How do you justify a Cape Epic entry?

DonatelloOnPinarello

4 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

What profile. It is a tattoo of an event, for whatever reason. Some people think the SSWC is lame, personally I think they have a stick up their ass. The point is what people decide to do with ink is upto them. 

Ink whatever the hell you like on your body - your body your choice. I will respect you way more for earning a world champs tat than for paying to have a corporate logo inked on you though.

If a race means that much to you then at least spend some time/money on design and have something unique/stylised done. I suspect, however, that people who have logos inked on them will not be pleased if the viewer cannot recognise the logo/race and offer up the street cred they think comes with it.

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Eldron said:

Ink whatever the hell you like on your body - your body your choice. I will respect you way more for earning a world champs tat than for paying to have a corporate logo inked on you though.

If a race means that much to you then at least spend some time/money on design and have something unique/stylised done. I suspect, however, that people who have logos inked on them will not be pleased if the viewer cannot recognise the logo/race and offer up the street cred they think comes with it.

Wildly different scenario regarding corporate brand ink. Also wildly stupid imho opinion, but also not worth projecting about. 

I've seen some pretty good event ink work, a guy who the old Epic logo ages back, incorporated among some of his existing ink. What was also cool is that he did it for himself based on his experience, not for any perception of street cred. Which for the most part is likely why most people do it, not for some random commentator. 

11 minutes ago, Eldron said:

IMO sometimes better not to judge its not always about "street cred". I know someone who beat cancer done an Ironman got the logo to remind her of what she overcame.

Edited by _David_

2 minutes ago, _David_ said:

IMO sometimes better not to judge its not always about "street cred". I know someone who beat cancer done an Ironman got the logo to remind her of what she overcame.

We all do things for all sorts of reasons but like I said - have some fun with it - stylise it - make it your own. Branding yourself with corporate logos is just silly in my opinion. It's bad enough that we pay a penalty for buying "brand names" but to pay good money to advertise on your own body breaks some internal rule of mine...

1 hour ago, Headshot said:

I once tried to enter the Epic when it was only about R12k - didn't get in, but maybe I could get a tattoo - "attempted to get an entry for the Epic". 

I once won an entry in the lottery process

no money to pay for the entry  though

considered a tat "close but no cigar"

The following year, I had the money to burn but no entry so ...

4 minutes ago, Eldron said:

We all do things for all sorts of reasons but like I said - have some fun with it - stylise it - make it your own. Branding yourself with corporate logos is just silly in my opinion. It's bad enough that we pay a penalty for buying "brand names" but to pay good money to advertise on your own body breaks some internal rule of mine...

each to their own

I have a mate who bust his bones quite badly after a fall off his MTB - permanent lump on the collarbone one of the markers of this - he inked the place and date of the fall on the bump which I think is brilliant.

13 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

Wildly different scenario regarding corporate brand ink. Also wildly stupid imho opinion, but also not worth projecting about. 

I've seen some pretty good event ink work, a guy who the old Epic logo ages back, incorporated among some of his existing ink. What was also cool is that he did it for himself based on his experience, not for any perception of street cred. Which for the most part is likely why most people do it, not for some random commentator. 

Art is, of course, subjective. I love good ink and by good I mean unique, interesting, attractive etc.

Popping an IM, Quiksilver, Cape Epic logo on your body is the equivalent of printing the logo then framing it and calling it art.

My opinion of course....

14 minutes ago, Mamil said:

I have a mate who bust his bones quite badly after a fall off his MTB - permanent lump on the collarbone one of the markers of this - he inked the place and date of the fall on the bump which I think is brilliant.

If they all copied this idea, I think there would be very few world cup DH racers with an unmarked patch of skin left.

45 minutes ago, Eldron said:

Art is, of course, subjective. I love good ink and by good I mean unique, interesting, attractive etc.

Popping an IM, Quiksilver, Cape Epic logo on your body is the equivalent of printing the logo then framing it and calling it art.

My opinion of course....

come on @Eldron, an IM tat is earned? 

2 hours ago, Danger Dassie said:

What profile. It is a tattoo of an event, for whatever reason. Some people think the SSWC is lame, personally I think they have a stick up their ass. The point is what people decide to do with ink is upto them. 

Yes ! And if i think they look dirty it is also my own opinion  

18 minutes ago, karma said:

come on @Eldron, an IM tat is earned? 

Sure. So is Epic, CTCT, SSWC and Parkrun... Just seems silly to me to pay to do their event then pay to market their product. On your skin.

Maybe it is just me but tattoos should be special, unique etc. Copy'n'Paste ink is a wasted opportunity.