Cape Town Cycle Tour 2022

Pure Savage

I’ve done 3 x 94.7’s over the years but that was before kids. Those years it would be W2W, 94.7, DC then end it off with Die Burger or the Stellenbosch Cycle tour as it is known today. I was actually considering it this year but these days you need to carefully select and plan races according to budget and Brownie Balance. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, milky4130 said:

... but these days you need to carefully select and plan races according to budget and Brownie Balance. 

I'm down to CTCT and not even that is a certainty.! ????????

4 hours ago, DJR said:

Just as for a beautiful, scenic, varied route, nothing (except maybe Clarence Drive between Gordons Bay and Hangklip) can compete with the CTCT. 

How insanely awesome would it be to race on that stretch of road!

15 hours ago, Jase619 said:

Doing the 94.7 for the first time this year, despite LWB telling me its shite. Curiosity has got the better of me. Would normally do amashova, but since it didn’t happen this year(Durban to Pinetown and back is NOT amashova) we decided to try the 947. 

As to the CTCT vs 947, I have never heard anyone say: “Hey, let’s go on holiday for a week to Joburg!” 

I am not even sure when the 947 is but I assume it's this weekend by the amount of messages that I haven't bothered to read that popped up in the last 2 days on my club whatsapp group. So, when you in town? And where you staying? I remember we did chat about it but not sure I still have the chat. 

6 hours ago, bleedToWin said:

2008 I had a project in Hermanus.  Every 2 weeks I would drive back to Bellville via Clarence drive .... mid day, super quiet ..... absolutely surreal :thumbup:

13 hours ago, ouzo said:

many years ago Kyalami was open on certain days for cycling training, used to do that often.

It is the most special part of the race for me, not only the motoring heritage, the memories there with my dad watching the racing (long before they revamped the circuit in the 90's) and then my uncles ashes that are scattered in the kitty litter through the esses.

The highway section is cool mainly because you get the highway to ourselves for one day of the year.

you must be doing something wrong? i grew up there too and everybody knows that every single person has the highway to 'themselves' every single day haha. The other cars are merely chicanes, braking markers and / or obstacles to overcome in you sprint to get to the starting point of ratrace first. you are a racehorse with blinkers there. 

it took me a good 2 years to unlearn the 'de offensive' driving you get so used to living up there. And with that my mild road rage also disappeared. i'm super calm now driving around CT. I get why 'we' used to get so annoyed with CTnians driving around here. I'm one of them now. This place has nothing on jhb in that sense. You have not experienced aggressive taxi's until you have experienced jhb taxi drivers in a morning of afternoon commute haha.

The other month we were up there for the first time in a few years for a wedding and i had proper anxiety driving around in jhb in lunchtime traffic. Your spidey senses forget how insane it is navigating that place in peak hours. 

Edited by MORNE

I see the swartberg gran fondo is weekend before ctct next year. What a tough life! Two weekends in a row riding events in gorgeous places.

Let's hope we're between waves and we've vaccinated enough people to keep this disease mild and minor. 

10 hours ago, MORNE said:

you must be doing something wrong? i grew up there too and everybody knows that every single person has the highway to 'themselves' every single day haha. The other cars are merely chicanes, braking markers and / or obstacles to overcome in you sprint to get to the starting point of ratrace first. you are a racehorse with blinkers there. 

it took me a good 2 years to unlearn the 'de offensive' driving you get so used to living up there. And with that my mild road rage also disappeared. i'm super calm now driving around CT. I get why 'we' used to get so annoyed with CTnians driving around here. I'm one of them now. This place has nothing on jhb in that sense. You have not experienced aggressive taxi's until you have experienced jhb taxi drivers in a morning of afternoon commute haha.

The other month we were up there for the first time in a few years for a wedding and i had proper anxiety driving around in jhb in lunchtime traffic. Your spidey senses forget how insane it is navigating that place in peak hours. 

everything you say is true. I've done enough driving in CPT to know to re-adjust my expectations when I'm down there. 

As for driving up here, lockdown and then consequently getting a job 2km from home has shown just how much stress the daily commute puts on you

22 minutes ago, Mamil said:

I see the swartberg gran fondo is weekend before ctct next year. What a tough life! Two weekends in a row riding events in gorgeous places.

Let's hope we're between waves and we've vaccinated enough people to keep this disease mild and minor. 

And if things happen as they are supposed to, the Eroica SA will be the weekend after the CTCT........three weekends in a row..........mamils are going to have to train and consider recovery strategies, maybe even include massages, shaved legs and compression socks...........because I don't think beer alone is going to work.

5 minutes ago, DJR said:

And if things happen as they are supposed to, the Eroica SA will be the weekend after the CTCT........three weekends in a row..........mamils are going to have to train and consider recovery strategies, maybe even include massages, shaved legs and compression socks...........because I don't think beer alone is going to work.

O yes pleeeeaasse. Eroica nova on checkpoint Charlie here I come. The last eroica was just before corona hit our shores. I remember standing there listening to the race briefing looking at a group of Italian visitors and thinking "nah we'll be alright". 

21 hours ago, bleedToWin said:

Took me 10 years of cycling to get round to cycle that stretch. Only rode it for the first time last Sunday. What an awesome beautiful road to cycle. Will definitely be riding it again before the end of the year.

21 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Took me 10 years of cycling to get round to cycle that stretch. Only rode it for the first time last Sunday. What an awesome beautiful road to cycle. Will definitely be riding it again before the end of the year.

Many many moons again there was an Iron Man event based in Gordons bay that used a good stretch of that road for the ride....

1 hour ago, DJR said:

Eroica is scheduled for 7 may