How do you justify a Cape Epic entry?

DonatelloOnPinarello

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

yea but only because you live in a country that punishes the highest polluters at the point of purchase...so it is in your best interest to rather drive a Honda than a Lambo Huracan LOL, everybody knows the swiss hate fast cars and motorsport. is it still banned there btw?

EDIT: i see you are allowed to dragrace electric cars atleast now 

PS..for those that dont know. motorsport has been banned it Switzerland since 1955 

Go karting is allowed. I raced there twice back in my stupid days. They were in the process of mandating 4 stroke engines so the Biland 250 was becoming a popular choice 

Edited by DieselnDust

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Underachiever said:

I've not read all the replies & banter.  Will do so later.

How do you justify this. 

Simple, the same way you justify a Ferrari..... Audemars...R250k Spez or similar.... R7k coffee grinder...., 7 star hotel stay.... Super Yacht...... Penthouse apartment in Monaco.... I can go on and on...

Emotion, and lotsa cash!!!!

No need to justify coffee goods!

12 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Good

Motorsport is more dumb than paying 150k to ride some gravel roads, open trails and get jippo guts 

you are letting your dislike of tuned vw golfs revving away in your street cloud your judgment.

I forgive you. you know not what you say haha.

Motorsport is more important than you'd care to admit. the mere fact that it's a playground for engineers to test new ideas and push the boundaries of what is possible justifies it. Everything you use everyday has benefitted from it in some way or another. Materials, efficiency, logistics...everything.

3 minutes ago, MORNE said:

you are letting your dislike of tuned vw golfs revving away in your street cloud your judgment.

Motorsport is more important than you'd care to admit. the mere fact that it's a playground for engineers to test new ideas and push the boundaries of what is possible justifies it. Everything you use everyday has benefitted from it in some way or another. Materials, efficiency, logistics...everything.

it's still stupid. and yes tuned whatevers must faaaaark right off

2 minutes ago, MTBeer said:

it's still stupid. and yes tuned whatevers must faaaaark right off

touche????...but next time you drool over your plastic bike and plush suspension kinematics....remember that it wasn't actually developed in the EPIC or on the mountain lol. All trickle down tech developed in motorsport. 

16 minutes ago, MORNE said:

Or wars, they also tend to push the boundaries of development.

38 minutes ago, Underachiever said:

Simple, the same way you justify a Ferrari..... Audemars...R250k Spez or similar.... R7k coffee grinder...., 7 star hotel stay.... Super Yacht...... Penthouse apartment in Monaco.... I can go on and on...

One of these is not like the other......

Not because of the small price difference between a grinder and yacht, but because R7k for a grinder isn't even a high end one https://capecoffeebeans.co.za/collections/coffee-grinders

If you're gonna insult coffee lovers, at least get your facts straight ????

4 minutes ago, Mountain Bru said:

One of these is not like the other......

Not because of the small price difference between a grinder and yacht, but because R7k for a grinder isn't even a high end one https://capecoffeebeans.co.za/collections/coffee-grinders

If you're gonna insult coffee lovers, at least get your facts straight ????

pffftttt only 58K ... that must be used on instant coffee then

image.png.7076a4c35885fb96e52efcf078f8a53e.png

Just now, Hairy said:

Or wars, they also tend to push the boundaries of development.

fun you should bring this up...interesting parallels between the world wars and the dawn of motorsport as we know it back then. They walk hand in hand. For all intents and purposes modern motorsports are the new 'wars' though.

There was an interesting article last year in the height of Covid lockdown where the UK government approached the formula 1 teams  to help design and develop ventilators due to their rapid prototyping capabilities. Similar things happen in the aerospace industry. Nothing even remotely comes close aerodynamically to the things they get up to on single seater race cars...so they borrow from them alot. One example from the top of my head is NASA used materials developed by Mclaren on the front of the Space shuttle so it wouldn't burn up on re-entry lol. 

anyway...i digress.

EPIC sucks btw????

1 minute ago, MORNE said:

fun you should bring this up...interesting parallels between the world wars and the dawn of motorsport as we know it back then. They walk hand in hand. For all intents and purposes modern motorsports are the new 'wars' though.

There was an interesting article last year in the height of Covid lockdown where the UK government approached the formula 1 teams  to help design and develop ventilators due to their rapid prototyping capabilities. Similar things happen in the aerospace industry. Nothing even remotely comes close aerodynamically to the things they get up to on single seater race cars...so they borrow from them alot. One example from the top of my head is NASA used materials developed by Mclaren on the front of the Space shuttle so it wouldn't burn up on re-entry lol. 

anyway...i digress.

EPIC sucks btw????

Even bicycle manufacturers / parts manufacturers were getting on board assisting with shortfall on Covid essentials / equipment.