

Just for some context, what is your interest in all of this?

Why do you apologise for upsetting people and then just keep heading down the rabbit hole?

Given his attack on the buyer and defence of the seller, I am guessing that it was his bike that was being sold  :whistling: 

Not sure if that should be in Sartalics or not...  :ph34r:

What do Shimano warranties, insurance, Bike Hub Pay etc have to do with anything? 

Sometimes it's alright to be wrong and to just walk away... At the very least, thanks for the entertainment your "arguments" have brought to this thread. It would have died off days ago if it wasn't for you.

I'd also like know. Surely there must be something more to his persistence? I see only three possibilities:

1) AdamA knows the seller (and is possibly the friend he sold the bike for)

2) Trolling

3) AdamA, the Hubber that is well known for being a great buyer and seller of goods in the classifieds (5 star ratings all round) has recently succumbed to his alter ego, AdamB, who dislikes buyers with such veracity that he loses sleep thinking about them and must publicly voice his disagreements regarding their poor regard for due diligence in ensuring they are not conned by sellers (who by his definition are innocent of all possible wrongdoing).

Edited by Rock Guy

I am emotionally invested in this... Much more that I would like to be.

But if there are 'unwritten rules' here on BikeHub that extend the liability of the seller to beyond the point of hand over of goods, then I would like need to know about them. 

Let's start at the beginning.

Who is the seller ?