This level of entitlement is not helpful to the community

Reme Le Hane

Gate left wide open this morning, still with trail closed signs, and lots of fresh tracks. So I doubt landowner relationships are off to a great start sadly.

attachicon.gifIMG_2052.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_2053.jpg

Oh my....

Never, ever, in my life have I ever considered opening a gate to private property to enter. And even then, at the very least, close it behind you. You have no idea whether there are animals that need to be kept within the land.

My trust in the basic good of humanity leads me to say that I truly hope and believe that it was not a cyclist that opened that gate and left it open.

My hope is that one of two things happened:

a) someone who works the land left the gate open by mistake and the fresh tracks are from unknowing cyclists that entered there, thinking the route is open.

b) the land owner finished whatever task they needed to complete and chose to leave the signs there in case he needs to close the gate again in the near future.

Keeping an eye on this from up North, you guys are really Blessed with awesome trails. Don't screw it up for everyone else... I still want to come ride those trails in the near future.

post-27827-0-20883300-1611656815.gif

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In a similar vein we had some fallout at Klapperkop when council decided to exercise access control into the reserve. COVID regulations state that all reserves and parks must have these in place otherwise they should be closed to the public. So the guards were asking for masks to be worn and hands to be sanitised before allowing anyone access and the outrage that followed was something to behold. I tried to explain to the cyclists that it's actually in our interest to comply so that we can keep the reserve open regardless about how silly the regulations are. Man did I cop some abuse and I decided to walk away before I belted some loud mouth, I don't get paid to take this sort of crap. My guess is that the reserve will soon be closed thanks to some idiots that can't think beyond their own entitlement.

For him it's think. For you it's know.

I'm trying my best to get to your 90% numbers, but you just seem to have a knack for it. 

I'm trying my best to get to your 90% numbers, but you just seem to have a knack for it. 

Don't be so hard on yourself. You are doing much better than you think you are.

Sounds like Mnr Schutte may be related to that silver tongued diplomat ou Mike Schutte but eish, not doing mountain bikers any favours.  Offroad bikers and 4x4 enthusiasts have similar gripes; some twat screws it up for everyone, or though in this case, just more so maybe.

I have come a long road with riding on private property without permission, been bust by security, had firearms pointed etc but in every case we were deeply apologetic and promised never to to it again, not always truthfully. Mea culpa. Thank goodness some really great people negotiated with owners to allow mountain bike trails  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

But one thing is maybe worth noting is that in almost all the cases where I have trespassed, the security guard or manager was quite apologetic citing public liability issues that had occurred or had been identified as a risk, particularly by corporates. I was told separately that if the main boards of large (some listed) land owning companies, some overseas, were asked for permission to allow MTB races on their properties they would never allow it, even if local managers did.

Worth treading very softly and very politely methinks, regardless of how put out (entitled) you may feel.  Or file a land claim.

Obviously not. But some of us who actually ride the Stellenbosch trails and would like to continue doing so do care.

But please, don't let me stand in your way of getting to 30000 posts, we can filter through the non constructive comments.

apply comic sans. You have obviously never ridden the Spruit in JHB before...

But one thing is maybe worth noting is that in almost all the cases where I have trespassed, the security guard or manager was quite apologetic citing public liability issues that had occurred or had been identified as a risk, particularly by corporates. I was told separately that if the main boards of large (some listed) land owning companies, some overseas, were asked for permission to allow MTB races on their properties they would never allow it, even if local managers did.

Sometimes my work takes me to places like this ....

post-110956-0-97694100-1611664430_thumb.jpg

This includes a much larger "behind" the camera which is a operated a game range ... no hunting, so the animals are tame and you can get close to them.

post-110956-0-17622700-1611664904_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-82131600-1611664917_thumb.jpg

They have had some big offers to host cycling events.

one big flat NO .... purely due to the liability issues.

The owner is actually a big cyclist himself, having cycled from Augrabies to Cape Town, using almost only gravel roads and crossing farms.  He has done a couple of the Trans Augrabies events - these actually crosses some of their farms from what I understand.

Lucky me ..... when I drive up, I am allowed to take my bike with and enjoy the area ....

In a similar vein we had some fallout at Klapperkop when council decided to exercise access control into the reserve. COVID regulations state that all reserves and parks must have these in place otherwise they should be closed to the public. So the guards were asking for masks to be worn and hands to be sanitised before allowing anyone access and the outrage that followed was something to behold. I tried to explain to the cyclists that it's actually in our interest to comply so that we can keep the reserve open regardless about how silly the regulations are. Man did I cop some abuse and I decided to walk away before I belted some loud mouth, I don't get paid to take this sort of crap. My guess is that the reserve will soon be closed thanks to some idiots that can't think beyond their own entitlement.

And there we up North go and screw it up for everyone else who wanted to come and ride the world famous Klapperkop.

Sorry guys.

Seems quite obvious that we too are not immune to having entitled twats...

apply comic sans. You have obviously never ridden the Spruit in JHB before...

I find the ambiguity of using the standard font as opposed to comic sans or ALL CAPS elicits more interesting responses in general.

As if its not enough that we have to contend with criminals that want to take our belongings, bikes and possibly also our lives, now we have to deal with exercising people that behave like fn brats also.

:wacko: