Backing out of a deal

Just Simba

Hi guys, I would love to hear your thoughts on sellers changing their minds last minute.

I agreed to buy 3 items from a seller here on Bikehub, we agreed on a price and I immediately paid a R75k deposit, sight unseen.

3 days later I asked if he could drop the items off at the LBS close to him for me to arrange courier with them.

He then tells me that all of a sudden only 1 item is available as there is another interested party in the other 2 items and that I shouldnt pay the outstanding R50k balance.

I was furious and demanded a refund, not sure if I over reacted, but I cant imagine that that is an ethical way of doing business, especially not on such a community platform.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, NeverNotRolling said:

I can understand your reaction. I'm afraid agreements on deals online don't hold much weight nowadays...

It certainly appears so. Integrity is a rare commodity 

27 minutes ago, Just Simba said:

Hi guys, I would love to hear your thoughts on sellers changing their minds last minute.

I agreed to buy 3 items from a seller here on Bikehub, we agreed on a price and I immediately paid a R75k deposit, sight unseen.

3 days later I asked if he could drop the items off at the LBS close to him for me to arrange courier with them.

He then tells me that all of a sudden only 1 item is available as there is another interested party in the other 2 items and that I shouldnt pay the outstanding R50k balance.

I was furious and demanded a refund, not sure if I over reacted, but I cant imagine that that is an ethical way of doing business, especially not on such a community platform.

Did you review him accordingly?

2 minutes ago, ACE Cycles said:

Did you review him accordingly?

Is that possible, even though the deal was not concluded?

I would count myself lucky that I'm still getting what I paid for in the end. I could never, EVER pay anyone 75k for anything that wasn't in front of me....I think it could have gone much worse.

5 minutes ago, Barry said:

You joined the hub on monday. You paid 75k to someone you don't know on a website to have never used before.

Is it just me?

Been browsing the hub for years, never signed up till recently.

I didnt think that I was taking a risk, as the sellers details all checked out on Facebook, Bikehub and his Bank.

I never for a second thought that my money was at risk when dealing with a well known businessman 

12 minutes ago, love2fly said:

I would count myself lucky that I'm still getting what I paid for in the end. I could never, EVER pay anyone 75k for anything that wasn't in front of me....I think it could have gone much worse.

I got my money back, I guess thats all that counts. Even after he backed out, I wasnt worried about getting my money back. His reputation was worth a way lot more than R75k, mine sure is

16 minutes ago, copperhead said:

You paid a cat 75 large as a deposit. They must have some rating or you know them? Not in a million years of corona would I do that. What are the chances of you telling us who the seller is?

What are the rules surrounding public naming and shaming?

13 minutes ago, love2fly said:

Forget in front. I would need whatever it is in my possession for two days to make sure the cops aren't coming looking for it 

Maybe more to this story. You don't back out of a 120k deal without good reason.  Money was refunded no problem. Maybe the seller can give the other side.